Cleveland 588 TT Irons Preview Thread

CTaper light at the time, s300 would have been a closer fit to what I game now (s400)
hmm. I took them out last night and gave the shafts another chance. shot a 37 on the back 9 at my home course. that seems ok to me. I slowed my swing and just went for tempo not speed. they played really well. long and straight. I still don't prefer the long ligt shafts but I'm figuring out how to swing them. if I get too quick with them I can count on a snap hook. I actually didn't hate them last night. I haven't shot a 9 hole 37 in a long time. still think I would prefer something else but I may be leaning away from the S300s as I am no really a high ball hitter with the long irons. I can get 7-PW way up in the air but the longer ones I tend to hit on a rope. I'm worried the S30s will bring my flight down a bit too much.

hmm. I took them out last night and gave the shafts another chance. shot a 37 on the back 9 at my home course. that seems ok to me. I slowed my swing and just went for tempo not speed. they played really well. long and straight. I still don't prefer the long ligt shafts but I'm figuring out how to swing them. if I get too quick with them I can count on a snap hook. I actually didn't hate them last night. I haven't shot a 9 hole 37 in a long time. still think I would prefer something else but I may be leaning away from the S300s as I am no really a high ball hitter with the long irons. I can get 7-PW way up in the air but the longer ones I tend to hit on a rope. I'm worried the S30s will bring my flight down a bit too much.

sounds great, I might have put one in orbit on those stock shafts, but if it works for you enjoy it.

sounds great, I might have put one in orbit on those stock shafts, but if it works for you enjoy it.

what i would really like in them is KBS tours. at least i THINK i would.

any idea how differently the KBS tour or KBS tour 90s would play in these at a standard length as opposed to the 85s at the long length? i know the tour 90s are nearly as light but after you cut the 85s to standard length they will be close to 10 grams lighter than the 90s.

Why would you want kbs 90s in the TT head? That's a high hitting shaft and a lower trajectory head. Seems they'd be at odds. ?

Why would you want kbs 90s in the TT head? That's a high hitting shaft and a lower trajectory head. Seems they'd be at odds. ?

right but the stock shaft is a very high launching shaft also. with the strong lofts and a low trajectory head a high launch shaft makes sense to me. I want to get the ball up. I get a pretty penetrating flight with a low launch head/high launch shaft. I would ultimately prefer a mid launch but the high/low combo makes it a mid launch. I just want the shafts to play and a standard length. if I trim the stocks they become even that much lighter and I want a bit of weight to them.

right but the stock shaft is a very high launching shaft also. with the strong lofts and a low trajectory head a high launch shaft makes sense to me. I want to get the ball up. I get a pretty penetrating flight with a low launch head/high launch shaft. I would ultimately prefer a mid launch but the high/low combo makes it a mid launch. I just want the shafts to play and a standard length. if I trim the stocks they become even that much lighter and I want a bit of weight to them.

Have you ever looked at C-Taper Lites?

I havent. I think what i am going to do is have the stocks cut 1/2" and see what i can do to bring the swing weights back up and give that a try. Its the least expensive route to go so it seems like a good starting point.

the Cleveland rep sent me this link to their available options and it has a chart par way down the page that shows the weight/launch angle of each shaft. C-taper lites aren't on there. obviously that doesn't mean tey wont work but I just don't know anything about them.

I havent. I think what i am going to do is have the stocks cut 1/2" and see what i can do to bring the swing weights back up and give that a try. Its the least expensive route to go so it seems like a good starting point.

I like it, simple first and see how it goes. Make sure you keep us updated on it.

I certainly will. Should have them set up to play by mid next week.

Well, had them cut a halg inch and gripped with golf pride tour wraps. The length feels so much better. The clubs feel light of course. I hit a bucket today and hit them well. I played with some lead tape on them and brought the weight up till they felt pretty good. I do hit them high. Wouldnt mind bringing that down a bit byt im going to play 18 on saturday and see how they do and go from there.

I've noticed since switching to the TTs that I am seeing an increased number of "nuked" iron shots that just fly an ungodly distance beyond my averages. A few examples that stick out to me from recent rounds:

- Laying up on a par 5, planned for 170 yards, it went 210 and left me a very bad distance into the green (high and straight)
- Laying up on another par 5 from a bad lie in the rough, choked down 3/4 swing 6 iron punched low between and under trees to hook back into play, expecting maybe 150 yards, it went 191 yards (low draw)
-Approach from the fairway from 145 yard to a front pin, played a normal 8 iron, ball flew at least 160-165 in the air to the back right of the green (high and slight push)

Is it just a side effect of the head design? Been long time since I've played a more GI style head. I assume the springier face just sometimes results in blasted shots when you hit them just right? Either that or I need to figure out how to hit them that far all the time. :)

With any luck it will be option 2. Just learn to keep hitting them ridiculous yardage.

The 588 TT's are extremely strong-lofted irons, plus these come stock with extra long shafts, so you should be seeing increases in distance thru the set. (The 588 TT PW is just 44*).

With Project-X shafts at the stock shafts lengths, I find them to be a full club longer than other irons sets.

Nothing stock or long about mine. Custom fitted at club champion. I know the lofts are a club strong but I know my yardages for 99% of swings and then bam - 20 extra out of nowhere.

Better than 20 short out of nowhere. :)

late report but i played 18 last saturday with the shorter clubs. the lead tape really helped them feel better. i shot a 44 on the front and after some getting used to the feel and figuring out my tempo with the swing weight i managed an even par 36 on the back. not bad. i think i like them.....so far. it was only one round. we will see what happens but as of now they will stay in the bag.

Just replaced my 588 Altitude P,D&S wedges with the TT's to try and get a bit more spin from 100 meters in hope they will work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just replaced my 588 Altitude P,D&S wedges with the TT's to try and get a bit more spin from 100 meters in hope they will work for me.

Has anyone compared the two styles in these lofts the offset seems to match up well.

Has anyone compared the two styles in these lofts the offset seems to match up well.

After having these in the bag for over a month now I must say my short game has improved out of sight I seem to be getting better contact and better results.

After having these in the bag for over a month now I must say my short game has improved out of sight I seem to be getting better contact and better results.

That's good to hear.

That's good to hear.

Once I feel I am ready I think I will go to the 588 Rotex 2 instead of the D S and Smart Sole S.

Back