cleaning up/refinishing old putter

checkered

Team Paradise - 2023 Morgan Cup Champions!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
too high
Through random chance, I ended up with my grandfather on my mom's side's old clubs. It is an interesting set, Wilson Aggressor 1/3 woods, Taylormade Iron Cleek 1-PW, and and Acushnet putter. I was thinking it might be cool to clean up or refinish the putter, but I'm not sure if it's possible, or where to start if so.

Here's the putter:
20220523_201318.jpg
20220523_201327.jpg

So, the question is, what can I do, or what should I do?

Thanks for the input!

Personally I would keep it as is, especially because of the sentimental value. I’d also never play it, but rather would hold it and show others when visiting my home. But that’s just me. That’s how I treat my grandfather’s fishing rods. Ironically he would have been 99 years old this very day.

I wouldn't do a thing to it other than take it out and play it once, then retire it to a place of honor.

New leather grip is all I’d do, then play with it and see how you do.

Based on the nicks and dents on the bottom, in order to not lose a massive amount of weight, you'd need to weld, and grind. I'd suggest a laser weld, in order to get in there without completely losing the nice engravings on the sole.

After that, hit it with a buffing wheel and a few different polishing compounds, and it should look great.

If all you want to do is clean it up I would go with this Brasso Cloth Cleaner and possibly re-wrap the grip with some leather. What does the shaft look like?
the shaft isn't in bad shape, some scratches and a little rust in a couple places, but nothing big or deep.... hard to get a picture that shows well. The grip is in surprisingly decent shape (in my mind).

Based on the nicks and dents on the bottom, in order to not lose a massive amount of weight, you'd need to weld, and grind. I'd suggest a laser weld, in order to get in there without completely losing the nice engravings on the sole.

After that, hit it with a buffing wheel and a few different polishing compounds, and it should look great.

Thanks, that sounds like a lot of work/lot of specialty work. Is that something I'd ship it off to a shop somewhere to have done?

Can't wait to see what this looks like when it gets done!

I wouldn’t do anything to it. The patina is what makes it special. Cleaning it up will just reduce its value. Enjoy it as is.

I agree, if it was mine I would leave it as I found it. It's a vintage Bullseye, possibly the best putter ever made. I have never seen one with the 'Johnny Miller' stamped signature on one face like yours. That probably makes it more rare and therefore more valuable.

Since you think it could be cool to refinish I’d look to clean and polish it like suggested above. I’d be okay with leaving the nicks and not welding those to make them go away as it keeps the story alive. But a little shine wouldn’t hurt in my opinion.

Since you think it could be cool to refinish I’d look to clean and polish it like suggested above. I’d be okay with leaving the nicks and not welding those to make them go away as it keeps the story alive. But a little shine wouldn’t hurt in my opinion.

I am not really sure whqt i want to do, honestly. What you said is what i initially had in mind, but i was curious to see what options are out there or if it even made sense to do anything to it.

I never got to play with my grandpa, i started golfing after he had passed. I am stoked to have his clubs regardless. Have to put more thought into it all.

the shaft isn't in bad shape, some scratches and a little rust in a couple places, but nothing big or deep.... hard to get a picture that shows well. The grip is in surprisingly decent shape (in my mind).

Thanks, that sounds like a lot of work/lot of specialty work. Is that something I'd ship it off to a shop somewhere to have done?
Most likely, unless you're keen on learning. It's not very difficult, but it does require a good understanding of refinishing.

I am not really sure whqt i want to do, honestly. What you said is what i initially had in mind, but i was curious to see what options are out there or if it even made sense to do anything to it.

I never got to play with my grandpa, i started golfing after he had passed. I am stoked to have his clubs regardless. Have to put more thought into it all.
There are places you can send it off, they can work out some of the nicks, and do a full on refinishing. Or you can self clean, leave maybe a little more of that patina.

The other thing you could do with the other clubs that I’ve seen done, is to take some of the heads and use them to create a coat rack. Some may be appalled by that idea, but if you have the right spot in the house I think it’s neat. For example, if you keep your clubs in your office, you could
hang it there and have a spot for hats, golf jackets, etc. This way you get to see and interact with the old clubs as it’s not likely you would play a lot of rounds with an old 1 iron. It makes a nice display and conversation piece.

Through random chance, I ended up with my grandfather on my mom's side's old clubs. It is an interesting set, Wilson Aggressor 1/3 woods, Taylormade Iron Cleek 1-PW, and and Acushnet putter. I was thinking it might be cool to clean up or refinish the putter, but I'm not sure if it's possible, or where to start if so.

Here's the putter:
View attachment 9090800
View attachment 9090801

So, the question is, what can I do, or what should I do?

Thanks for the input!

I loved those Bullseye putters. I think I have a std. weight and a flange model laying up in the shop attic somewheres.

I love the patina and it's only original once. As with many antiques trying to make them look new only ruins them. I have an old Bullseye far more beat up than that one, it's just the way they were carried back then, no headcover.

My $.02.

Yours definitely looks in better shape than the one I found this morning:
20220525_102021.jpg
20220525_102030.jpg

So I learned something interesting talking to my mom about this putter. Turns out my Grandpa and one of my mom's uncles knew Johnny Miller and were friends. My mom has a memory of meeting him at the business my granda ran. Pretty trippy and cool.

I haven't yet done anything with the putter, I'm torn between leaving it as is and just trying to polish the head up a bit. I thought I'd like the idea of it cleaned up, but many of your thoughts to leave it as is has me questioning it....trying to decide. ...tough decision.

So I learned something interesting talking to my mom about this putter. Turns out my Grandpa and one of my mom's uncles knew Johnny Miller and were friends. My mom has a memory of meeting him at the business my granda ran. Pretty trippy and cool.

I haven't yet done anything with the putter, I'm torn between leaving it as is and just trying to polish the head up a bit. I thought I'd like the idea of it cleaned up, but many of your thoughts to leave it as is has me questioning it....trying to decide. ...tough decision.
Buff it up, clean it up, but I wouldn't do anything to crazy with it. It is a great memento that really doesn't need an overhaul IMHO

Back