Clamping or other methods to hold heads in place

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Had a weird one on a single iron last night, after epoxy and everything, line up the shaft and when I went back to grip it had turned, not sure if I did it or it did on its own.
I've been standing mine almost vertical in a holder to cure.
Have a couple of the golfworks clamps.
Curious to what others do around here to ensure consistent alignment while curing.

I've always clamped for the first couple hours then unclamped and hit with 1500w heat for another few hours

I use some fishing line and shafting beads when building irons. Holds everything really tight and never have any turning while drying.

Lean the head against the bench, in relative position with shaft I want.
Check after a few hours and correct if necessary.

Lean the head against the bench, in relative position with shaft I want.
Check after a few hours and correct if necessary.
Installed new Winn grips with rib a while ago. Wondered why I was hooking my 7 iron lately....installed grip with closed face..

If you stand the club up-right for curing and the shaft had turned.... either it was not up-right as you think, or the fitting has too much movement.
How was it when you were dry fitting the shaft ? extra movement ? Can you wiggle the shaft inside the hosel a bit ? Does the hosel calls for a collared ferrule ?
The fit should not be too tight but also should not have extra space, if you could wiggle the shaft inside the hosel, it'll need some type of shim.
with the 24 hour epoxy, I'd like to leave the mixed epoxy in the open for a few minutes before applying it to the shaft tip and the hosel. The mixture will feel "thicker" when you stir it again.

Back