Choosing putter to pick up ball

Jamie4127

Reaction score
Handicap
Call me crazy but one thing I look for when choosing a putter is to make sure I can pick the ball up with it? Anyone else the same way and what type of putter do you favor? I've always used mallet style putters, I wonder how the blades work...

This is a main key of a putter. If it can't pick up the ball I won't consider it, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty Cameron Newport & Newport 2 work well. Those are blades

Yes, ability to pick up the ball without bending over is one of my criteria as well.

It's a nice side perk, but this isn't in my mind when picking a putter out. That said, I can pick up the ball pretty easily with my Odyssey #2 blade.

Just get one of these .... problem solved.

ball_suction.jpg

When I got fit for my putter in 2012 it came down to the #7 and the 2 ball. I hit them both equally well; it was a dead heat. I picked the #7 for the ball picking up ability.

That was why I played blades....forever. Ball pickup and also helps to retrieve the flagstick.
The only real flaw with the Method Concept is that I can't use it for that. But I'll take more putts made and a touch more bending/squatting. 10 years ago, no way...but I made more putts then.

It's kinda counter intuitive, because the whole goal to putting is to put it in the cup, but I do the same thing haha. It won't deter me from buying one that can't, but it can sway a putter decision for me between two.

I've got an Odyssey Versa blade and an Odyssey mallet that pick up the ball OK. However, I still use one of those gadgets you screw onto the grip of the putter - it looks like a mini-basket with four prongs - add a little crazy glue and its on nice and tight.

I have a manservant that gets my ball for me. He also roughs up the people who owe me money. And makes a fabulous vegetarian frittata.

Odyssey sabertooth or fang would do better jobs of picking up the balls than the Newport blade style putter. I love the way it securely cradle the ball. Sadly both produce poor putting feel for my game, so I have to moved on to the one I'm currently using, the flip face #9. It's a horrible putter to pick up the ball with because of thicker flange and narrower opening gap but I like the ability to change the face insert for green speed, semi classic look and superior putting performance.

It's helpful but if a mallet wouldn't do that but I loved it I would still buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a nice little feature, but I pick and play a putter if it gets the ball in the hole the best and in the least amount of strokes.

I prefer to go with the one that makes the putts so I'm forced to pick the ball up out of the cup with my hand. :alien:

It's not part of my criteria, but I play a #7 and firmly believe it is the undisputed champion for picking up the ball.

Blade putters work very well when doing this. I only play blades and use it to pick up my ball.

Nope, it doesn't come into play for me, at all.

[video=youtube;-0BjhV-N--k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0BjhV-N--k[/video]

I have used this putter for years now. A few were amused at first but not anymore. I make a LOT of putts with this. JMO. You can only find these on Ebay occasionally.

Last edited:
I don't know that it's really all that important to me, but I do consider it. It is certainly a handy perk.

My current putter is a Cleveland TFI Satin Cero Putter. The Cero just happens to scoop up the ball exceptionally well, which is a nice added bonus from a terrific putter.

[video=youtube;-0BjhV-N--k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0BjhV-N--k[/video]

I have used this putter for years now. A few were amused at first but not anymore. I make a LOT of putts with this. JMO

I admit that I am oddly fascinated by this. Can't find much on the 'net. Are they still around?

I amended my comment. You can only find these on Ebay these days. There are a couple up now. I have two lol in case I break or lose one.

I am very much the same way. Most Anser style putters can be used to pick up the ball using the rear flange. Ping's B60 style works well also. I am now using the O-Works #7 Tank and picking up the ball is a breeze. These attachments that go on the butt end of the putter won;lt typically work if the putter is backweighted from what I have seen.

Back