Christie Kerr - "World, I am Good!"

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a direct quote from Christie Kerr this week during her press conference.

I know how good I am. A lot of people say, well, she really doesn’t know how good she is. I do know how good I am. Sometimes I get in my own way.

It sure would be nice to see Kerr not tear herself down so much. I think she would be so much better of a player if she simply recognized she has some talent. Humbleness is a virtue but it can be taken to an extreme at times when you refuse to recognize you can do something relatively well. Christie please stop being so humble. :D

Golf is a game of confidence. Maybe she is trying to get a "mental edge" on the field this week.

I wonder what would happen if she ever spoke her mind? :confused2:

I know I am good as well. My problem is I am only good about once in every 10 shots.:egyptian:

I know how good I am. A lot of people say, well, she really doesn’t know how good she is. I do know how good I am. Sometimes I get in my own way.

Actually, that comment sounds more self-effacing than bold.

Anyone who's any good at this game has said the very same thing to themselves or to others at some point along the way and I know exactly what she means.

-JP

Agreed. You have me by 2 shots.....:D
I know I am good as well. My problem is I am only good about once in every 10 shots.:egyptian:

I have no issues with what she said, after all she is good. I like it when athletes who are good, aren't afraid to say so.

Is she naive enough to not understand how this comes across, or does she just not care? I think it's the latter, which makes it impossible for me to like her. It's ok to know you're good; it's another thing to say it like this in a press conference. Ugh.

I remember when Tiger came up and made that comment about not having his A game, that it was more like a B+, right after he won a tournament by several strokes. In his case, it was a case of immaturity (what was he, 19 or 20?). I took a disliking to him after that and it took a while for me to warm up to him. He doesn't make stupid comments like that anymore, even though he may think it.

Kerr doesn't have immaturity as an excuse.

Just proves that no matter how good you are, and how much cash you may win, you can't buy class.

I'm fine with confidence. You can think what you want, and believe it. But you don't say it.

JB - I think this needs to be put in context. I read that this was her response when asked whether she expected the success she's had in 2009. I don't follow the LPGA as closely as some people here do, but if that was the case - I see nothing wrong with her response. Was she a bit arrogant - yes, but isn't she always. I think quite possibly some of you are passing judgement without knowing the facts, but then again - many of you just don't like her so knowing them might not matter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just proves that no matter how good you are, and how much cash you may win, you can't buy class.

I'm fine with confidence. You can think what you want, and believe it. But you don't say it.

How exactly is what she said, "classless"?

She simply acknowledged that despite her talent, she sometimes gets in her own way. That's sounds more self deprecating than classless and it actually demonstrates humility more than anything else.

That's how I saw it anyway and I'm not a big time fan of hers or anything, so it's not as if I'm defending her because of a bias toward her. I just don't see anything wrong with what she said is all.

-JP

How exactly is what she said, "classless"?

She simply acknowledged that despite her talent, she sometimes gets in her own way. That's sounds more self deprecating than classless and it actually demonstrates humility more than anything else.

That's how I saw it anyway and I'm not a big time fan of hers or anything, so it's not as if I'm defending her because of a bias toward her. I just don't see anything wrong with what she said is all.

-JP

Fair enough, I can see some folks don't see anything wrong with what she said. I just think a classy lady is one who is modest, though I'm a bit old fashioned in many respects.

Also remember, there is a difference in saying something wrong, and not saying something right. (I hope that makes sense.)

Julie I agree 100%. If this was anybody else, in most cases it is looked past. But this is Kerr and she does it week in and week out.

Diane,
They asked her how her play was in 2009 and she went on. This is an every week thing with Kerr. Claire's girl had the best quote on Kerr ever. "She used to be a fat B**** now she is a skinny B****.

Julie I agree 100%. If this was anybody else, in most cases it is looked past. But this is Kerr and she does it week in and week out.

Diane,
They asked her how her play was in 2009 and she went on. This is an every week thing with Kerr. Claire's girl had the best quote on Kerr ever. "She used to be a fat B**** now she is a skinny B****.

I'm not arguing that she's arrogant - we know she is. She's also not that likeable, but I don't think you or Julie can say Kerr has no class for that remark. If truth be told - Helen's remark wasn't exactly what I'd call classy.

It was not Diane, that is very true. But this is a woman that steals the spotlight and self promotes at every chance she gets (my opinion). Every other LPGA player seems to want to help and work "with" people and then there is Kerr.

Every person CANNOT be wrong in speaking about her.

I think Kerr's really insecure. I would bet that she still sees herself as the fat girl and she's never gotten past that.

I think Kerr's really insecure. I would bet that she still sees herself as the fat girl and she's never gotten past that.

I knew her (Christie) and I would agree on something.

Also remember, there is a difference in saying something wrong, and not saying something right. (I hope that makes sense.)

I definitely agree with that! (And yes, that makes perfect sense).

It's just that when it comes to celebrities, people tend to hang on their every word and depending upon one's opinion of a given celebrity, what they say is often interpreted in a variety of ways - some good and some not so good.

See, I don't think of Kerr as anything other than a golfer, so maybe I see her more objectively than someone who knows her better and knows more about her personality or the way she's perceived by other players.

All I know is that if I had a dime for every time I've said something and then a half-second later realized that whatever I said wasn't really what I meant to say - I could retire. (Which is why I tend to cut people a lot of slack with such things).

-JP

I like watching her play, I know that. She is very intense. When she screams at her golf ball, it seems real to me, where when say Christina Kim yells at hers, it seems forced and for the camera. Kerr seems like she might not be a very nice person, but I really enjoy watching her compete. Creamer, Pressel, and a few of the other young American girls could do with ramping up their intensity a bit it seems to me. I prefer when the ladies on tour look angry than when they look like someone took their puppy.

A little anger might improve ratings, too.

Kevin

I like watching her play, I know that. She is very intense. When she screams at her golf ball, it seems real to me, where when say Christina Kim yells at hers, it seems forced and for the camera. Kerr seems like she might not be a very nice person, but I really enjoy watching her compete. Creamer, Pressel, and a few of the other young American girls could do with ramping up their intensity a bit it seems to me. I prefer when the ladies on tour look angry than when they look like someone took their puppy.

A little anger might improve ratings, too.

Kevin

Pressel does that as well. She is always yelling at her ball.

Pressel does that as well. She is always yelling at her ball.

You're right. Maybe I'm thinking of a couple of others like Lang or Lincicome. They're on TV so little, that it's hard to know the players. But it's more than yelling at the ball. It's the look in her eyes. She means business. I'm sure they all do, but it's written all over Kerr's face.

Kevin

Christie Kerr is awesome. Great player, beautiful eyes, lots of money and she plays golf what more could you ask for?

Christie Kerr is awesome. Great player, beautiful eyes, lots of money and she plays golf what more could you ask for?

A better attitude.:banghead:

Back