Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

nice biggsy!

Did I say these were gorgeous...probably, but I'll say it again, they are gorgeous.

Specs:
60, 56, 60.
Black Pearl finish.
Mid bounce on all 3 with no grinding.
Light Blue with Yellow Paint fill.
KBS C-Taper 130 gram. The shaft looks graphite, but it's steel.
Blue on Black NDMC grips

Here are some pics:

4c06c804-6bc6-4796.jpg

4c06c804-6bea-5508.jpg

4c06c804-6c8b-f984.jpg

4c06c804-6d32-3757.jpg

4c06c804-6d6a-40c6.jpg

Tappin from my iPad

Got home late last night, but was thrilled to see a very special black box waiting for me...

6801111719_ceea9ac97c_z.jpg

6801112223_1faff661cf_z.jpg

6801112717_9f3e0308f1_z.jpg

6801113479_7cb999bbff_z.jpg

6801113987_035fe54a82_z.jpg

6801114549_968cc6f80a_z.jpg

6801115067_3bafeb821d_z.jpg

6801115531_1cc4aee513_z.jpg

6801115849_44af3f51b5_z.jpg

6801116281_3ed7e7fb11_z.jpg

6801116653_9bbc956e26_z.jpg
6801117243_8320799b22_z.jpg

I went with a very custom route. I've had this idea for wedges for quite some time now and what better way to break it out than with Cleveland's My Custom Wedge! These turned out fantastic, just how I dreamt them up. I decided to go with the "faux 50" (bent to 48), the 52 and the 56 (low). Also went with the DG Spinners (very cool) and the Golf Pride New Decade Multi-compound grips, each a different color to match the custom colors on the wedge.

Pretty soon, I'm gonna have to pull out my dictionary and thesaurus or start making up words to describe how awesome these are and what an overwhelming feeling it is to have clubs custom made. I took a couple cuts last night in my living room and these feel great. Definitely heavier than my xFT's but that's a good thing. I'm gonna have a hard time getting these dirty! Right now I want to put them in a glass case and hang them up on my wall.

Big thank you to Cleveland/Srixon and THP. These wedges are schmawesome!

tnolan. I love the way your wedges turned out. Now you can smack the titleist guy with your wedge...LOL

Loved how you showed the versatility of the customization process.

I went back in forth with the cut-off milling on the back of the club. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but after seeing yours, it's real sharp. Hope they treat you well brother.

Tappin from my iPad

I was happy to see a sweet black Custom Wedge box on my doorstep today. Here's a short video and some pictures.

Packaging:

DSCN0303-L.jpg

DSCN0312-L.jpg

DSCN0314-L.jpg

DSCN0310-L.jpg

DSCN0319-L.jpg

DSCN0321-L.jpg

DSCN0323-L.jpg

DSCN0341-L.jpg

DSCN0343-L.jpg

DSCN0339-L.jpg

DSCN0360-L.jpg

Hawk...great job on the video and going over the custom options. I like your tribute to Team THP with your stamping.

If you'll notice, Hawk left off the stamping in the middle of the club. Mine says "Custom", which is an option and you can add the 588 logo and some other items, but thought it was interesting Hawk left it off. It looks real clean buddy. Hope they treat you real well.

Tappin from my iPad

Thanks, biggsy. I like that clean look and being able to order it up like that was really nice. My first design didn't have the toe stamp either, but I put it on there at the last minute to balance things out a bit.

Wedges look good Biggsy. Love that youe went with MC 2.0 on them, and the colors look awesome!

Wow great wedges tnolan and Biggsy. I live the colors tnolan and Biggsy, yours are just classy and awesome!

Hawk, tnolan, + biggsy.. your wedges all look awesome! 3 very different approaches but they all look great.

Nice video and great looking wedges there biggsy. Looking forward to hearing how those c-tapers wrk for you.

very nice looking wedges gentlemen! I like the customization very much.

Jeez I am loving all of these custom wedges. Tnolan, yours have to be my favorite so far, they look amazing. Biggsy, yours turned out great as well.

Man, I have really liked everyone's wedges. TNolan I love the different paintfill in each wedge. Not even something I would have thought of.

An interesting first run with the wedges. I hit them on an indoor simulator this afternoon.

The launch monitor numbers are taken from a Full Swing simulator that was just retrofit with new spin cameras and their latest pass-thru screen. It was just calibrated yesterday so it's pretty accurate.

What I did was take my current wedges (Taylormade xft 50, 56, 60 with kbs tour x). I took 4 shots from each with a Bridgestone e6. I tossed out any I hit thin so as to not skew the distance numbers.

When ordering the wedges I went with the C-tapers in X flex. I wanted to bring my wedge flight down because I felt I was hitting them so high I couldn't control them and from what I've read these shafts will do just that. A shot in the dark with never hitting them, but I had a great info source in our resident shaft tester, TC.

I'll post xft numbers then the Cleveland 588 customs:

50 Degree

4c06c804-8885-dc81.jpg

4c06c804-889b-8283.jpg

Going off averages:

+3 yards in overall distance.
+4 yards carry
+1400 rpms (wow)
-2 degrees launch
+4 mph ball speed
Dispersion a little tighter with xft
+200 rpms side spin

Saw the biggest improvement in overall numbers with this club but accuracy suffered a little. Of the three new wedges, hit this one consistently flush the most

56 degree

4c06c804-8c94-fa0d.jpg

4c06c804-8cf4-d4a6.jpg

+1 yards in overall distance.
+0 yards carry
-500 rpms
-0 degrees launch
+0 mph ball speed
Dispersion a little tighter with xft
-500 rpms side spin

Almost no change with this wedge.

60 degree

4c06c804-8e71-4e01.jpg

4c06c804-8ed4-5723.jpg

-7 yards in overall distance.
-6 yards carry
-2000 rpms
+4 degrees launch
-2 mph ball speed
Dispersion tighter with 588 (11')
-1300 rpms side spin

Even though distance numbers down and hitting quite a bit higher, my dispersion is tighter and less side spin so more accurate. This was the most accurate of the 3.

Overall the wedges feel pretty damn good. The weight (130g) of the shafts feel perfect for me. Felt like it even helped the rhythm of my swing.

The faces remind me a lot of the cg15s. In feel and spin off the face. That's a good thing in my book.

I've always been of the belief its hard to ever go wrong with Cleveland wedges. Couple the customization option and just the sheer feel of these out of the box and it sure looks like a winner. Can't wait to get some more testing done. It's obvious very early to draw and conclusion and appears I could use a little more accuracy, but it's a positive start.

The club pro that I've been working with hit them, he used to play the old Cleveland wedges, just fell in love with these wedges.

Should be out on the course sometime this week to get some real world feedback as sims are only so accurate.

Thanks for reading.

That's sick biggsy. I'm a bit surprised at the spin #'s out of the 50*. That was interesting. I can't wait for you to get them outside though. It'll be neat to hear about you trying to manipulate flight outdoors with the CT's, which is where I believe they'll be superior.

Thanks for posting that, biggsy. Looking forward to hearing more as you get accustomed to them.

nice wedges biggsy

thanks biggsy!
i definitely took full advantage of the customization. i went with an idea and it worked out great!
i'm am very, very pleased with how they turned out. sometimes it was tough to tell when creating them online but it paid off and man they are sweet!

loving everyone else's slick designs as well...
Hawk with the THP colors and stamp
Biggsy with the MC2.0 shout-out
Ary with the Dukie tribute
JB with the triple-threat combo

Can't wait to see what the other 3 come up with!

biggsy and tnolan, I just went through this thread to see what you had created, both of you did awesome jobs! Those wedges look awesome, I know that you're going to be happy for them. I'll echo was tnolan just said, it's really fun to see how everyone went in a slightly different direction with how they wanted to customize the wedges, they definitely show off everyone's personalities.

I had my first run with these wedges on the course today, as I couldn't turn down an open golf course with temperatures above 50 degrees up here today. I will say that my long game had quite a bit of rust on it, I couldn't get really comfortable with my swing all day. However, on well-struck shots, these wedges really performed. I had some good success with 3/4 shots and some full shots too, and I really liked the trajectory that I was getting with the DG Spinner shafts, no moon balls or fliers with these clubs. After I got a little better feel with these wedges (no warmup today, just straight to the first tee), I was also able to hit some really nice chips on the back nine, which led to 4 straight one putts on that side. Obviously, it's just one round, but I liked what I saw out of them when I wasn't making bad swings.

hey ary could you post a close up of the grinds on yours id like to see it if you get a chance.... thanks bro.

glad to hear your liking what you see in your first round out. im really loving mine and plan on getting more.

biggsy, those wedges are slick. Love the gold and blue. That black finish just looks dead sessy.

Biggsy- Dude love what you did with the wedges! The blue and yellow look sweet on the black! Like the MC 2.0 Stamping too!! Good job bro.

TNolan- Teammate. Those are some sick looking wedges! Like how you matched the paintfill with grips on each wedge. Plus the Red, White and Blue for USA!!! Nice.

Great update biggsy! Glad you went with the chargers colors, nice touch that makes these even more special. I was intrigued when you mentioned going with the c-tapers, looks like you found something that suits you well.

I want some wedges!! Turned around on my way to Naples today to follow the FedEx guy only to see him keep driving past my office :sad-face:

I hit these wedges today and now I want them bad!!!

Great update biggsy! Glad you went with the chargers colors, nice touch that makes these even more special. I was intrigued when you mentioned going with the c-tapers, looks like you found something that suits you well.

I want some wedges!! Turned around on my way to Naples today to follow the FedEx guy only to see him keep driving past my office :sad-face:

Thanks. Do they only go out to your office once a week? I know we aren't that far away, you are just in the sticks more...haha

Looking forward to what you and the others came up with.

Tappin from my iPad

We've lost most of our snow at the moment, but it's sloppy and soft out. Still, couldn't really not take some chip shots with these, so I did yesterday. Just shorties (20 yards or so), both normal and open faced with the 57.

I would describe sound and feel as pretty much classic Cleveland. Tone is low and soft. In my mind, moreso than even the CG15. I was able to hit low chips and high little lobs without issue. I may just take them to the practice football field if I can today, but it's very iffy. After I was done I immediately ran the wedge under hot water and wiped it clean haha.

Back