Choosing Tees: Yardage or Slope?

Distance. I don’t understand slope. Haha
I can help you with that 😁

slope
/slōp/

noun

a surface of which one end or side is at a higher level than another; a rising or falling surface.
"he slithered helplessly down the slope"
  • a difference in level or sideways position between the two ends or sides of a thing.
    "the roof should have a slope sufficient for proper drainage"
  • a part of the side of a hill or mountain, especially as a place for skiing.
    "a ten-minute cable-car ride delivers you to the slopes"

verb

(of a surface or line) be inclined from a horizontal or vertical line; slant up or down.
"the garden sloped down to a stream"

Yardage for me...remind me what is slope. ;)

I'd have to agree with most everyone else and say yardage. I want to play all of the clubs in the bag and it's harder to do that if it's always driver and long iron on par 4s. My home course is about 6,450 and it's a lot of fun. When I play other courses, I'm usually looking for tees in that range. Of course, I'll play whatever tees my group is playing when I'm not by myself.

My regular course has 4 sets of tees. If we eliminate the forward yellow set which are much shorter, the other three are about 5700-6100-6500. As the pro describes it, the whites are for the general public, the greens are for golfers, and the blacks are for good golfers. I play the greens as a relatively high handicap. So I guess my decision is yardage based. Moving up would mean driver-wedge all day, and moving back is all long iron second shots.

Slope seems pretty stable at the courses I play at; within 2-4 between the whites and the blues at my home course. I pay attention to yardage more.

I play the white tees.

I should probably play the gold tees or whatever color the senior tees are. I'm only 50 but my driver distance is 200 at best so the tee it forward program says I should play those.:rolleyes::confused2::D

I play the white tees.:confused2:

Yardage always. The only thing the slope is telling you is how bad the course is gonna kick your A@# :LOL:

Yardage. 6000-6500 yards. On one of the shorter par 62 courses here we'll tip it out at 4253.

Yardage. Prefer to top out around 65-6600, but will play longer sometimes. If I know about forced carries, any unreasonably long ones are taken into consideration as well.

Which do you use to pick a tee box? Which do you think is most useful?
Yardage probably as the slope on my local course is brutal anyway so I am used to a fairly tough slope. For example our blues are 140 whites are 138 and gold 132 so not a cake walk for the average joe hack golfer. Some guys have commented that they cannot find a level lie on the entire course. :cool:

Yardage, mostly. I'll look at par (6300 can play a little longer on a par-70 setup), rating, and how long the longest par-4s are, as well. If there are too many par-4s over 430, I'm moving up a box.

Rating.

Then yardage.

I'm actually kind of surprised it's so onesided. I'll typically not look at yardage at all. I'll plan to play the 2nd longest tees unless the slope is 135ish or more then look and see about moving up another set.

I never pay attention to the slope i use the yardage.

It's rare that I ever even look at slope/rating, let alone choose tees based on it. For me it has been 100% based on yardage.

Yardage. I like the difficulty in slope overall.

I use the yardage. I might glance at the slope before playing the course for the first time but when I look at the course maps I generally can see if the course will kick my behind.

Generally like to use all my clubs. It's nice once in a while to have a course go driver-wedge or the challenge of driver-wood/long iron but for the most part I want to have some variance. Often both the wife and I play from the middle together.

yardage, don't even know how to think about slope.

since many courses have gone to numbers or new colors, yardage is the only reference. I get so frustrated when a member of my group is trying to play a par 4 tee that they could not reach if they went driver then driver. when I ask, they say well I'm playing x color. meaningless

I first look at yardage and then I look at the individual holes. If there is a drastic difference in the tee boxes and how they change the way a hole is played, I will sometimes jump to the one that makes for a more interesting hole (pace of play dependent).

Slope for me. Sub 6500 from the tips would make me think it’s gonna be a fun day. The slope and index is 71.5/144. Not a monstrosity from the back tees, but absolutely brutal hard.

6250 is 70.3/137.

Back