Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Thanks guys, they are absolutely smashing. I literally was grinning ear to ear when I opened the box.

You know it dude, that one will be ordered very soon. After seeing the one they posted after the championship game it was hard to resist but I wanted black pearl in the MC.
I hear ya, even I have to say it looked pretty damn good.

Did you have a camera outside just to make sure fed ex didn't throw them over your fence?? Tsk tsk...

SW those wedges are lovely, i really don't think i've seen a better looking wedge plus you know the performance is going to be there

The 588's look great, SW. Congrats and hit them well. Hoping to get some full swing time in with mine this evening.

I love how SW's wedges turned out. Simplistic and beautiful color selection my friend. What better color to use to represent a wonderful golf event in the Carolina's. I'm seriously hoping mine show up today. The anticipation is awful.

Hoping so too, TC!

I had to whole damn day off yesterday. It was 55° on the first of Feb. I was looking at my wedges sitting in the bag with a paintbrush in my hand. I'm not sure if there are any courses around here that are open, but I do know of a practice football field that might be getting some divots ripped out of it tomorrow :)

Those are beauties SW! Digging the tribute to MC 2.0 on them. Well done.

Finally had a chance to take full swings with the 588's this evening at the indoor facility/launch monitor/sim/whatever you want to call it. I always try to use the first session or two with a new club as feeling out time. I try my best to erase expectations and just get used to swinging the new stick. I usually don't do much in terms of analyzing numbers on the first session, but it's not always easy.

As I've mentioned before, the lofts I went with are 49, 53, and 57. I plan to be able to use all three for full shots, but also want to be able to take a variety of other shots with each one. I went with the lofts I did so I could match gaps with my eventual MC2 iron set. One thing I noticed is that the 588's are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter than my CG15's. However, the CG15's were not stock. They had aftermarket DG Spinners installed in them prior to me receiving them. I did bring the CG15 50° so I could make some comparisons if I chose to. One note is that I don't know the lie angle of the CG15's.

All that said -

The first 588 I worked with was the 49°. I hit this one more than the others as it will get used quite a bit. Honestly wasn't swinging great tonight after a week off, but found some good success with this wedge. Quite a few shots towards the heel, but I expected that. I ordered these standard lie knowing that I'd likely need to bend them flat. Reasoning is that I want to make sure my evolving swing still needs a flatter lie before I commit to bending them. I heel the CG15's quite a bit too (they are not fit for me either), and tend to put balls left with them. The good news - the 588's were closer to center for me and quite consistent. Still a little tendency to go a bit left, but that's a fitting issue. Well struck shots were nice. Real nice! Incredibly soft sound and feel on the hands. Distance was exactly where I was hoping it would be, so that was comforting. Also took a number of 1/2 and 3/4 shots with good success. This will definitely be my utility wedge from odd distances, so I want to be able to hit varying distances and trajectories.

I'm truly not sure what the 53°'s role in my bag will be outside full shots. Even though it's only one degree lower than the 54 I normally play, mentally it seems like a different wedge to me. I do plan on using it for full shots from a number, so I took only full shots with it tonight. Didn't hit it that many times, but the shots I took were similar to the 49 in that they hit the distance I wanted and were reasonably consistent.

The 57° will be a full shot wedge, sand wedge, short chipping club, and a lob wedge. I don't think I even took a full shot with it tonight. I did take a large number of open face lob shots with it and was happy with the results. One question mark I had when transitioning to the 588's was moving from a sole that had a S grind to the standard 588 sole. I didn't have any issues with opening the face. This isn't a shot I take all that often, but it's one that I want to have available to me. Also practiced short (10-15 yard) chips shots on the indoor practice green. Holed the second one and another and was able to hit the closed face/low chip shot I like.

The Lamkin grip is real nice. A bit squishy, but the texture is pretty aggressive and it's tacky. In all, a pretty good first showing and I look forward to more time with the 588's.

Nice write up Hawk.

Is the Lamkin grip standard on the 588's? This was probably answered before but I was at dicks yesterday and noticed all of the 588's (none of which were lefty) had lamkins on them. makes me kind of jealous that my wedges didnt come with them.

Thank you for posting up the first impressions. How did the TC shaft feel to you on full shots vs the spinner? More stable etc etc.

--
tapatalk

Really great feedback Hawk. I look forward to seeing how you continue to transition with them as the MC gets closer.

Wow what a great first update hawk.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice write up Hawk.

Is the Lamkin grip standard on the 588's? This was probably answered before but I was at dicks yesterday and noticed all of the 588's (none of which were lefty) had lamkins on them. makes me kind of jealous that my wedges didnt come with them.

I had the Lamkin Performance Plus grips installed as a custom option. I believe the Lamkin Crossline comes standard. I would say that I prefer the PP grip over the Crossline (I have Crosslines on my irons).

Thank you for posting up the first impressions. How did the TC shaft feel to you on full shots vs the spinner? More stable etc etc.

--
tapatalk

I thought it was great. Tonight it felt as if the CG15/Spinner combo felt heavier and more stiff in hand. I only took a few shots with the CG15's, but my results with full swings tonight were better with the 588/Tour Concept combo. Time will give me more info to share, but first impressions were very good.

I had the Lamkin Performance Plus grips installed as a custom option. I believe the Lamkin Crossline comes standard. I would say that I prefer the PP grip over the Crossline (I have Crosslines on my irons).

Really? I've been hawkpondering putting crosslines on all my clubs. Maybe I should look at the PP instead?

I guess I could have phrased that better. I've been happy with the Crosslines on my irons, but if I had a choice between the two I'd take the PP. The Crosslines are very much a classic Tour Velvet type grip. The PP have a little more aggressive surface texture. All personal preference, of course.

I thought it was great. Tonight it felt as if the CG15/Spinner combo felt heavier and more stiff in hand. I only took a few shots with the CG15's, but my results with full swings tonight were better with the 588/Tour Concept combo. Time will give me more info to share, but first impressions were very good.

I'm not surprised by this at all, the TC shaft is ~5-10 grams lighter than the DG Spinner shafts, depending on which flex of Spinner shafts you are compared the TC shafts to. I felt the same thing when I hit the 588 wedge with the TC shaft in a shop compared to the newest Mizuno wedges with the Spinner shafts. It's all personal preference, I preferred the heavier feel and slightly lower ballflight of the DG Spinner shafts compared to the TC shafts.

SW, great looking wedges! Love the clean look you went with. Hawk, nice write up bro! You have me totally jealous right now. I am really hoping mine come in on Monday.

There are some seriously nice wedges here!! Making me crave them.

I guess I could have phrased that better. I've been happy with the Crosslines on my irons, but if I had a choice between the two I'd take the PP. The Crosslines are very much a classic Tour Velvet type grip. The PP have a little more aggressive surface texture. All personal preference, of course.

understood. thanks though. I'll definitely take a look at both. I want new grips but mine really aren't that worn yet so i guess it really is just pondering at this points. Maybe I'll like the PP better. I don't have any experience with them.

Really nice update Hawk! I knew you'd be able to bring some lovely initial thoughts up in here. Really good thoughts on the Lamkin grip too, as I chose the exact same ones. I like that they are "tour velvetish".

Thanks buddy. They are kind of like TV's on steroids maybe? A little softer/mushier, but more grip. They look real nice too. I suspect they'll dirty up quite easy, but that's to be expected. Weather is supposed to suck to today, but I'm highly considering finding a goat track course that's open to hit these on grass.

Hawk that was an excellent writeup dude

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

great first impressions Hawk.
hopefully i can get to Erie today...take my customs out for an indoor session. (and maybe hit some other clubs as well)...

Thanks everybody.

Hit a large number of wedge shots today on the course. Basically, the course was a big driving range for me, so I could just park and hit balls.

The 49 is competing hard to be my favorite club in the bag right now. That thing is so versatile it's not funny. Full shots are slightly higher than what I was seeing with the Spinners, but I think I prefer the feel of the TC shaft through the swing. It just feels a little smoother I guess? I'm not the best at describing shafts, but that's the impression I was getting. I was also able to hit low chip shots and the low pitch shots I love to hit. I had no problem keeping the ball low when I wanted, which is important to me since I utilize that shot a great deal on the course. This will be my go-to wedge and I'm happy to see it is able to do everything I need it to.

Still not sure where the the 53 will fit in my bag outside of full shots. However, it did perform its duty on full shots very well.

I also worked on some different shots with the 57. The big one today was opening the face a bit to hit a high lob. I wanted to see how the sole worked for me on the grass in this shot and it was just what I was hoping for. Hit a few short chips and pitches with it as well and was able to make it do what I wanted. Can't wait to get some time in around the greens with these guys.

Back