MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
I usually put up my own Christmas lights on my house. I buy the commercial lights from some website that look pretty good. This year I want to try and put them on the ridges of my house but not sure how to go about it. Do I buy stringers and splice the lights together to have them going different directions on the house? Picture below.

Last edited:
IMG_1084.jpeg

How do I get it to look more like this house? Should I just hire for install?

I'm hiring out 10 out of 10 times for that...
HAHA My house is not nearly that large. I have no problem placing around the perimeter areas of the house. I just like the look of it on the ridge caps and dormers.

There are tabs available that slide under the shingles for the ridgeline. Definitely, use a safety harness.

My wife would kill me if I happened to survive that adventure.

1fff66f86ca7ba36e28cb45742a82cee.jpg
d14a77654b408358800e6c32ac06685b.jpg
62bcc94f37522847a7997a08ff774a3f.jpg
2ae1d5c26d2d10bdf2809fd351765170.jpg

Cut to length Christmas light stringers is how it’s done.

Here are the male plugs you use.

here are the female plugs. Notice that one is inline and the other is an end plug

If you need a socket in the middle of two pre-spaced like on the peak you can add one of those.

Use this and cut it to length from the outlet to the light stringer.

I use them on my roofline.

I actually buy it locally from a commercial supplier so costs are about 1/2 these prices but this is how it’s done and fits perfectly.

When I was younger I used to do them on my 2nd story dormers and ridgelines of my roof when my house was smaller. I used plastic shingle clips to attach them to the roof. The extension cords were the biggest hassle especially with LED's not being around yet- you couldn't string more than 3 or 4 30 foot strings together on the same circuit. I now hire it out as I'm no longer taking the chance of slipping off a snowy/icy roof and the $325 to put them up and take them down seems like a bargain especially with January average highs of 24 degrees. We do the dormers but not the ridgelines.

IMG_4635.jpegIMG_4634.jpegThe lights are all up. Next year, I am going to replace the C9 lights on the roof that match the brightness of all the lights on the rest of the house. I also need to fix some of the lights in the garland.

Absolutely hire that out haha. Roofs are no joke

Awesome,awesome and awesome job guys (y)(y)

i want this ..............i cant believe this video is 14 yrs old

how i fit it all in when the frontage width of my house is only 15 ft i don`t know:D

Back