Choose your own adventure. 14th hole at We Ko Pa - Saguaro course

mtbloco

Grandaddy X!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
On Sept. 20th, our golf league will play at We Ko Pa and play the Saguaro course. According to Golfweek, this is the highest rated course in Arizona and #71 "Best course you can play" in the US.

1599781020098.png

To say i'm excited to finally take on the beautiful and challenging course is an understatement. Some of you could come join us, as we have some slots available.....It would be great if any THPer could join us.

For those that travel is the limiting factor, let's play the 14th hole together. First I'll describe the hole and get you any additional the information you need and then you tell us all how you would approach this hole. I'll follow up after our match and post my Arccos captured result from this hole.

Tale of the tape: We are playing the White tees. 6252/68.8/125. This is the #2 rated hole on the course.

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 9.18.56 AM.png

Google earth measurements place the 250 yard mark from the white tees at the white dot in the elbow of the left fairway. The end of the right fairway is 297 yards. The landing areas around the 250 mark on 41 yards to the left and 29 yards to the right. What is hard to tell from google earth is that the fairways are undulating and elevated from the desert. You want to hit the green grass on this course.

If you go left and hit it 250, it's 205 yards to the buncher short of the green. If you go right and hit it 250, it is 241 yards to the center of the green.

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 9.16.43 AM.png

My course cap is 23. We play Net/Gross skins, so I'm taking my 2 pops and going for a par/net eagle! How are you going to attack this hole?

Great looking hole. THP played an event there a few years back looked great

I have played it once and will likely play it the same way. First time I didn’t hit a great drive and laid up by the green for an easy par. If the wind is crazy, I could change my mind.
525A82B5-137A-48D4-8640-D536188DF7EE.jpeg
arccos tells me to go left with driver or right with 3w. I will probably go right with driverBCAF99F8-A724-4F42-8A0E-67884F9F00AD.png

Always go left on this hole. It is wider and easier second shot.

Also that hole is way up hill, plays much longer.

I'm pulling on my big boy pants and going driver to the right for 230, 5w for second shot around 195 and, hopefully leaving a easy wedge to the green. From there....only the golf gods know! 😎

It’s a skins game. Going right fairway.

I may line up as if I’m going to the left, but end up going right! 🤣

I will hit as far as I can down right and if I am far enough, going for the green in two

Right fairway unless the prevailing wind makes that a tougher drive than it needs to be.

OMG. I love the course and wish I could make it happen. The Gauntlet a few years ago was so awesome. This is one of those must play courses anytime I’m in Scottsdale.

OMG. I love the course and wish I could make it happen. The Gauntlet a few years ago was so awesome. This is one of those must play courses anytime I’m in Scottsdale.

Let us know next time youre in town. I live about 35 mins from this course.

I’ll aim to the right and watch my ball hook into the left fairway.

Aim for the little strip of waste area between the two fairways. You'll never hit it, and end up in the left or right fairway. :unsure:(y)

So far from AZ.

Driver to the left centre of the right hand fairway, followed by 3 wood to leave 94 yards in. 50 degree wedge to 37 feet, three putt for bogey.

Sorry, gotta be realistic:p

So far from AZ.

Driver to the left centre of the right hand fairway, followed by 3 wood to leave 94 yards in. 50 degree wedge to 37 feet, three putt for bogey.

Sorry, gotta be realistic:p
It’s a beast of a hole.

It’s a beast of a hole.
This one is harder for me, gets me every time and #1 handicap

4_saguaro_holes.jpg

Beautiful hole and golf course. Have fun. It's a 3 shotter anyway with my lack of horse power, especially if it plays way uphill. I'd normally aim at that right fairway but I don't like the looks of where that left edge pinches in directly across from 'the nose' on the left fairway. That's likely in my landing zone and I typically draw it. I'm guessing balls in that vicinity will kick/roll left off the edge and into the desert. So I'll play to left fairway instead. It's wider and if I happen to find it I'll decide then whether to lay short of the fairway bunkers or carry them depending on the numbers. If the lips on those traps don't look imposing I won't even worry about them. Either way it looks like a safe easy third shot into the green. Wimpy I know, but a very easy par for me if I play it that way. That was your goal too, right? If I was just a little bit longer I'd play it differently. Sadly I'm not long.

Last edited:
Still waiting for @wubears71 to tell us he's going to join us! 👀

My tendency with the driver lately is a slight push, so I'm aiming right at the elbow of the left fairway. Even if I hit it straight, since it plays uphill, I should still be safe, I think. I've actually had marginal success, lately, hitting the 3w off the deck. With my cap, and playing a skins game, I'm probably playing that club from there and hopefully leaving myself a wedge (possibly short iron) in. 😬

Still waiting for @wubears71 to tell us he's going to join us! 👀
If it was one week later I’m there. I have a scout camping trip with my son next weekend. But my wife did say I can go on a golf trip before her surgery so I’m heading to Vegas the following week.

Hole #11 at this course near me gave me inspiration for my sorta smart assey strategy, except this one is a par 4.
If you aim for the bunkers in the middle and slightly push or pull it: fairway. :ROFLMAO: It is legitimately my strategy for this hole and it rarely fails. :LOL:

I’m listening to Arccos here since it’s a course I don’t know... but I would also want to see what the wind is doing that day and what it really “looks” like.

Interestingly though, all three options presented by the Arccos Caddie suggest I go right...

4B2FA923-25A7-426B-B5C4-E1BAB7F82F8F.png

Back