# 43 and #45 go with #47 and refer to the Beverly hillbilly’s

I usually use my 7-iron. I play it just like its a putt. I always laugh and shake my head when I see someone pull out their lob wedge and try to fly it to the flag and make it spin when they would just pull out their 7-iron and treat it like a putt.

I do as well. many times in a round a friend will be like 4ft off the green in rough and tries some sort of short pitch. sometime they pull it off but mostly they blade it to the other side of rough. My guess is they don't internalize how much simpler and lower risk just chipping with an iron wouild be

It really depends on what I am standing over. Lie of course,distance, etc. most of the time it is either my 60* or my 54* but I have been know you pull a GW or others just depending on the situation. One thing I have learned is not to get out the cart and carry 1 wedge. I always carry both of those now unless I am being lazy. I was finding I often had the wrong one in my hand when I got to the ball and I didn’t want to go back to the cart for a the other so I would try and get creative and usually not hit a quality chip.

I’ll used anything from 5i to my 58. It’s 100% dependent on the situation.

Given the chance I want to fly it 3 paces on and roll it to the hole. My chances of executing that shot properly are much higher than a flop or a hop-and-stop.

If I have to try a flop or a low checker I can, but I’ll avoid those and take the higher percentage bump and run whenever possible.

It depends on the lie, pin placement and what is between me and the hole;
My first choice is my 46* PW. I started this game with nothing below a 9i so a bump and run is what I know best. It also takes a shorter swing and has the least variables to encounter IMO.

If I have to get over a hazard from the rough, I'll use my high bounce 54* SW. If I am short sided, then my 60*.

I use basically the same technique except with my putter. Figure if I'm going to use a putting stroke, might as well be with a club designed to work that way.
I'm the same way. Bump and run is a safer bet for me. The old adage "A missed putt is less damaging than a missed chip/pitch" If I can putt, I'll putt. Thicker lie, I'll use a hybrid. Get it rolling on the green. A bit more distance, whatever club to meet conditions. Flying water, bunkers etc.

yes the next time your practicing multiple clubs 4, 6, 8, 9, pw etc. from the same place with the same swing, study how much they carry and how much they roll out, see what’s best for a close, mid, and far pin location! It’s similar to finding your distances of your irons with a standard swing.

them golfs is tough critters, first you shoot them, then wack em with these here clubs, then you stomp em with these spiked shoes! Jethro Bodine
Agree. Pick the same target on the range. Say 75 yard. Then start using each of those 4, 6, 8, 9, or wedges and see what they do and what you have to do to hit that target

Them golfs are tough critters

Agree. Pick the same target on the range. Say 75 yard. Then start using each of those 4, 6, 8, 9, or wedges and see what they do and what you have to do to hit that target

Them golfs are tough critters
Do this around the green with chipping have a close pin a mid range pin and a far pin study
mr. drysdale shot 67 of them rascals, that’s dandy!
Anyone know any more good golf tv or films?

One of the biggest challenges for me is to stop grabbing the lofted wedges, something like a 9i offers more forgiveness with the soft sole and super low bounce, and less swing speed is needed, it just makes sense and I struggle to get it through my thick skull.

Last edited:
One of the biggest challenges for me is to stop grabbing the lofted wedges, a 9i offers more forgiveness with the soft sole and super low bounce, and less swing speed is needed, it just makes sense and I struggle to get it through my thick skull.
More control too!
Are you arguing with me or agreeing with me? TAGS

Anyone know any good tv or film where golf is involved

The Golf Channel? 😉

MV5BZTExNThlZjYtNmRkZi00OWUxLWJmY2EtMzNmMzQwODQxNWE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

No sci-fi please
What about Jeeves and Wooster?
Several good golf episodes

I'd say my 53 or 58-degree wedges cover 95% of my chipping efforts. If I need to bump through a lot of grass before the green, or bump-and-run across a long section of green, I'll use anything from an 8-iron to a PW.

From rough? 54 or 50 wedge depending upon the slope.
Tight lie from 30 - 70 yds? 54 wedge.
Tight lie from 20 yds with no obstructions and firm conditions? Putter.
Rough from 20 yds? 50 wedge.
Hard pan from inside 50? 58 wedge.

Thick grass a heavy club like a 4 seems to cut thru better than a lighter club

I usually bump and run with my 50* wedge. If the distance is more than about 10-15 yards I may use a pw or 9 iron depending on the pin placement.

I stand corrected! Thanks

United we stand! Either we hang together or we shall surely hang separately! BF
Even after covid and social distancing I’m not gonna wanna hangout with some of you guys!

Back