Choosing Tees: Yardage or Slope?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Which do you use to pick a tee box? Which do you think is most useful?

more yardage, but I'm not a yardage snob. I don't scoff at designs that are short and I don't fret designs that are long.

Yardage all day. I don't pay any attention to slope.

Yardage. If it's over 6500 it's going to be a long day. Unless there's a lot of forced carries, slope doesn't affect me as much as yardage.

Edit: I did play from the blues (7073) at Disney's Magnolia the other weekend and it was LONG but wasn't impossible for me, just a lot of laying up and playing for pars.

Yardage for me. Slope rating isn't ever a consideration.

I usually go by yardage. If it's a new course for me I will usually try the tees just forward of the tips.

Yardage more important than slope to me when choosing tees.

100% yardage.

I have a highly technical algorithm that I use: whatever tees my buddies want to play.

If I ever do check the card I'm only looking at yardage. Slope just tells me how many water hazards are out there.

My main consideration is whatever the rest of my group is playing. I’m not gonna be the guy that plays different tees than everybody else.

Yardage, in the form of course rating, since rating directly correlates with yardage. I like to play the tees with the rating that is closest to the par on the card. Whatever the slope ends up being is what it is.

Yardage (considering par) first, then rating, then slope.

Last edited:
Yardage. I honestly never have paid much attention to slope.

Yardage. I am perfectly capable of blowing up on a short vs long set of tees.

Last edited:
Yardage.

Yardage, the other stuff is too technical for me. My goal is to hit the ball then go after it and repeat.

Yardage for me; I usually play one-up unless it's a short course, then I'll play the tips.

Distance. I don’t understand slope. Haha

I like yardages less than 6500. I play from those tees.

I'm not a slope guy.

However, if I'm with others who want to play from the tips, thats fine too. Maybe 2-4 strokes longer for me.

Yardage. I don't worry about slope. Just know that anything over 6200 or with a couple long carries is going to frustrate me more. I don't mind a lot of slope as long as I can hit all of my clubs.

Yardage. Length is tough for me. I play the closest non red tees whenever possible. If I’m with much better golfers and they are playing the tees further back, they are generally happy to see me tee off at the closer tees. A better day for everyone.

Back