Chostochondritis, anyone ever deal with this?

mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I have been lifting weights regularly for the first time in a long time and I have seen some series benefits including helping alleviate some shoulder pain, but last night after a good workout I had some chest pain right by the sternum on my right pec. Nothing to make me worried about a heart issue, and didn't hurt doing most things, except twisting my torso (something you need to do in the golf swing) and after some googling looks like it is fairly common...

Anybody else ever experience this and have any tips on dealing with it?

I see this a bunch in kids that I treat that come in complaining about chest pain. The treatment is pretty simple, rest and anti-inflammatories until the pain goes away. Of course, the resting part is difficult when talking about trying to make a golf swing that could aggravate the pain.

I've suffered from it and it kept me out of golf for 12 weeks. I really thought I was having heart issues or broke a rib. It was painful to breathe at times and forget about swinging a club. Unfortunately, like a broken rib all that I could do for it was take anti-inflammatories and rest it.

I see this a bunch in kids that I treat that come in complaining about chest pain. The treatment is pretty simple, rest and anti-inflammatories until the pain goes away. Of course, the resting part is difficult when talking about trying to make a golf swing that could aggravate the pain.
I've suffered from it and it kept me out of golf for 12 weeks. I really thought I was having heart issues or broke a rib. It was painful to breathe at times and forget about swinging a club. Unfortunately, like a broken rib all that I could do for it was take anti-inflammatories and rest it.

Thanks guys, mine is pretty mild. I did bench press yesterday and didn't hurt at all, pain comes when I twist to the right or lift my right arm above my head. Even then it isn't anything crazy. Going to postpone my lesson I had scheduled for today and do some icing tonight.... I was hoping to golf this weekend when I head home for the holidays but this isn't the worst time of year to take a break... but man I want to keep hitting the gym!

Thanks guys, mine is pretty mild. I did bench press yesterday and didn't hurt at all, pain comes when I twist to the right or lift my right arm above my head. Even then it isn't anything crazy. Going to postpone my lesson I had scheduled for today and do some icing tonight.... I was hoping to golf this weekend when I head home for the holidays but this isn't the worst time of year to take a break... but man I want to keep hitting the gym!
Mine started that way and then I was swinging a driver and it then got really inflamed on the 2nd hole. I couldn’t even swing the club by the 3rd hole.
Rest up and ice.

So I have been lifting weights regularly for the first time in a long time and I have seen some series benefits including helping alleviate some shoulder pain, but last night after a good workout I had some chest pain right by the sternum on my right pec. Nothing to make me worried about a heart issue, and didn't hurt doing most things, except twisting my torso (something you need to do in the golf swing) and after some googling looks like it is fairly common...

I felt this once and quit working out, not worth the hassle.

Seriously i was told rest and anti-inlfammatory, not much more than that. mine was a mild case so it was about 3 weeks or so of not swinging a club

I felt this once and quit working out, not worth the hassle.

Seriously i was told rest and anti-inlfammatory, not much more than that. mine was a mild case so it was about 3 weeks or so of not swinging a club

I am going to keep at the gym once the chest pain improves, in october I could barely lift my left arm above my shoulder and since getting back in the gym I have very minor twinges every now and then. Getting old sucks, the pain seems to be migrating around my body....

I am going to keep at the gym once the chest pain improves, in october I could barely lift my left arm above my shoulder and since getting back in the gym I have very minor twinges every now and then. Getting old sucks, the pain seems to be migrating around my body....

One thing it forced me to do is properly stretch before working out. In a lot of cases stretching and push ups before helped me more than i thought.

Is this a self-diagnosis or have you seen a doctor? When you do chest workouts do you 'bounce' the bar or dumbbells off your chest at all? In a former life as a high school and orthopedic clinic Athletic Trainer I would see this type of injury from all different sports, baseball, soccer, basketball, wrestling etc. and the majority were done in the weight room. Hope you heal up quickly!

Is this a self-diagnosis or have you seen a doctor? When you do chest workouts do you 'bounce' the bar or dumbbells off your chest at all? In a former life as a high school and orthopedic clinic Athletic Trainer I would see this type of injury from all different sports, baseball, soccer, basketball, wrestling etc. and the majority were done in the weight room. Hope you heal up quickly!

100% self diagnosis. I usually do not bounce bar or dumb bells off the chest, but I did yesterday trying a new variation of bench press.

I had occasional bouts back when I worked in an industrial environment, as typical with most sufferers mine would eventually get better.
About ten years ago I started having flair up s on a whole new level, like wubears It is often so painful I have difficulty breathing, coughing or clearing my throat would hurt so bad my head would spin.
Lately it seems to flair up every month or so. The original pain was from over exertion, now it appears to be unrelated to physical activity, something in my brain turns it on and nothing but time settles it down.
Good luck,

I had this when going after it a little too hard on chest day a few years ago. As others have said. Rest is probably the best thing for it. It would flare up out of the blue for about 6 months. But, I haven't had any issues with it for a couple years now.

100% self diagnosis. I usually do not bounce bar or dumb bells off the chest, but I did yesterday trying a new variation of bench press.
A little rest and recovery should do the trick! Well, that, and not bouncing 200# off your chest :p

A little rest and recovery should do the trick! Well, that, and not bouncing 200# off your chest :p

You give me too much credit. Have not sniffed 2 plates on the bench since returning to regular work. Getting closer, but have been going slowly to hopefully avoid injury... obviously failed that.

Yes, I suffer from it. No on the tips.

I had occasional bouts back when I worked in an industrial environment, as typical with most sufferers mine would eventually get better.
About ten years ago I started having flair up s on a whole new level, like wubears It is often so painful I have difficulty breathing, coughing or clearing my throat would hurt so bad my head would spin.
Lately it seems to flair up every month or so. The original pain was from over exertion, now it appears to be unrelated to physical activity, something in my brain turns it on and nothing but time settles it down.
Good luck,

This sounds like me. It's so bad/constant that I'm wondering if a GABA analogue/nerve pain med (eg, Lyrica, Gabapentin) might help.

I've also had strained intercostal muscles on numerous occasions and two subluxated ribs that cause pain that felt like I was either being stabbed or having a heart attack.

I am dealing with this at the moment. I had been going to the range about 4 times a week and playing 1-2 times per week. Also a lot of kettle ball training. I have had it before but this one has been quite a flare up. I have been out of action For two weeks and it is a ton better but I am giving myself a little more time before I play again. It was the worst at night when I was laying down, felt like a Stab. I did hit a few wedge shots into the woods and it wasnt too painful.

I see this is an old thread but I think I have a similar issue going now...just hit me yesterday, midday, and not sure what I did, exactly. Been hitting the range a lot lately...but not sure that was it. Maybe. It subsided and I went to the range last night as I had plans to meet up with a friend there...was able to hit with no issues. Late last night it flared up again as I fell asleep in an awkward position on the couch. Felt much better this morning, though. I can still feel a little tightness at times this morning, but largely feeling better. Definitely not doing anything today....see how it feels tomorrow. Supposed to play Saturday afternoon but we'll see, I guess.

I've had this and xiphoiditis, rest and ibuprofen. Took about 2 months to heal enough where I could golf or exercise without pain. Just be patient and listen to your body.

I've had this and xiphoiditis, rest and ibuprofen. Took about 2 months to heal enough where I could golf or exercise without pain. Just be patient and listen to your body.
I hit balls with no issues last night but will be interested to see how it holds up. When you say golf without pain....sounds like you were still able to golf during that stretch, just with some side effects?

I went and picked up some CBD roll-on pain relief...has the feel of a menthol type of thing...almost a biofreeze type of feel to it. Seems to help a bit. I am coming off a shoulder injury from last fall that really derailed me...one thing heals, then something else get hurt...getting old sucks.

I hit balls with no issues last night but will be interested to see how it holds up. When you say golf without pain....sounds like you were still able to golf during that stretch, just with some side effects?

I went and picked up some CBD roll-on pain relief...has the feel of a menthol type of thing...almost a biofreeze type of feel to it. Seems to help a bit. I am coming off a shoulder injury from last fall that really derailed me...one thing heals, then something else get hurt...getting old sucks.

Exactly. I golfed and did some other light things and had a couple of mild setbacks that caused pain when breathing, especially noticeable at night. Nothing terrible, but one of those nagging injuries that is frustrating as it seemed to return everytime I thought I had recovered.

I just had to learn to accept the journey and expect setbacks if I wanted to do things like golf.

Mine went away after a couple weeks. I took about a week off of all activities, then started lifting again but was very mindful on certain lifts not to do what caused the issue, and stopped going to the range until I had a couple weeks pain free.

I was lucky it was pretty mild and was able to get over it early this year.

Back