Choosing lie angle when comparing irons from different companies.

mtbloco

Grandaddy X!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How would you determine your ideal lie angle for a new to you set of irons? If you know, based on dynamic swing tests that you are "Up 3 degrees" in one set of irons, then do you automatically start with that same up 3 in irons from another manufacturer? What if they progress in stock lie angle is different between the two companies? Would you bother with that 0.5 degree difference?

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 11.43.29 AM.png

If not getting fit, I carry over the lie angles that I was playing in my previous set. When I went from Mizuno to Hogan, I was 1 degree flat in Mizuno irons which equated to 2 degrees flat in Hogan irons. So I look at the actual stock lie angle and adjust from there as opposed to automatically going X degrees flat or upright.

If not getting fit, I carry over the lie angles that I was playing in my previous set. When I went from Mizuno to Hogan, I was 1 degree flat in Mizuno irons which equated to 2 degrees flat in Hogan irons. So I look at the actual stock lie angle and adjust from there as opposed to automatically going X degrees flat or upright.

In my example above this calculation is iron dependant. It then comes down to the philosophy of lie angle throughout the set for for each club maker and how one determines the new optimal. In the absence of fitting.

Last fitting said my 6-iron should be 61.5*, so until I am told otherwise at another fitting I'll use that as my starting point. My Mizunos standard lie is 61* for the 6-iron, so I didn't bother with changing the .5* difference.

In my example above this calculation is iron dependant. It then comes down to the philosophy of lie angle throughout the set for for each club maker and how one determines the new optimal. In the absence of fitting.

I see your point and I am sure there are reasons that are way over my head why OEMs set the stock lie angles they do for each iron set. I never have been through a comprehensive fitting in which each iron was testing for lie independently so the only thing I know to do is maintain their normally .5 degree spacing between irons. I'm sure some people could very well need a different lie angle variance to stock in a longer club such as a 5 iron than a shorter PW.

I think if you're thinking that hard into lie angles, you need to ditch the whole idea of '3 up'. It's doesn't translate across brands and models, and won't serve you as well. Knowing your actual lie angles by number will serve you better. Like, I don't care, and thus forget a lot, whether I'm 2 flat or 1 or 1.5 in a certain set, because all I care about it that the 4i is 59.5* at 38.5" and things go from there. That's the only number that matters.

And then I know how mine generally progress through the rest of the set. It gets you close, but not exact with most clubs. So if you have a set you love, figure out what the lie angles are, in reverse if you have to (what stock is vs. what they took them up or down for you) and stick with those numbers as a starting point.

Last edited:
I have played the last 2 sets both one flat with no issues.

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Got fit into 2* up but when I dug into the specifics I couldn’t figure out what to do when the stock lie angles aren’t the same.

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Got fit into 2* up but when I dug into the specifics I couldn’t figure out what to do when the stock lie angles aren’t the same.
My solution ask the club maker / person fitting you.

When I think of my lie angle, its the actual lie angle. I may describe as x flat, but it's x flat of standard for that club.

If I'm going to a new brand, I just get the irons bent to my preferred lie angle.

Back