Choosing your "Home" course

checkered

Team Paradise - 2023 Morgan Cup Champions!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
too high
What matters most to you when choosing which course to be your "home" course? Doesn't have to be a course you are a membership at, just the one you consider home for your golf game. Do you just go with the closest to your home or work, or are there specific features of the course or amenities you look for? I'm without a course I consider home at the moment and thinking about how I should choose one. Curious how others have made this decision.

For me, I'm a member of my home course. It's were my men's group plays. It's close to the house , has great greens and I'm treated like a family member. It's always been the course I've been a member at.

Ours happens to be the closest. It also happens to be the one my wife is GM of. Just worked out that way. She was looking for a new job 6 years ago and this was the only one that replied to her email.

Has to be a beautiful course that I won't get bored playing and challenging enough that it keeps things interesting.

This is a very timely thread for me, as I'm starting to look at another private course to join after leaving my old one last year.

First and foremost, the course has to be an engaging design that I find fun, challenging and relaxing all at the same time. Also, it's important there's a decent 19th hole. I like the option of hanging out after the round and if I do, a nice relaxing vibe with both an indoor and outdoor area is ideal.

Also important is the service. I just want friendly and approachable. And less important but relevant, the regulars if public, membership if private, are laid back, love golf and have a sense of humor. I'm all for taking golf seriously but to a point.

Value also factors in. You don't want a home course where you're over stretching just to play.

Distance wise, ideally closer would be great, but I'm ok with a bit of a drive if necessary.

At this point, I'm looking for a course with all of the above, but with a long term lens. I'm looking some where my kids can learn the game, enjoy and maybe even get my wife in the mix. So I'm looking at the practice areas and the learning facilities more than I normally would.

Finally, it has to be some where I can take clients (if private). That means it's a solid dining option and a course that's notable (so they'll want to come back).

Since moving I have been looking for a home course and believe I have found one for next year. I have been looking for a course that is relatively close to both work and home, has a great practice facility and also somewhere I can see myself being there long term.

Conditions, price and drive distance.

Practice facility is a huge factor for me in selecting a home course.

My home course is about 2 miles from home. It is so convenient that it was the only choice for me. There are better courses around, but they are too far to drive to on a daily basis. When healthy, I join my regular foursome and play there 3-4 times monday thru friday. We tee off early and are back home before 11:00 am.

I grew up playing on my home course. My high school team played there. I was fortunate enough that my Dad had a membership there and it was passed on to me. It is a challenging course and a lot of fun to play and it's only 15 miles from my home.

Mine is a club where I'm a member. It was a no-brainer for my area based on what I get for the monthly dues. 72 holes plus access to 9 other clubs for free in the area, no cart fees, superb conditions, discounted food rates, pool, gym, etc.

My home course is a 2 minute drive away. Great head pro who taught my son, nicely priced, condition was OK, and while it was short there were a LOT of elevation changes which made it a lot more challenging than it looked.

Unfortunately it's been closed since Dec 31, thankfully it's about to be purchased by the owners of a semi-private about half an hour away and they plan to have it open by October for some fall golf. Definitely looking forward to being able to squeeze in a quick 9 after work or on the weekends in between errands and the kids' activities.

Appreciate the input so far. Part of my struggle is that the closest course has no practice facilities, but is in pretty good shape and pretty cheap. Then there's a course about 20 minutes further that has practice facilities but not a great course from what I've been able to tell. Any of the nicer places are a bit further away, unless I pony up for a membership at a nearby country club. Makes for an interesting decision.

For me it has to be within 20 minutes of my house and have great practice facilities. It also has to have a layout that I love and won't ever tire of.

Needless to say I'm currently without home course, but my previous home course at Northview checked all the boxes for me.

I'm kind of in the same boat John, after moving to a new location and all. For me there are a few things:

-Reasonably close to home (preferably <10 mins away, but up to 20 or so is OK for good facilities)
-Reasonably priced - I can't afford to play a high end course all the time
---Discount cards or well priced memberships are a bonus
-Not overly difficult, but with enough challenge to test my game on a regular basis
-Smooth rolling, reasonably consistent greens
-Good practice facilities - smooth practice greens, a decent range, and a practice bunker at minimum

Right now I've got 3 courses within 30 minutes or so, 1 that's < 10 mins and quite scenic, but not very difficult and doesn't have practice bunkers. 1 that's 15 and has a fantastic Donald Ross course and great facilities, but it's private and I'm not sure I want to sign up for that. And 1 that is public with 36 holes and great facilities, but it's a 35 minute drive, which is a little much. So I'm in debate mode. First order of business is to play all 3 and get a feel and go from there.

For me its the things i look for Location, layout and condition, price/value.

For me, I chose one that was 15 minutes further away than two other courses because of the environment. They appreciate that I spend my disposable income there and the membership is welcoming and inclusive. It also helps that they have a learning center and a more diverse practice facility. All that being said, one of the course closer to my house is kept up better and a more challenging layout. The problem with that course was they acted like they were doing you a favor by letting you play there, it happens to be the city course also, so I don't get it.

My home course is whichever one I can find the best deal on that's within a reasonable drive of me.

Close, affordable, somewhat challenging and nicely kept.

All very important, and thankfully my needs are met.

What matters most to you when choosing which course to be your "home" course? Doesn't have to be a course you are a membership at, just the one you consider home for your golf game. Do you just go with the closest to your home or work, or are there specific features of the course or amenities you look for? I'm without a course I consider home at the moment and thinking about how I should choose one. Curious how others have made this decision.

I have 3 within a 10 minute drive from me, all munis, and I'd play any of them. as I actually find them all to be decent tracks

Proximity to home and other features (practice facilities, etc)

Back