Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

If one has irons that are properly fit to them, one can all but eliminate heel and toe strikes. The goal is to get a setup that fitns one's repeatable swing in order to consistently strike the center of the club face. I don't care what iron head is on the end of the shaft, if you are consistently striking the middle of the clubface then it really doesn't matter. I suspect that if someone needs a little help getting the ball up, then a GI iron is beneficial.

Unfortunately, my swing is not perfectly repeatable, and I therefore do not hit the sweet spot in the center of the clubface everytime. If I did my handicap would be as low as yours big fella.

Unfortunately, my swing is not perfectly repeatable, and I therefore do not hit the sweet spot in the center of the clubface everytime. If I did my handicap would be as low as yours big fella.

My clubs are fitted and I miss on the toe all the time! I also fat and thin clubs all the time too!

My clubs are fitted and I miss on the toe all the time! I also fat and thin clubs all the time too!

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I was fit for my clubs as well. And I think you and I have a different idea of all the time. hahaha

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I was fit for my clubs as well. And I think you and I have a different idea of all the time. hahaha

I was agreeing with you dude. Fitting doesn't automatically eliminate anything. My swing isn't perfectly repeatable, but I do hit the sweetspot often. My face angle gets my ball going in all sorts of the directions though. GI clubs won't help me with that

I was agreeing with you dude. Fitting doesn't automatically eliminate anything. My swing isn't perfectly repeatable, but I do hit the sweetspot often. My face angle gets my ball going in all sorts of the directions though. GI clubs won't help me with that

I know you were bro, but I have seen you hit balls, and you are a much better and a much more consistent striker of the ball than I am, so I just meant if I had your swing I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Well my last few rounds (aside from 1) I have struggled to break 83. Swing isnt everything.
I know you were bro, but I have seen you hit balls, and you are a much better and a much more consistent striker of the ball than I am, so I just meant if I had your swing I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Well my last few rounds (aside from 1) I have struggled to break 83. Swing isnt everything.

My best round ever is an 82. I have done it a few times, and even doubled 2 of the last 3 holes in doing it once, so there is the difference. It's cool though because I know you are a better golfer than me, but I also know we could hit the course and have a blast, and really, that is the important thing.

I hit these down in Florida and remember being impressed. Hit them again tonight and was just blown away. Holy cow are these awesome. Just the right amount of thickness to them so that you feel really comfortable over the ball but still get the look of a smaller profile. They had my least favorite shaft of all time(DG S300) and yet I still loved the feel of these. Completely blown away tonight. Hopped on a monitor and took 5 swings with a 6I. All the shots fell between 172 and 176. That is a nice little pattern there with very good dispersion as well. I love these clubs!

like111.png
My best round ever is an 82. I have done it a few times, and even doubled 2 of the last 3 holes in doing it once, so there is the difference. It's cool though because I know you are a better golfer than me, but I also know we could hit the course and have a blast, and really, that is the important thing.

I cant wait to hear some more thoughts on these.

I'm pretty sure these will be my next set of irons. At least they are the front runner so far. I just can't get over them, and I find myself becoming more and more of a Cleveland homer.

I hit these down in Florida and remember being impressed. Hit them again tonight and was just blown away. Holy cow are these awesome. Just the right amount of thickness to them so that you feel really comfortable over the ball but still get the look of a smaller profile. They had my least favorite shaft of all time(DG S300) and yet I still loved the feel of these. Completely blown away tonight. Hopped on a monitor and took 5 swings with a 6I. All the shots fell between 172 and 176. That is a nice little pattern there with very good dispersion as well. I love these clubs!

CL... You should feel them with KBS Tours. Two words. A mazing!

Tomahawk, I may get up with you at some point to go to the fitter you went to when you decided on these irons. I'll be in Oregon from May until August and I'll more than likely look to get these during that time. Following your progress has been awesome and seems like you had someone that was really great to work with.

Lalallala I cant hear you. Lalalalalala

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Tomahawk, I may get up with you at some point to go to the fitter you went to when you decided on these irons. I'll be in Oregon from May until August and I'll more than likely look to get these during that time. Following your progress has been awesome and seems like you had someone that was really great to work with.
Bahester... I'll do you one better. Pm me and we will discuss details if you wish.

CLEVELAND 588 CB 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff first impressions
Ball - Srixon Z Star
Conditions - Near optimal for April in Seattle

I played my first 2 rounds with the 588 CB's this weekend and had a blast!

First off, they are gorgeous out in the sunlight! One of the sexiest set of clubs I have ever seen.

Saturday was great weather (60 and sunny with little wind), and I was hot off the tee. First hole I had 134 to the green in the center of the fairway and I took my first official swing with the 588 CB PW. Right at the flag, tiny draw to 6 feet! SWEET!! BIRDIE. I birdied my first hole with my new irons. :) The rest of the round wasn't as pretty, but I hit them very well. Was long on some holes, a little short on some holes, but direction was spot on. My problem was I really struggled with my greenside game. Up and downs were few and far between and due to the distance issues, I had a ton of up and down opps. Needless to say, I didn't score at all, but was never in and real trouble and happy with contact and feel of the new irons. Hitting out of the fairway, these badboys cut the turf like a knife. My divots were perfect slices of turf, even and easy to replace. At least I know my lie angles are correct. I had a long fairway bunker shot (layup on a par 5) with my 6 iron and smoked it about 170 to the middle of fairway. The 588's thin sole also cuts through tough lies in the rough very well. All in all a very good first outing with the 588 CB's. I did struggle with distances, and there is little doubt that they are shorter than the 2.0's. I expected some distance issues, but was very happy with most of my results. I hit 8 GIR's and a few very close. Seems like my PW is a 135 club, 8 iron is 155, 6 iron is 180, 4 iron 205.

Sunday was a different round for me since I was really spraying it off the tee for some reason. I had a lot of irons out of the rough, and as I said earlier, they are great out of the rough. My swing as a whole was off a bit on Sunday, but I hit my irons far better than the Driver. My ball flights were very nice, bordering on high. Long irons hit the green and one hop stopped from the fairway. Short irons spun back some out of the fairway and checked and slightly rolled out from the rough. The one main difference I have noticed after 2 full rounds is the ball moves more right and left when I want it to. Hitting a draw, the ball really draws, hitting a fade, the ball really fades! I will be able to adjust to this fairly easily, as I think I will learn to ease up. My ultimate goal is slight movement either way (basically straight) and only big move when needed. The 2.0's were workable, but it just takes a little more effort, with the 588's, even a slight adjustment will move the ball. This is mostly good and I fear could be bad on occasion, but time will tell. It is just a matter of learning a new set. All in all, the differences wern't as glaring as I thought they would be, more subtle than anything.

Overall, I am in the usual love affair stage with the 588 CB's. Looks are top notch, the shaft is awesome, the feel is great, and I haven't lost as much distance as I thought I would. Give me 10 rounds with these and some warm weather and I will be able to give a better assesment, but all is good for now.

Nice update, TH. I have no doubt you'll figure out your distances pretty soon and see those GIR's go up.

Thanks for the Update TH. These were almost ordered last Friday haha.

I bet they were yoccos. Thanks guys. It is safe to say that I am in lust over the 588's right now. I want to go play again today.

Nice update, TH. I have no doubt you'll figure out your distances pretty soon and see those GIR's go up.
Thanks Hawk. I was actually pleasantly surprised. 205+ with the 4 iron is great, it will translate to 215+ in the summer. I just need to dial it in and have confidence. I choked down on a couple of shots and ended up short, and smoked a couple a little long, mostly from lack of confidence and out thinking myself. I just need a little time to build that trusting relationship. Nothing is better than standing over a shot knowing the distance is right in your wheelhouse and you can put a good strike on the ball.

That is a great update TH, and it sounds like you are really killing them. I also love hearing about the turf interaction.

Went absolutely off on these tonight at the shop. Walked in with the plan to put some swings on a few other things and saw the sweet combo set chilling on the rack and I couldn't resist. Well an hour later and I had only managed to hit 2 clubs, the 588 6 and 8 iron. Holy pondering man, came away so very impressed with these. I had always thought these were way over my head but after tonight I have no clue. Very little difference between these and what I'm playing now, sure misses were shorter but still straight and playable. Stock S300 shafts which I don't like but I am very curious what a fit set would be like.

--
Tapatalk2

those look sweet... I want to trade my Tour Burners in for something else but I think Im gonna stick with TM and go with the CB forged irons

I want to lick these to see if they taste like butter... Am I the only one?

Very attractive irons!!!

Back