Chronicles of a "Training Aid" Junkie

Grinder it appears you are a worker! I do like Stan Utley's approach to the short game as well as the full swing. I would recommend "The Art of the Swing". I also like an old book "Swing Easy, Hit Hard" by Julius Boros.
You certainly practice more than I do but I like to keep my stats GIR, FIR, and putts taken, I also like to keep up with full shots hit and less than full shots hit during a round. The last two stats will tell you where you need the most work.
just some things I do that might help you spend your practice time with a little more focus.
I also have the glove you mentioned for practice and it works very well for me too. I find if I hit about 10-15 balls with it before I play my ball strking is better during the round.
Do you think the orange whip is worth purchasing? I have considered getting one.

Last edited:
majbc,

I really like the "Orange Whip", however, I now only warm up with it before each round. It is a terrific aid for tempo and timing. It also helps with transition, as it makes you wait on it. For me, it's not an every day practice aid, but when you need it, it really comes in handy. If tempo and timing are targets for you, I say it's well worth it. It's also well made and their website has some really good drills. If this is not a problem area, I would probably get a new pair of shoes or something instead.

A golf buddy noticed that I was cupping my left wrist last fall. I completely wore out one Swing Glove last year and purchased a new one this year. I probably need to hit a dozen balls with it once a week for maintenance. It's also very effective for chipping practice.

Which book would you recommend the most: A) The art of the Swing or B) Swing Easy, Hit Hard?

Thanks for the info on the orange whip.
As for the books, I think it's all in how one learns both are easy reads and not overly analytical. Utley's book is probably more detailed, but the Boros book is genius in its simplicity plus it was the first golf instruction book I ever used. The Utley book is definitely more of a modern approach.
I also like all the Harvey Penick books, you've probably read them.
Somewhat simplistic books but they appeal to me.
Hope they help.

Harvey Pennick's "Little Red Book" was the first golf book I ever purchased. I loved his approach. I read a lot, but I also, keep my approach to the swing and game pretty simple.

My absolute favorite instructor of all time is Jimmy Ballard. He has not changed his teaching philosophy or methods for the past 50 years. Connection rules in his World. Connection basically means: "Take everything back together".

Love it and believe it.

Last edited:
I would agree with connection, I hit much better shots when I stay connected. John Jacobs is also good instructor. I tend to follow teachers which are not so technical or position oriented. I realize one has to be in these positions its just how the instructor gets you in them.
I think maybe you might like to start with the Utley book

I'm not a position player either. Ballard's method is easy as pie. There are no get to this position and then cock your wrist and then fold your right arm blah blah blah stuff.....

Not saying that these teachers are wrong, but I favor an athletic vs mechanical swing.

Mike Hebron's book, "See and feel the inside, move the Outside", was very insightful. More philosophy oriented. I believe you would like it also.

Will have to check on that book and look more at Ballard. Had a book that had about 50 short chapters on methods people have used for golf. Forget the name but some of the people in it were John Jacobs, Jim Mclean, Edgar Jones, Percy Boomer, Julius Boros, Eddie Merins, Johnny Miller, David Lee etc. you would enjoy this book it has some off the wall stuff as well as some legit instruction.

I agree I like for a teacher to tell me how to get where I need to go and not just tell me where I need to go. This is where it seems to me that a guy like Harvey Penick must have been a good teacher. From some of his stories he must have spent no more than 10 minutes with some students and had great results. Some might feel short changed by that approach but I would rather have results in 10 minutes than 45 minutes and no results. I also think the key aspect of his teaching (from reading about him) was instilling confidence in his pupils. I have grown to learn confidence is very important in sports and golf especially.

Grinder,

What did you think of the ball of steel? Have seen the videos about the product. My biggest putting problem is not getting the ball to the hole. Was thinking that this aid would help keep my from adding loft to the putter during the stroke and stroke through the ball.

Cnosil,

The "Ball of Steel" is a great product for anyone that decelerates. I seldom have that problem, but anytime I detect it, I work with these balls.

They are not really very fun to putt with. It takes a firm follow through. However, any golfer that leaves the blade open and pushes their putts would probably benefit from this aid.

"The Can't Miss" putting aid is the overall best putting aid on the planet. It totally rebuilt my putting stroke.

Cnosil,

The "Ball of Steel" is a great product for anyone that decelerates. I seldom have that problem, but anytime I detect it, I work with these balls.

They are not really very fun to putt with. It takes a firm follow through. However, any golfer that leaves the blade open and pushes their putts would probably benefit from this aid.

"The Can't Miss" putting aid is the overall best putting aid on the planet. It totally rebuilt my putting stroke.

Based on my analysis of my stroke, deceleration is most likely my problem. My hands no matter how long the back stroke are ending up an roughly the same spot on the followthrough.

Read your review/comments on the "the can't miss" even with the steep discounts around, it is more than I am willing to spend.

thanks for the response.

That book I was trying to remember the name of is "The Secret of Golf" edited by George Pepper. I think you might enjoy it.

Back