Choose Your UST Mamiya Shafts

ESX in F2. That's what I playing now and they work for me. If you could suggest an equivalent that might work better I'm all ears.

I could use all of your advice on choosing the shafts for my Hogan irons. I will decide and change my mind multiple times between the PTxPros and Edge irons. then add the 50, 54, 58 wedges.

What shafts do I play now:

Irons:
5i-GW Ping AMT 2.0 S flex. 104g G410 irons
4i. UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460 F4. 67g (in my Cobra Speedzone)

Wedges:
54* CBX2 with Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge
60* Vokey SM7 with their "wedge flex" steel shaft.

Arccos distances:
4i: 202 total. 220-236 off the tee.
7i : 164
P: 129
54: 94

Initial thoughts....Recoil 95 or Proto 95. F4. then transition to Wedge Flex.
How do you like the 460 in the SZ? That's what I have in my TECs and I love it. Looks like it was renamed and dropped the 460 from it.

I could use all of your advice on choosing the shafts for my Hogan irons. I will decide and change my mind multiple times between the PTxPros and Edge irons. then add the 50, 54, 58 wedges.

Irons:

Wedges:

Arccos distances:

Playing Recoil 95 Proto in my irons and standard Recoil 95s in my wedges. Both in F4 and really can't see any need to change. :cool:

Irons:

Wedges:

Arccos distances:

I'm with you man, know I'm going to struggle with this decision. I'm planning to demo the Edge and PTX head to head and try to set my stupid male ego aside.

I've tried the 125 Proto F5. Had them in some irons for a bit but the swingweight was way off. Was a smoother feel compared to the ctaper I was playing at the time.

Probably those or the 110 Proto F5

Irons:

Wedges:

Arccos distances:

I play very similar weights and distances to you, and I have been very happy with the Recoil 110 Prototype in my irons. I liked the extra weight which helps me stay on plane better and tightened up my dispersion. I would also go with that shafts 4-PW.

Wedges I would think either Recoil 125 Prototype or Wedge Prototype.
I think @BigDill could be on to something. I've got the Recoil 95 F4 Protos in my irons but you are much younger and stronger than I am. The Recoil 110 F4 Protos come in at about 107-110 grams so pretty close to the weight you are playing now. Like him, I also play the same shaft in my 4i (that is the same as in the rest of my irons) and I love it!

I would want to try the Recoil 110 and the recoil 95 prototype. I have a high swing speed, high ball flight, and high spin. I think a heavier stiffer shaft would work best for me, hopefully that doesn't offset the benefits I'm looking for in terms of alleviating my golfers elbow.

I play very similar weights and distances to you, and I have been very happy with the Recoil 110 Prototype in my irons. I liked the extra weight which helps me stay on plane better and tightened up my dispersion. I would also go with that shafts 4-PW.

Wedges I would think either Recoil 125 Prototype or Wedge Prototype.

When I got my Pings, I tried heavier shafts. On that day when my swing was very new, my dispersion got worse when I went up in weight. Is it still that way today?

Im hoping for better dispersion with this iron set.

How do you like the 460 in the SZ? That's what I have in my TECs and I love it. Looks like it was renamed and dropped the 460 from it.

That 4i is more like a driving iron and do everything club for me. It is dramatically lighter than my other irons by choice. To promote max distance. I really like it. I helps me elevate that 19 deg iron.

I'm with you man, know I'm going to struggle with this decision. I'm planning to demo the Edge and PTX head to head and try to set my stupid male ego aside.

where are you going to get the demo? I looked into it through Hogan, but I wouldn’t get clubs until late October.

I think @BigDill could be on to something. I've got the Recoil 95 F4 Protos in my irons but you are much younger and stronger than I am. The Recoil 110 F4 Protos come in at about 107-110 grams so pretty close to the weight you are playing now. Like him, I also play the same shaft in my 4i (that is the same as in the rest of my irons) and I love it!
I might be younger but you are out hitting me with those 95 Protos!

I’m going with Recoil 95 Proto F4 in my irons & Recoil Wedge Proto in my wedges...

This set up works really well for me.

When I got my Pings, I tried heavier shafts. On that day when my swing was very new, my dispersion got worse when I went up in weight. Is it still that way today?

Im hoping for better dispersion with this iron set.

That 4i is more like a driving iron and do everything club for me. It is dramatically lighter than my other irons by choice. To promote max distance. I really like it. I helps me elevate that 19 deg iron.

where are you going to get the demo? I looked into it through Hogan, but I wouldn’t get clubs until late October.

I think (hope) you're looking at the arrival date if you order the clubs themselves. The demo's are usually shipped out pretty quickly.

Highly recommend the Recoil 110 for Irons. Wedge protos for wedges sound fantastic

Fitting recommended 125 F5 Recoil Proto's. Currently playing CT125 Oban's so weight seems about right. I'd either go that direction or 110 F5 Recoil Protos.

I think (hope) you're looking at the arrival date if you order the clubs themselves. The demo's are usually shipped out pretty quickly.

Maybe, I just ordered a demo of the Edge. There are currently no PTxPro available for demo.

Recoil 80 F4 - maximum control and distance with mid launch.
7 iron shaft length is 38.5”
I believe mine may be 36.75”
This would give me almost an extra 2” in length that I believe I may need due to height.

FB519478-D00B-4338-93FC-C943C4EA725B.png

Maybe, I just ordered a demo of the Edge. There are currently no PTxPro available for demo.
Literally just did the same thing :LOL:. Emailed customer service, they said to check back tomorrow afternoon as they get demos back daily

Having never hit any of these, first thought is standard 110s to try something a bit lighter.

Recoil 80 for my irons and the wedge proto’s

Recoil ESX

The 4i in the PTx Pro set plays more like a traditional iron and less like a driving iron, which is why I said same shaft. If you went UiHi (if it’s even an option) then I would consider going with a different shaft option depending on what you are trying to achieve.

The 4 and 5 irons in the PTx Pro set are so ready to hit though, and are probably my all
Time favorite 4 and 5 iron clubs ever. I love the 5 iron.

The 4i in the PTx Pro set plays more like a traditional iron and less like a driving iron, which is why I said same shaft. If you went UiHi (if it’s even an option) then I would consider going with a different shaft option depending on what you are trying to achieve.

The 4 and 5 irons in the PTx Pro set are so ready to hit though, and are probably my all
If I could combo a UiHi 4 with the PTX Pro's I would. Problem is to do that It'd require the Icons in 8-PW and that's scary :LOL:

I’m thinking I could have a two 4i bag after this experience. With lots of UST Recoil goodness !

If I could combo a UiHi 4 with the PTX Pro's I would. Problem is to do that It'd require the Icons in 8-PW and that's scary :LOL:
Yeah no UiHi for me.

I'd go with Recoil 110 F4 or Recoil 90 Proto F4

Back