Easy for me. I would choose the most forgiving irons.

Tough choice or easy to decide?

As long as one gets to pick a category -then that would seem easy and doable. Getting clubs blind would be more problematic. Sending a scratch golfer a super-game improvement set of irons with a big offset, thick top line etc. would be a disservice to the brand.

It would be sticking with the type of club that I know I like - which for me is the game improvement / players distance model. Mizuno Hot Metal or Hot Metal Pro for example, or Callaway Apex or Apex DCB. Given the choice (MB, Cavity, Hollow Body) I would go players cavity.

this would be fun.

As long as you could select what shaft and lie angle I would be fine.

Let's say you were selected for a THP Experience and every participant gets new clubs (like most of them :D). The problem is, you know the brand, but the clubs are not out yet and you must choose. You have an idea of what they have released in the past, but going in blind completely with looks, etc.

How would you choose knowing only a category that they fall into like muscle back, players cavity and/or hollow body?

Still pretty easy. Most company follow a similar pattern and I know based off the past they will have an offering right where I would like. I would love to say muscle back, but I would most likely pick the players cavity as I dont get to play as much as I would like..

easy. Go with what i know about the past and go in a direction that allows for more forgiveness than what i already have. Aka.....players cavities

I could do it, and would actually love to. I have my preferences on what I think a club should look like, but thanks to THP I have played clubs that aren't necessarily what I would choose. In every case I enjoyed and had pretty good success with them.

So being able to try something out and having the excitement of what would actually be played, well that sounds like a ton of fun.

Not too tough. I'd go with the player's distance/hollow body option. If we got to choose shafts, I'd go with the closest available to what I know works for me.

I think it would be easy for me to pick and right now I'd like to try the muscle backs.

Still pretty easy. Most company follow a similar pattern and I know based off the past they will have an offering right where I would like. I would love to say muscle back, but I would most likely pick the players cavity as I dont get to play as much as I would like..
Could be, but if I use a few examples it does make it more cloudy.

For instance Apex this year with addition of DCB.

Srixon this year with addition of ZX4

Mizuno MP this year with huge change in HMB.

Could be, but if I use a few examples it does make it more cloudy.

For instance Apex this year with addition of DCB.

Srixon this year with addition of ZX4

Mizuno MP this year with huge change in HMB.

While I think all of those option are awesome. There is only one that I would be personally interested in.

Game improvement iron for me please

stay in my lane... play something forgiving and not out of my league understanding where my game is at.

This is exactly where I would be as well. When I get out of my league I tend to get in WAY over my head and I inevitably will mess something up. It's science!

That would be about it. Basic category and then you would kind of decide based on history?

I'd choose a players cavity back with a stiff shaft. that's what I've had my last few sets and should be good....no matter what, it'll be new and shiny ;)

I could go based on history, and stay within reason. But, for new equipment that the company brings out that is new, bring it on!! I'm not against trying out something that may be too forgiving, nor something that might be too demanding. Never know how it's going to play until you give it a try!

This would actually be ideal for me. I think I tend to take looks into consideration too much.

Not knowing what is coming out, I would 100% choose the most game improvement category.

I think the only exception would be if the company had a history or an all hybrid set. In that case, I think I would chose a slightly more compact category.

I realize looks are a big deal, but I believe I could get used to anything looks wise, as long as it works for me.

I think with companies going to mixed sets it could make the choice easier if a mixed set was an option . I would choose a players cavity say 7- AW because where my game is know i could play them. In the 5 - 6 ( and possibly a 4) i would go with the more forgiving option like the DCB’s. I know i can play the standard 5-6 but having the option in those clubs where i am not as consistent as i am with the 7-AW makes the choice much easier. Not seeing them would not present a problem because i would care much more about performance than looks. I think it would be an easy choice knowing where my game is and what might be the best choice for me particularly when i assume the company sponsoring the event would want me in irons that fit my game and i could provide thoughtful and positive input as a player that fits the profile of the clubs i am hitting and reviewing. As beautiful as i fhink the Apex Pros are and as much as i wish i was in the target category for that club right now im not and anything i would have to say would not really be helpful to someone in that profile.

Easy choice......If I decide to participate it is because the event holds true to my desires of engagement. Clubs are part of the equation. My line up of clubs has been pretty stable for some time as to the types. So the choice of clubs is easy for me. I'd gladly choose blind. It's the shafts that are the most important for me. Those options don't change much year to year.

Let's say you were selected for a THP Experience and every participant gets new clubs (like most of them :D). The problem is, you know the brand, but the clubs are not out yet and you must choose. You have an idea of what they have released in the past, but going in blind completely with looks, etc.

How would you choose knowing only a category that they fall into like muscle back, players cavity and/or hollow body?

Easy. When in doubt stick to the profile you know.

Do not trust myself with muscle backs so that wouldn’t be a choice. I would be happy to try either of the other 2 options.

It would be a pretty easy choice for me, I'd go players cavity because it would be a move one rung up the ladder for me - and if worst came to worst and I bit off more than I could chew, I always have my current set to fall back on afterward. I'm kind of right on the border between the two categories and it would be fun to try them.

I would stay away from categories that said blade or game improvement. In between there are a large number of categories so I would pick something I didn't have and trust my gut. I would give honest feedback on what I was using and not be afraid to step outside of what I use.

Based on my prior knowledge of the company I would go either players distance irons or game improvement. With Callaway for example I would choose Players Distance because they tend to make that category really hot and I don't like the offset they usually have on their Game Improvement irons.

Not knowing makes it an easier choice... no waffling back and forth.

Players Cavity for me.

Not consistent enough to play the MB's and don't like the feel of Hollow Body.

I'd like to think easy, but it'd probably miles from it. Or maybe not knowing as much would make it easier..:unsure:? I would probably look at their most recent players cavity, and unless there was something really specific that I didn't like, choose that. So yeah, players cavity. I think the hardest part would be knowing there's probably a combo situation that would kill, but not being able to choose it! :LOL:

Back