Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
Has anyone found a way that truly cleans sweat stains on a hat without disfiguring the hat? I spray mine, but with no hair, the sweat stains are there immediately. I can’t stand to wear sweat stained hats, so I go through them quicker than I go through golf clubs. Ha ha.

I've seen people use the dishwasher method. They sell plastic 'skeletons' to put them in.

Personally? I've got an absolute mop on my head, so sweat rarely breaches into the hat.

I use a 50/50 solution of water & vinegar. Soak the hat in water, spray the water/vinegar solution on the hat & let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse the hat thoroughly and let it dry. Sweat stains will be gone. (and as a bonus, the hat will NOT smell like a fish fry :LOL: )

I spray mine off with the garden hose as soon as I step out the car when returning from the course. Leave it outside to dry. For the record, I have very little hair and live and play in the deep south.

I take it into the shower and wash it with shampoo or soap, then let it dry

i usually just throw them in the washer on the "delicates" cycle with cold water and let them air dry. It's always worked for me, but I don't know if I would trust it in a top-load washer.

I rub a little dishwashing soap into the problem areas and run it through the dishwasher on the top shelf and then let it air dry..

Honey, wash my hat please. Works every time.

Do you guys really put your sweaty stinky hats in the dishwasher?

Apply a little dish detergent with an old toothbrush on outside and inside of hat where stained. Rinse and then soak for a few minutes in cold water. Rinse again in cold water. Shake off excess water. Hang to dry but not in sunlight. Shampoo would also work.

I take it into the shower and wash it with shampoo or soap, then let it dry

This is the method i use.

I use a 50/50 solution of water & vinegar. Soak the hat in water, spray the water/vinegar solution on the hat & let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse the hat thoroughly and let it dry. Sweat stains will be gone. (and as a bonus, the hat will NOT smell like a fish fry :LOL: )

Should try this method. Do you soak in hot water?

What's the issue. The water in the dishwater gets to "sanitizing" temperatures. I'm sure you put much worse in the dishwasher.

Yes, but my personal exception being that we also have a dishwasher in the basement that we never use for our dishes. It was there when we moved in, useless to us other than for my hats.

I have two of the wire frames for the hats. They go in them placed on the top shelf, regular dishwashing detergent, short-cycle with heat-dry off. Then I hang them to dry, still within their frames, for a day or so.

They keep their shape and come out sparkling.

I asked same thing recently - LINK

I ended up using the hat cage in the top of dishwasher method. Hats are as good as new. LINK (y)

Wet the hat, coat the inside and outside with Resolve carpet cleaner, let dissolve in then rub with a cloth or sponge - works like a charm!

For small spots, I use a microfiber town and some warm water. If tricky, I sometimes use some Dr. Bonner's soap, preferably the unscented one, and sometimes the lavender or citrus. You can get the tiny travel bottles at target in the fancy travel bottle section for $2 each.

For bigger issues, or when you have a sweat ring around the hat, I use the same towel and some Groit's Garage Interior Cleaner. I know. But this stuff is amazing. It is not soapy, suds just a bit, and dries without leaving a residue or stain. I use it for everything fabric or leather as my first attempt at cleaning issues.

I rinse mine with water in the sink anytime I sweat in them, and then hang them to dry.

Maybe once a month or so I will wash them in the top rack of the dishwasher on the China/crystal setting and dry them in the clothes dryer on a sweater rack. I have one of the plastic skeletonized hat frames, but found it’s not necessary.

I don't wash hats. Once it is to the point I feel it needs a wash, it just gets retired. That does not mean I throw it away. I just becomes a yard work or camp hat. No longer a golf outing hat.

I use the plastic hat cage in the top shelf of the dishwasher and no heated drying and no dishes either.

I throw my hats in the washer and run it on delicate, good as new.

I just soak mine in a plastic tub with water and detergent. You can spot treat any sweat stains if you want but I work in a factory where we have to wear baseball caps (for safety reasons), so my hats get pretty sweaty and greasy.
I used to throw them in the washing machine and let them air dry but they still sometimes would lose their shape, so now I just soak them in a platic tub and they come out like brand new.

I use warm water and either a little bit of laundry detergent or Oxi Clean. Gentle scrub with fingers or toothbrush for set-in stains. Rinse with cold water and let stand to dry.

Back