Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

No doubt! It seems like you really liked them TH. Can you comment much on the forgiveness? It'll be great when you get a chance to hit them with a different shaft. It sounds like you had a great day out there with them though, I could really get that sense from your write up.

Question for TH. You said you could not keep the ball low and I believe you were using S300s correct? And you were seeing a higher ball flight than what you are used to with the 2.0s and KBS Tour?

Normally the S300 is one of the lowest launching shafts out there and with the profile of this head, I would have guessed you would have seen much lower ball flight. Was the wind hurting this or could the mats have played a role here?

Awesome review. I am really wishing these would drop already because I am in the market for new sticks!

Question for TH. You said you could not keep the ball low and I believe you were using S300s correct? And you were seeing a higher ball flight than what you are used to with the 2.0s and KBS Tour?

Normally the S300 is one of the lowest launching shafts out there and with the profile of this head, I would have guessed you would have seen much lower ball flight. Was the wind hurting this or could the mats have played a role here?

Yes, the TT S300. Maybe I need an X flex in the TT? A couple of things could be in play here outside of the shafts JB. There was a head wind, so that is a minor factor. The mats also could have something to do with it for sure, but it could have also be the lofts. The 6 iron is at 31* (4* weaker than the 2.0's), so basically it is a 7 iron compared to what I am used to. So the flight wasn't too bad for a 7 iron if I think about it that way. I only had an hour or so to play, and wanted to hit everything, so I will have much more time with them when we get our demo's next week. I was very surprised how high I hit the 6 iron, but may need to rethink my expectations with the players lofts.

No doubt! It seems like you really liked them TH. Can you comment much on the forgiveness? It'll be great when you get a chance to hit them with a different shaft. It sounds like you had a great day out there with them though, I could really get that sense from your write up.

Surprising amount of forgiveness. I hit a couple thin, and they lost some yardage, but still got out there 170-175 or so and straight. I hit a couple slightly off the toe as well and they were decent results too (front of green type of results). You will love the sound of these TC. I am loading some stuff up right now that will show the sound hopefully.

Yes, the TT S300. Maybe I need an X flex in the TT? A couple of things could be in play here outside of the shafts JB. There was a head wind, so that is a minor factor. The mats also could have something to do with it for sure, but it could have also be the lofts. The 6 iron is at 31* (4* weaker than the 2.0's), so basically it is a 7 iron compared to what I am used to. So the flight wasn't too bad for a 7 iron if I think about it that way. I only had an hour or so to play, and wanted to hit everything, so I will have much more time with them when we get our demo's next week. I was very surprised how high I hit the 6 iron, but may need to rethink my expectations with the players lofts.

Hmmm. Okay. Thanks for the info.
I know the lofts are different, but with the different CG of the club the launch and flight should be similar between 6 iron and 6 iron meaning I would expect the one with the s300 and players design to launch lower. Just my thoughts after some experience with them.

Moreso the part above where you spoke about not being able to flight them low. Here is the quote.

The shaft on the other hand is not for me. I could not get the ball down. I tried to knock the ball down and just couldn't do it. The ball flight was towering and very pretty to watch, but too high for my taste. Side note, My instructor loved the shaft and was hitting every shot in the book with both the 588 mb and cb. He has a slower swing speed than I do (and is a +2 HC).

Just based on my experience with shafts, the S300 is definitely a low launcher and the holds up so well to some of the stoutest swings we have encountered. Perhaps you do need a X as you mentioned.

I have to say that I am now more confused then when I started and think I have to get in touch with someone that can help. In our testing we saw S300 continually offer the lowest launch of the stiff shafts we tried with these irons (Nippon, KBS, PX) and not being able to flight it low even with a knockdown has me questioning our tests. I dont want to give advice to someone without knowing the full story so I will see what I can come up with today. Thanks for the writeup.

Here is the video of me hitting the 588 CB. Love the sound.

Sounds like he was fitting you to the C-Tapers too. They sound powerfully muted. Nice!

Hmmm. Okay. Thanks for the info.
I know the lofts are different, but with the different CG of the club the launch and flight should be similar between 6 iron and 6 iron meaning I would expect the one with the s300 and players design to launch lower. Just my thoughts after some experience with them.

Moreso the part above where you spoke about not being able to flight them low. Here is the quote.

Just based on my experience with shafts, the S300 is definitely a low launcher and the holds up so well to some of the stoutest swings we have encountered. Perhaps you do need a X as you mentioned.

I have to say that I am now more confused then when I started and think I have to get in touch with someone that can help. In our testing we saw S300 continually offer the lowest launch of the stiff shafts we tried with these irons (Nippon, KBS, PX) and not being able to flight it low even with a knockdown has me questioning our tests. I dont want to give advice to someone without knowing the full story so I will see what I can come up with today. Thanks for the writeup.

Not sure. I am by no means a shaft expert, but I was hitting these high. The good news is I was also getting good distance. Keep in mind I only hit 12-15 balls with them and have only touched my clubs a couple times in the last 2 months due to our bad weather.

Awesome feedback Tomahawk. I can actually see Cleveland staffers foaming at the mouths reading your thoughts!

Sounds like he was fitting you to the C-Tapers too. They sound powerfully muted. Nice!

Yeah, we were just theorizing. I was fit last year to the KBS Tour (before the C taper was out) and have wanted to try the c tapers since.

Yeah, we were just theorizing. I was fit last year to the KBS Tour (before the C taper was out) and have wanted to try the c tapers since.

So are you going to order a set or what, LOL

So are you going to order a set or what, LOL

Yeah, but JB has me wondering if I should get a full shaft fitting again, since my last one was over a year ago, and I have undergone a swing change.

Yeah, but JB has me wondering if I should get a full shaft fitting again, since my last one was over a year ago, and I have undergone a swing change.

Heck yes you should dude. Aren't you meeting with the Cleveland guy again?

Good write up TH.....really liked the info and comparison!

Nice thoughts THawk they are stunners up close and personal. I took a look at your impact position with the club head and it seems that you are catching the ball on the up swing. This might explain the really high flight you were seeing. The mat also acts as a spring board which will add to the height of your shot. I'd be interested to see your ball flight off the turf with a more descending blow. Thanks again for your thoughts

Heck yes you should dude. Aren't you meeting with the Cleveland guy again?

Yeah, next week. The problem is that my instructor has moved locations and doesnt have a launch monitor yet. It is going to be about a month before it is in. So to get some legit number, I would have to go elsewhere, which I don't really want to do. We do have a GolfTec though. I guess I could pay the $50 and see what they have to offer in the way of fitting. Hmmm...

Nice thoughts THawk they are stunners up close and personal. I took a look at your impact position with the club head and it seems that you are catching the ball on the up swing. This might explain the really high flight you were seeing. The mat also acts as a spring board which will add to the height of your shot. I'd be interested to see your ball flight off the turf with a more descending blow. Thanks again for your thoughts

Very well could be Freddie. I need to do some work on my swing for sure since I haven't hardly touched a club. Just trying to give some quick initial thoughts. Wish I would have had more time with them, but the rep was rushed.

TH, thanks for the thoughts on these. I am worried that even the CB's will be a little too much club for me, and because of this I am leaning towards the Black's. Any thoughts on them?

Enjoyed the feed back very much just trying to give you a little food for thought...
Very well could be Freddie. I need to do some work on my swing for sure since I haven't hardly touched a club. Just trying to give some quick initial thoughts. Wish I would have had more time with them, but the rep was rushed.

Here are some pictures from yesterday.
CB
Cleveland005.jpg

MB
Cleveland004.jpg

588 CB at address
Cleveland007.jpg

Cleveland006.jpg

Full bag of goodness
Cleveland003.jpg

TH, thanks for the thoughts on these. I am worried that even the CB's will be a little too much club for me, and because of this I am leaning towards the Black's. Any thoughts on them?

I really think you should consider the 588 CB. They are easier to hit than you may think, but they are alot of club. The Black's are really cool looking in person. So sleek and almost mean looking. I concentrated more on the 588's due to limited time, but I hit the Black's a couple of times. The head is pretty big, and I think they are made to go long and straight. I hit them well in the 5 or 6 swings I took. I will have the demo's in soon and be able to hit them more in the coming weeks.

Enjoyed the feed back very much just trying to give you a little food for thought...

I appreciate it. I have been known to scoop on occasion! HAHA

Full bag of goodness
Cleveland003.jpg

I know this is the 588 CB thread, but I'm very curious about this CG Black Tour driver that's in the bag! I'm wondering what is different from the standard CG Black 265 head.

I know this is the 588 CB thread, but I'm very curious about this CG Black Tour driver that's in the bag! I'm wondering what is different from the standard CG Black 265 head.
'

Slightly different face angle and a C. Kua 59 series shaft.

Back