DotD or nothing!
1624294465211.gif

What??? So just to clarify you Have 0 wedges in you bag???
That PW or GW is lofted my friend.

I use my GW or 8 depending on the rollout I desire.
I really only use my 56 or 60* in the trap or when shortsided.
I have a p but it’s the same as a 9 iron and a sw but no gap or high lofts

What do you chip with?
What’s the best club or clubs?

do you use ratios?
In the UK, the courses are such that I chip with as little loft as possible. My go to is a 9 iron but I often use an 8 or 7 too. Very very rarely a LW, only when there’s no option.

Chip with my 56 and when needed bump and run with whatever clubs is called for.

I use lots of different clubs depending on the situation. I use 7, 8, 9, PW, AW, 54 and 58*. I also use my 5W around the green depending on situation. I don't generally putt from off the green as I am not very good with the long putter that I use from off of the green.

Obviously highly dependent on situation. If I'm in the rough I've become very comfortable with my 58. If I have a nice lie and direct line to the hole I usually grab my 50*. If I'm just a couple feet off the green, on the fringe, I like to bump and run a 7 iron.

During the course of playing I usually use a 56*, but it depends on the shot. if I have a back pin and lots of green I might use a PW or even a putter if there isn't a lot of room.

But, every time I am at the range I always end hitting 2 sequences of a standard chip/low runner/high flop. Never hitting the same shot twice in a row, always using the same club.

I have spent a lot of time working on each of those shots, and practicing it, even for only a few shots at a time, helps me to use them all on the course.

But overall strategy, the sooner you can get the ball on the green and running the better off you will be, but depends on your greens, the lie, the room you have. Having to play a flop shot to a short sided pin isn't ideal, but at least I know I can make a decent attempt at it.

Been using my 8 iron with pretty good success around the green, lately been expermenting with 60 wedge and it's been great so far, love watching the ball hit the breaks when it lands. just took some time on the range.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

In the past 3 months I've gone from being a LOUSY chipper to mediocre/fair/good by switching from a wedge to a 7 iron or 6 iron. No chunks and just using a putting stroke. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks (73 years old).

Usually my 54 and manipulate the face as needed. Maybe a third of the time I’ll use my 60

I use my 50 degree to bump and run 9 times out of 10.

In the past 3 months I've gone from being a LOUSY chipper to mediocre/fair/good by switching from a wedge to a 7 iron or 6 iron. No chunks and just using a putting stroke. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks (73 years old).

thats more to my liking! JW from true grit

does anyone have a rule of thumb when a chip becomes a punch shot? I find talking to friends that we don't have a common definition of what is a chip, a punch or a pitch.

it is hard to talk about hands or no hands without a definition. on number 15 yesterday my brother and law were both 77 yards out to center of green but the pin was just 8 foot or so off off the front. strange distance for both of us. He threw a wedge of some sort way up in the air and was like 5 yards short of the green. I took a 9i and took 1/2 swing with no wrist and maybe the ball got 15 foot off ground; rolled past the pin about 25ft. whatever you call what I did the motion between my chip and what I did was the same; only that I took a bigger back swing

How does grass affect you? (I did not say anything about weed) thick ruff? You like more or less loft?
Granny on the Beverly hillbillies, I’m going to smoke some crawdads, but first I need a little pot!

I grew playing on 9 hole par 3 Muni. 8 iron and a putter
At 74 , still chip with 8 iron 80% of the time, putter rest of the time.
Just matter of confidence and muscle memory
Although desperately want to learn how to consistently hit a flop shot. Have a 60* and 58* wedge and working on it

does anyone have a rule of thumb when a chip becomes a punch shot? I find talking to friends that we don't have a common definition of what is a chip, a punch or a pitch.

it is hard to talk about hands or no hands without a definition. on number 15 yesterday my brother and law were both 77 yards out to center of green but the pin was just 8 foot or so off off the front. strange distance for both of us. He threw a wedge of some sort way up in the air and was like 5 yards short of the green. I took a 9i and took 1/2 swing with no wrist and maybe the ball got 15 foot off ground; rolled past the pin about 25ft. whatever you call what I did the motion between my chip and what I did was the same; only that I took a bigger back swing

yes the next time your practicing multiple clubs 4, 6, 8, 9, pw etc. from the same place with the same swing, study how much they carry and how much they roll out, see what’s best for a close, mid, and far pin location! It’s similar to finding your distances of your irons with a standard swing.

them golfs is tough critters, first you shoot them, then wack em with these here clubs, then you stomp em with these spiked shoes! Jethro Bodine

How I improved quite a bit lately is just using 1 club: 58*
FYI: probably should not take any advice from my words

For low chips I put it off my back foot, short backswing and accelerate through with shaft lean forward and holding the hinge(probably not textbook but works for me)

For medium to high I set it in the middle of my stance with shaft straight, regulate the height with how much I hinge/release my wrists and regulate length of shot with how much I turn my torso

Last edited:
Jed says I can’t wait to tangle with one of them golfs!

What do you chip with?
What’s the best club or clubs?

do you use ratios?
I usually use my 7-iron. I play it just like its a putt. I always laugh and shake my head when I see someone pull out their lob wedge and try to fly it to the flag and make it spin when they would just pull out their 7-iron and treat it like a putt.

Jed says I can’t wait to tangle with one of them golfs!
Just curious, what country are you from? Your use of the English language seems to go through a converter. Not a dig, just an observation. It might explain why you do not always get the responses you are looking for. :whistle:

Just curious, what country are you from? Your use of the English language seems to go through a converter. Not a dig, just an observation. It might explain why you do not always get the responses you are looking for. :whistle:

Texas is there another state?
It’s all good!

Back