Cleveland 588 TT Irons Preview Thread

I second the shallow turf contact yields the best results. If you get too aggressive, the ball doesn't seem to go as far and plus it stings a little bit.

So sweepers delight??

So sweepers delight??

I normally sweep, but have been taking bigger divots with the TTs. It could also be all the damn rain too. Will know better once we get down to MB.

So sweepers delight??

Please do Dan. Mike, I think they are. You still need a downward blow but if you really hit down on it, it's like it floats up and hits the top of the face and goes nowhere.

I've gotten better with them since May buy the learning curve has been puzzling at times

Since my ball striking is a little better now id like to see how I hit these

I want the 5,6,7.

I think they are forgiving enough and the height I am seeing with the MCI's is perfect for me. I feel like I hit them better in general for some reason. As I've said though, the TT 's I have (8-pw) are by nature easier to hit.

Not long ago dhill and I joked a little about blowing this thread up with our TT love. We've both remarked at just how much we enjoy these irons and have both discussed plans to add more into our bags in the coming months.

For the last 18 months, my 'practice' iron has been the 7 iron. I've hit tens of thousands of 7 irons during this time, both in lessons and during practice. Since moving full time to the combo set, I've changed that to the TT 8 iron. It's just a joy to hit that I can't help myself. With a little added yardage I've gained over that time, it's also a club I hit a decent amount on the golf course as well now. Has definitely opened up the 150 yard marker for me as a place I feel very confident taking a shot from, which is allowing me some more options off the tee.

The same can really be said about the 9 and PW TT. I've hit some shots with them in the last few weeks that just blow me away. I'm not a dart thrower with irons in my hands by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm starting to feel like one (occasionally) with these things.

Spread the TT love MC'rs. I know you have to be careful with what you say, but let's hear it.

I saw several THPer's hit these irons amazing all week. It was great to watch.

I can talk a little bit about the practice rounds, certainly...

In fact there is one specific par 3 at True Blue that (if the hole is cut on the top tier) can play upwards of 195 not to mention being up the hill. Where the TTs perform best for me (I believe) is the 4-7 irons. They are just so easy to get up in a hurry and get on line to the hole.

Much of the last couple weeks I have been incorporating what has been a bit of a power draw into my swing. It's probably worth fixing, but it's consistent if anything. As I get into the longer irons, I think it's slowly tapers off, into something a lot more consistent.

I'll say this, I have never played so much golf around getting into the fairway and worrying about my approach from there. i used to be a 'hit to wedge and knock one stiff' kind of guy, but in and around the time I made the switch to the TTs, I really started to focus on fairways first, and I believe they allowed me to play that game without worrying about the number of yards left to the hole after the tee shot.

I can talk a little bit about the practice rounds, certainly...

In fact there is one specific par 3 at True Blue that (if the hole is cut on the top tier) can play upwards of 195 not to mention being up the hill. Where the TTs perform best for me (I believe) is the 4-7 irons. They are just so easy to get up in a hurry and get on line to the hole.

Much of the last couple weeks I have been incorporating what has been a bit of a power draw into my swing. It's probably worth fixing, but it's consistent if anything. As I get into the longer irons, I think it's slowly tapers off, into something a lot more consistent.

I'll say this, I have never played so much golf around getting into the fairway and worrying about my approach from there. i used to be a 'hit to wedge and knock one stiff' kind of guy, but in and around the time I made the switch to the TTs, I really started to focus on fairways first, and I believe they allowed me to play that game without worrying about the number of yards left to the hole after the tee shot.

I like that Dan. I think I could say something similar, thought my version would be more along the lines of 'hit it as close to the green as possible off the tee' rather than specifically looking to get a wedge in my hands. Last round I played I hit driver twice on 9 holes. Coincidentally, those two holes were the two I scored worse on.

Sometimes I swear hawk is in my head.
I was thinking as I fell asleep last night I had to get back in here and share a conversation we had.

Yes we talked about blowing it up, but I also told him Hawk that the thought had crossed my mind to try out another set of Irons.
But with how well I hit these clubs I'd be a fool to mess around with anything. I've never hit any irons as well as I hit the TT's, and the MT's run a close second.

I know some MC bags might get a full overhaul, and with almost everyone on THP being golf and equpment junkies that's okay. Like I said, it'd be really crazy for me to make a crazy change to my iron set up. I am going to be getting a TT 8 iron to replace the MT because I am literally licking my chops when I pull a TT.

I will have more thoughts in here after the coverage for the MC airs, but let me say this.

If you haven't hit the TT's, do so. (I know for a fact that DDXU, War, Hawk, One-T, & myself have enjoyed them. and I'm sure I'm forgetting some folks)
If you're worried about the "Tour Trajectory" and a more piercing ball flight, don't be. Paired with the right shaft you can do anything. I'm in a lighter weight shaft and I see a nice high ball flight that promotes an almost immediate stop, with either an E6 OR Q-STAR.

Again, next time you're out and about do yourself a favor and hit these clubs.

I like it Derek. I agree that you'd be insane to mess with these. They've brought you a LONG way dude. As I told you, there are so many things that are just done right with them. Enough of a cavity that they offer good forgivness with a sole and profile that seem to work very well for me. They remind me of Z-Stars on steroids.

The huge difference for me with these irons (and the MT's for that matter) is how they feel. Nothing comes close in their class in my opinion. I really don't know how they do it.

As for ball flight, I'd agree that they want to flight nice and high for me with the shafts I have in them. Love the ball flight and how fast they sit down for me on the green. Add to that the fact that I'm seeing a consistent shot shape and I feel like I know exactly where to aim and where the ball will end up.

Sometimes I swear hawk is in my head.
I was thinking as I fell asleep last night I had to get back in here and share a conversation we had.

Yes we talked about blowing it up, but I also told him Hawk that the thought had crossed my mind to try out another set of Irons.
But with how well I hit these clubs I'd be a fool to mess around with anything. I've never hit any irons as well as I hit the TT's, and the MT's run a close second.

I know some MC bags might get a full overhaul, and with almost everyone on THP being golf and equpment junkies that's okay. Like I said, it'd be really crazy for me to make a crazy change to my iron set up. I am going to be getting a TT 8 iron to replace the MT because I am literally licking my chops when I pull a TT.

I will have more thoughts in here after the coverage for the MC airs, but let me say this.

If you haven't hit the TT's, do so. (I know for a fact that DDXU, War, Hawk, One-T, & myself have enjoyed them. and I'm sure I'm forgetting some folks)
If you're worried about the "Tour Trajectory" and a more piercing ball flight, don't be. Paired with the right shaft you can do anything. I'm in a lighter weight shaft and I see a nice high ball flight that promotes an almost immediate stop, with either an E6 OR Q-STAR.

Again, next time you're out and about do yourself a favor and hit these clubs.

Derek is right, the TTs will not be going anywhere for me.

All this TT talk still has me thinking what if they ended up in my bag?

What's stopping you ddec.

Well that's crazy talk.

Back