Lost Golfer

Working on trying to improve
Reaction score
Handicap
I don’t come on here very often but I do when I have a problem. I’ve got chipping issues and could use some guidance. I’ve probably asked for help on this before but here goes anyways. When I chip I’m ok from right off the green. The problem is when I get a little further back than the edge and need to take the club back a little further in the backswing. I all of a sudden go into lunatic mode and try to quickly jab at the ball which either causes a chunky chip or in some instances a semi-sh**k. I will go slow on the way back and then try to increase speed as I get to the ball. No rhythm whatsoever in a jabbing motion. Most of my chips are very low with very little height. I could use some tips/guidance/help if anyone can make some suggestions what to work on. Thank you.

i'm with you, op. i used to love chipping and pitching, but like 4-5 years ago something happened and now it's a nightmare. i spent last year working hard on my full swing, and although it still needs work i'm ok with where we are. this year will be trying to fix my short game. it's going to SUCK.

This thread hits home. Going to re-watch Kisners advice.

The Kiz video that @pattyboy21 posted above was going to be my reply. It’s a great place to start.

I don’t do it but a lot of people just get the weight on the front leg and basically make a putting stroke with the wedge and it works for them. Probably the simplest way to chip.

So many vids and tips out there. I just saw a Pat Perez tip where he talks about using "dead arms" when he's a little further out. He doesn't have a lot of wrist hinge and just making that little change has help me quite a lot. Lately I've been hinging at my wrists almost none and it has helped me develop better contact with higher flight.

I recommend Unconscious Scoring by Dave Stockton. Regardless of what you choose, stick with it for a while and work through tough stretches.

Buy a chipper, you have to work at it. It doesn't feel like cheating.

i'm with you, op. i used to love chipping and pitching, but like 4-5 years ago something happened and now it's a nightmare. i spent last year working hard on my full swing, and although it still needs work i'm ok with where we are. this year will be trying to fix my short game. it's going to SUCK.

Nah, it's going to be fun. Kinzer vid, though, does help.

I have times where my chip/pitching is great and then it's as if someone sucked my chipping from my golf body. Then I'll watch something like Kinzer and it comes back.

Nah, it's going to be fun. Kinzer vid, though, does help.

I have times where my chip/pitching is great and then it's as if someone sucked my chipping from my golf body. Then I'll watch something like Kinzer and it comes back.

if watched that video. a lot. and, well, here we are lmao

if watched that video. a lot. and, well, here we are lmao

You are paying Tyler, like I am paying my guy ... so that's the guy to whom to listen, as you know. When I stopped watching YouTube instructors and only to my guy, my game "it's a miracle" improved.

The Kinser vid was good for tempo and keeping chest and arms/hands in sync.

You are paying Tyler, like I am paying my guy ... so that's the guy to whom to listen, as you know. When I stopped watching YouTube instructors and only to my guy, my game "it's a miracle" improved.

The Kinser vid was good for tempo and keeping chest and arms/hands in sync.

exactly. tune out the noise, focus on what you're paying to focus on! funny enough, i made a post in my swing journey thread yesterday. ty gave me a really good image and feel, and i was able to practice a little bit this morning. it helped a ton, and i'll continue to get it on video since i have a very clear picture of what i'm supposed to be doing.

The Kiz video is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much! Time to get to work on it.

My main problem is that I bring the club back at a nice tempo with my body and arms connected and then make a quick move down jabbing at the ball. Most of the time I hit the middle of the ball which skulls it. When I really concentrate and slow it down I quit on the shot which results in a chunk. Almost like having stage fright. Anyone else with that issue and if so anything to help with that?

My main problem is that I bring the club back at a nice tempo with my body and arms connected and then make a quick move down jabbing at the ball. Most of the time I hit the middle of the ball which skulls it. When I really concentrate and slow it down I quit on the shot which results in a chunk. Almost like having stage fright. Anyone else with that issue and if so anything to help with that?

I have that issue. My biggest problem is I never practice. That’s going to change. It’s sucks watching everyone get up and down for birdie or par while I’m taking 4 just to get on the green because my short game sucks

Thank you. I hadn’t thought of the underhand toss to help with the pace. I’ll give that a shot. Going to the range tomorrow to work on it. Thanks again to all that responded.

I tried all sorts of chipping actions but the one that gives me most feel is the one where I am making lots of body movements to meet my intended task. This is where I am not consciously trying to prevent motion to limit errors. My legs , head and body are bobbing and turning all over the place (like that old UK comedian Jack Douglas)

But no joking , I always seem to return to the one below

PS. He uses the word 'gravity' but he means feel the dynamic weight of the club and just be in tune with it.

Here's a more recent video

It took quite a bit of time to 'Let Go' of control and I used impact tape to see how consistent my strikes were doing this method.

Last edited:

I got a little yippy with the chipping/pitching a few years back. My problem was that i didnt really know the difference between a chip and a pitch. I just tried to hit down on everything and my contact was spotty. So, having lousy technique created a lack of confidence and tension in my short game.

What has helped me was first to understand the difference between using the leading edge for a chip and using the bounce for a pitch shot. Over time, I've developed better mechanics and now my short game has a much better flow and is not as rushed.

There are a million videos of different techniques of how people chip and pitch. You'll have to find the ones that works best for you.

For me, the techniques that don't require precise contact are the ones that work best. I like it when the instructors teach how to use the bounce and its OK to hit the ground first. Also, realizing you don't have to hit it stone dead to make par helps as well.

You might also take a short game lesson from a teaching pro. If so, I'd ask him to show his method of utilizing the bounce on your wedge shots as a starting point.

Good luck !!!

The video is good stuff. A few thoughts to round things out.

Fundamentally, the problem you are having is a mix of lost confidence and not knowing how to fix it. Your chipping action is the classic 'Let's get this embarrassment over with as quick as possible.' So let's get this fixed and your confidence (and tempo issues) will go away.

The two main principles behind any consistent chipping action is getting the club to ride on the bounce of the wedge and getting the wedge to slide under the ball. Everything Kisner is teaching is designed to achieve those results. Rotating the chest shallows the swing. The one handed technique forces you to slow the downswing and promotes rotating the body to propel the club instead of the arms and hands.

Should I cock my wrists? The answer is this depends on how high you want to the ball to fly. This wasn't explicitly discussed in the video. The first answer is not by manipulating your hands. With a chip you want a languid swing back and through. Wrist cock when applied to a chip should be a function of grip pressure and when you change direction. With soft hands, if you start your downswing while the club head is still moving back, you create wrist cock. If you wait for the club head to lose all momentum and pause before starting down mostly with gravity and some body rotation, you'll have little to no wrist cock. The key in either case is you have to let the club release by allowing the club head to catch up so it's right in front of the chest as the club head passes under the ball.

Practice Tips: Practice most (say 90%) of your chips on the tightest lie you can find. Usually that's the collar or hardpan you find around the green. Why? This is the chipping condition that has the smallest margin for error. Master these and the rest is easy. Split the remaining 10% on lies in deep rough with the ball up or down. When sitting on top you need to learn to pass the club under the ball without going too deep. Sitting down requires a firmer grip and steeper descent into the grass while bottoming out past the ball. You'll learn by practice how interaction with the grass affects how far the ball flies.

Last edited:
At the range, the Kisner vid worked for me. Body and arms moving together in synch and keep turning (like Spieth). I enjoyed chipping and pitching today.

First time I've seen the Kevin video and it is terrific. Let me state for you the opposite which I have done and fight. I think I fight it because when I get nervous I tend to want to take all body out of the motion. Notice Kevin says of course you are supposed to move your hips/knees.

the opposite- I take a relatively big swing with little to no lower body motion. About 1/2 way down the downswing the right hand wants to help so it grabs the club. In doing so, it actually makes the left hand start to slow down and shaft lean goes away as the head tries to flip at the ball. Very hard to hit one clean this way.

to get the feeling of the left arm leading with lower body movement I had to slow my backswing and transition to a crawl

Think of it like a putter stroke, just like Kiz shows in that video. Turn the shoulders, not the arms.

Back