Chrome Soft ••

rtparty

Reaction score
Handicap
High
Anybody have the scoop on these new balls from Callaway? Maybe an embargo date, release date or even some reviews?

? Looking at the Gauntlet peeps...

DawgDaddy

Old Coot
Reaction score
Handicap
L.O.F.T.
???? Nope

PhillyV

#TeamTHP G18'
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
Anybody have the scoop on these new balls from Callaway? Maybe an embargo date, release date or even some reviews?

Looking at the Gauntlet peeps...
The ZooCrew were gaming the same chrome soft you buy at the store. This is news to me

#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap

Looking at the Gauntlet peeps...
You hear a rumor somewhere you're looking to confirm?

I haven't heard/seen anything either.

MWard

My Name Is Fritters
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
If history repeats itself, I would think the Grandaddy boys will know more about this ball come December

tpluff

I <3 GAWLF
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter

 Looking at the Gauntlet peeps...
Did you just pull this from the USGA conforming list? There's tons of different variations including the chrome speed....

rtparty

Reaction score
Handicap
High
You hear a rumor somewhere you're looking to confirm?

I haven't heard/seen anything either.
Not a rumor. Saw them in person today.

Just looking for an embargo date to get more details. I love love love the Chrome Soft so I'm super excited to see what they've done with these

rtparty

Reaction score
Handicap
High
If history repeats itself, I would think the Grandaddy boys will know more about this ball come December
We had the Chrome Soft in hand and in play at the Gauntlet last year

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
so a firmer chrome soft would go longer? at the expense of what, stopping power greenside? if so, I'll stick with current chrome soft. best ball I've played in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
I've seen the chrome Soft • but not ••. I'll be interested to read about these

AG47

Reaction score
Handicap
PRO
Probably along the same lines as the original Chromes. Started as the Chrome with the Chrome+ as the Proto on Tour then the Chrome + hit the market and then the Chrome++ was the Proto ball on Tour.

MWard

My Name Is Fritters
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We had the Chrome Soft in hand and in play at the Gauntlet last year
Right, but so did the Grandaddy guys. Since we didn't have that at the Gauntlet this year, they would be the first ones to play it

jlukes

Reaction score
so a firmer chrome soft would go longer? at the expense of what, stopping power greenside? if so, I'll stick with current chrome soft. best ball I've played in a long time.

Negative. Urethane balls with firmer cores actually have more spin on partial shots than balls with the same cover and softer cores. For example, the prov1x and zstar xv will spin more on partial shots than the standard zstar and prov1. The Zstar and prov1 will feel softer, but that doesn't mean they will spin as much on partial shots. They will spin more on full shots though

PhillyV

#TeamTHP G18'
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
Negative. Urethane balls with firmer cores actually have more spin on partial shots than balls with the same cover and softer cores. For example, the prov1x and zstar xv will spin more on partial shots than the standard zstar and prov1. The Zstar and prov1 will feel softer, but that doesn't mean they will spin as much on partial shots. They will spin more on full shots though
What he said^^^

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What he said^^^
Very true, however one thing to keep in mind is the difference in spin is minor in most cases, where as the difference in full contact where compression is necessary some believe is rather large.

PhillyV

#TeamTHP G18'
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
Very true, however one thing to keep in mind is the difference in spin is minor in most cases, where as the difference in full contact where compression is necessary some believe is rather large.
Correct. Shot type plays a role too when you are talking about half shots or pitches. So for me specifically, what Joe said applies. I understand that may not be the case for everyone

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
my question was more from the assumption that the ball phil put in play at the presidents cup and violated the one ball rule was the prototype firmer ball. per Phil, he used it on that hole because it was a firmer ball and he would be able to go for it in two. so I'm not sure how what you're saying (which is accurate) and what Phil said jibe?

rtparty

Reaction score
Handicap
High
So, are there any official dates for these? How about an embargo date?

The guy I played with said he didn't see much difference between it and the regular Chrome Soft.

If it's like the ProV1x compared to the ProV1, I'm not sure most people would be able to see a big enough difference. It would be a nice addition to Callaway's lineup though to compete against Titleist.

jlukes

Reaction score
my question was more from the assumption that the ball phil put in play at the presidents cup and violated the one ball rule was the prototype firmer ball. per Phil, he used it on that hole because it was a firmer ball and he would be able to go for it in two. so I'm not sure how what you're saying (which is accurate) and what Phil said jibe?

I was talking about greenside spin, in particular. Firmer balls do spin less of the Driver and irons, that can lead to an increase in distance for higher SS players. That is what Phil was referring to.

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was talking about greenside spin, in particular. Firmer balls do spin less of the Driver and irons, that can lead to an increase in distance for higher SS players. That is what Phil was referring to.
so longer off long clubs, but pretty much the same greenside spin? sounds like a winner!

Agent Jay

Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I saw Harry mention something as well that made me wonder about an updated Chrome Soft ball, but that was the first time I knew anything. So, I too am looking forward to the new take on the BEST GOLF BALL EVER!

Mulligan9111

Go Skers!!
Reaction score
Handicap
4.0 GHIN
so longer off long clubs, but pretty much the same greenside spin? sounds like a winner!
It will only be longer if you are able to properly compress the ball.

Cats04

Reaction score
Handicap
7.8 GHIN
Interested in these changes..Like the Chrome Soft, but it couldn't kick the ProV1x out of the bag. Keeping them and seeing how they do in the colder weather this winter when I get out.

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I'm not a huge fan of the Chrome Soft because it feels like mush when I hit it. A firmer version would be awesome!!!

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in