Choosing Your Wedge Grind?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last handful of years, more and more grind options have become available. How did you go about choosing your wedges?

I used Titleist online fitting to help me to decide on my grinds. Working nicely so far

I used to think about what I like or what fits my normal swing. Now I go for forgiving and take a high bounce and a big sole. That allows me to just pop that wedge into the ground and pop that ball into the air.

I am in the market for new wedges (aka once the shouting stops from the new driver I just bought). I did a Callaway distance fitting and discussed how I use my wedges and ultimately decided on a versatile grind for full swings and around the green. It was the same guidance I got from their online wedge fitting as well.

I went through a fitting for the vokey experience earlier this year. For Cleveland wedges, I'm usually just a mid grind player, although I did do a quick fitting with them years ago.

I think I have gotten pretty lucky with mine since I've never really done a grind fitting or anything. I think wedges are easy enough to tinker with and change out as I tend to buy previous season's wedges when they go on sale.

55* has the v-sole which I am a big believer in and love it from all around the course
60* has low bounce and I absolutely love it out of the sand and around the greens

research the options they have and what they are.
while i want a wide sole iron, i do not want a wide sole wedge.

More options is great except when the knowledge behind gets overwhelming.

Building out my MD5 group I went 52/8, 56/12 & 60/12.

Not hit in anger yet but a chipping session the other weekend was positive, especially of tight green side lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got fitted and I am happy with the results. The MD5 Jaws have been fantastic.

I did a fitting on a Titleist Thursday and had been using those recommendations for bounce/grind until recently. For me, absent a fitting, the safe bet would be wedges with higher bounce and/or a wide sole.

I went through a fitting for the vokey experience earlier this year. For Cleveland wedges, I'm usually just a mid grind player, although I did do a quick fitting with them years ago.
Same here and I just have to trust the Titleist fitter for the grind and bounce. I still have my old 54* and will try to hit it and the new one after our club championship to see if I can tell much of a difference in the two.

I guess, :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Luckily the MIM's at the time only came in Versatile Grind

Same here and I just have to trust the Titleist fitter for the grind and bounce. I still have my old 54* and will try to hit it and the new one after our club championship to see if I can tell much of a difference in the two.

I'm excited for mine to show up so I can do a little side by side with the zipcore

I won them from Ben Hogan! Thanks to THP and Ben Hogan Golf!

I talked to Roger Cleveland and my fitter at the Grandaddy. Discussed my play and what I need around the green. Had some dalliances with other setups, but have come back to it twice after straying. 54S for tight lies and fuller swings. 60X for greenside traps and fluffy lies. Just plugged the JAWS MD5s in to replace my GD MD4s, and the transition was pretty seamless.

Trial and error.

Basically finding myself usually gravitate to certain wedges and thats how I know what grinds I like.

What I've found:
Sand Wedge needs higher bounce with trail edge relief. Heel relief is optional.
Lob wedge I like a wide sole with low bounce. I have also been successful with a mid bounce wedge with heel and trailedge relief, but prefer the wide sole low bounce option.

Gap wedge is a full sole.

I was fit into my previous Vokeys. Didn’t really work out though. Now, if I see the word grind, I keep looking. I purposely went with my Ping wedges and it’s a pretty simple system they have going. I chose the eye 2 sole because it sounded exactly what I was after, and buying from golf mart, I had 90 days to return it. However, I chose wisely and it stayed in the bag.

I read descriptions, then get my hands on them if I can, make as much of an educated purchase as possible, and then put them to work and see how they do. I think I go through more wedges than any other piece of gear. I can't say I've ever bought a bad one, or one that was a terrible fit for me and my use of it, but there are a wide range of good within them.

Really I just try different shots with them, and see how hard or easy they are to do well with each, evaluate, and change to try to find a better fit if it seems possible.

Last edited:
Online recommendation and from Callaway fitting.

Cross my fingers lol... have never put thought into grind before. Though to be fair I haven't bought a new wedge in 4+ years.

I know it’s too late to fix it now, but with all the grind options and different lettering from each company it’s really crazy. Loft and bounce angles make sense, but grind? No logic in the designations at all.

Back