Chipping Practice

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
How do you practice when you head to the chipping green? What are you favorite drills, or ideas to work on? How do you get the most out of your time?

I like to just hit off of different lies so kind of get some distance control for the round.

Distance control and picking out a spot to land my pitches is what I focus on the most when I am at the chipping area.

I have a hotel towel on my bag and will fold that in half and lay it on the green where I want to land the ball and try to hit that.

I can move as far back as 50 yards and will move back in 10 yard increments to work on distance control.

I usually don't have a lot of time, so I'm just looking to make solid contact out of a few different lies... maybe a short-sided shot or two

I like to pick several spots around the green from where I have to hit different types of shots and try to get up and down from each spot

This is an interesting question because there are so many possible shots a person could practice. I focus setup, and making clean contact with the. From there, hitting the landing areas and flight windows, this usually involves a good degree of ball position and face angle manipulation.

I like bump and runs, and the hop and check, and try to pay decent attention to both. I practice high/flop shots less, mostly because I try to avoid them. I definitely seek out a variety of lies and sloping/breaking angles to keep it challenging and interesting.

If I am the only one there, I will just toss a ball out and hit my chip and then putt it out. I had read about this style in Harvey Penick's book and it seems like a great way to get used to having to deal with a bad chip.

In my preparation for the Morgan Cup last year I came up with a few games and just kept trying to set a higher score each time. It forced competition and pressure into my practice

I’ll throw 6 balls around the green and play from where they lie. Swing and repeat.

I like to just hit off of different lies so kind of get some distance control for the round.

Pretty much this for me too. I’ve got a few different shots I tend to struggle with so I’ll practice those as well. no super dedicated regimen though.

My chipping practice is three fold. Not only does it involve working on my chipping stroke, and distance control, I also practice reading the green for chip at hand. Chips roll alot, similiar to a putt. Might as well read them too.

I will chip from various distances from around the green to various pin locations.

Once I have my chipping well in hand, I will add my putter to the practice, and hole out putting. My goal is to have a chip, and a one putt. Two putts are acceptable, but not something I am proud of.

I practice the same way with pitch shots.

I will usually try to play to a hole 2 or 3 different ways, low/high/med trajectory shots.
Bump & Runs, med height chip, higher chips.

I'll usually bring my shag bag along and practice from all different distances and lies and try different types of shots. I really don't have a method to my madness.

Get a lot of practice at the putting green. Chipping from different distances and lies.

How do you practice when you head to the chipping green? What are you favorite drills, or ideas to work on? How do you get the most out of your time?
I practice both at home and on the chipping greens. My home practice helps the most. I have 100 yds marked out in 10 yard increments with orange flags posted every 10 yards. I would hit my wedges to 30, 60, 90/100 and I also chip into a chipping net too. The thing about nets though you have to consider your rollout on your chips, but nets do help for accuracy.

Practice?? What is this "practice "you speak of?
?

For me it's usually two shots, the bump and run with higher lofted clubs (PW & 9i mostly) and soft chips/flops inside of 20yds with my 58 PM grind. Those two shots have save me on more holes than I can remember.

I just practice the short chip and then back up and practice with about 5-7 yards in between my ball and the green.

I'm looking for a Chipping Mat - I've seen on on IG a billion times and now that I want to buy one I can't find it.
This one had like stakes in it so that you could anchor it to the ground. Small, like 8.5 x 11

Anyone remember seeing it or know something like it?

I'm looking for a Chipping Mat - I've seen on on IG a billion times and now that I want to buy one I can't find it.
This one had like stakes in it so that you could anchor it to the ground. Small, like 8.5 x 11

Anyone remember seeing it or know something like it?
The one that shows if you hit it thin /fat? If so it's below but I've seen mixed reviews of it :https://acustrikegolf.com/

The one that shows if you hit it thin /fat? If so it's below but I've seen mixed reviews of it :https://acustrikegolf.com/
No - That guy is all over - It's more like astroturf that you can carry with you if you are conditions were the golf course doesn't want you beating up the fairways, so you hit off this mat. I searched on my phone for it, so I'm betting that IG sees my search and shows me all of the items that match that as "Sponsored" (Big Brother is always watching)

MY offseason practice. I have a carpet-covered floor and stairway. From two feet from the first stair, I practice hitting balls to one of three stair levels. I use the same club changing my stance position or opening the face. Usually a 52* wedge. I also pay attention to the spin of the ball when in the air.

I’ll work on my 1/4 swing shot Pitch for awhile, focusing on my specific carry distance I’m looking for. I’ll mix in a few ‘fringe’ Chipping shots too when you’re right on the edge, but can’t putt. I use everything from an 8i to my wedges to control distances and runout. Lastly, I like to randomly scatter balls all around and then work out each shot like I was playing a live round.

I try to work on my setup and fundamentals when I practice short game. Ball position, getting the shaft as vertical as possible, lightly soling the club etc.,

I'm also trying to stay with a consistent pre -shot routine even on my practice shots. That part is a real challenge as sometimes I just start peppering away.

My chipping was a disappointment yesterday. The easy excuse would be the goofy grip I'm having to use while my finger heals but in all honesty I'm rusty and need practice.

Back