Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Man I keep telling myself not to come in and yet I can't help myself. These wedges are stunning and I need them!

very nice motoo

Haha, if you hit the truck on 95 I would have given them to you Matt. They feel good off the fairway, need to actually spend some time around the green with them. Thanks Buck.

Looked at these last night. They look amazing in person, though the chrome has an insane amount of glare to them. I only saw them in store of course, though does anyone have the chrome finish, and if so, any problems in the actual sun with it?

Looked at these last night. They look amazing in person, though the chrome has an insane amount of glare to them. I only saw them in store of course, though does anyone have the chrome finish, and if so, any problems in the actual sun with it?

I had a chrome finish on one of my cg wedges and I would to imagine its similar. No issues, but I like the look of satin or black better.

got out to play today for the first round and first time hitting the 55* on grass.... wow i was impressed with it. wedge just throws darts at the holes. its a little shorter distance wise than what i was hoping but it was windy today so im still waiting to see how far i hit it with full shots once i get a day thats not windy. but its fitting in nicely right below my R11 AW. Both of these are above and under 100 yards it looks like so depending on where the pin is on the green and conditions and slope ect.... will give me some options for those shots which i get a lot. as for chipping its also did pretty well for me today nice to get a wedge with a little more run out again. been using my 60* a lot lately since i was without a 56* for a little bit. i'm glad i spend the money and got the 55* looks like its gonna fit in nicely to my bag and get plenty of use.

potential skim.

Will the 588s rust in any finish?

I went through a full bag fitting last week and these wedges were simply fantastic to swing. They seemed very easy to control compared the the SM4's that day. I didnt know that wedges were that expensive when the fitter wrote up the quote so there was some sticker shock, but damn i still want them. Ive been bargain shopping them and the cheapest that Ive found them is $99 through TGW preowned site.

raw finish on the customs will i don't believe any other will

Correct

Had another great range session with the 588's, very impressed. I have been getting the 58* to 85 yards and thats perfect for me. I needed that distance bad and these just perform.

Picked up another 588 yesterday, 50* to add to the collection. Getting the 3 of them 1/2" long and 2* up.

I think I might have to order a couple down the road. Can always have custom wedges ;)

I've read through this entire thread, but I'm interested to know what was the most important factor for you guys upgrading to these wedges? Was it the customization options, love and familiarity with the original 588, performance? The reason I ask is because I've been reading past threads in trying to determine which wedges I want to get, and many of you raved about the CG15's and CG16's also. So I'm just wondering what made you decide to replace them with the 588 forged?

Well, I changed to the 588's due to the Morgan Cup. Previously I had the CG15's with DG Spinners. I also reviewed the CG16's over a year ago. I haven't golfed long enough to know anything about the 'old' 588's.

Here's my rundown of the three:

CG16 - larger head, small cavity for added forgiveness, felt the stock shaft hit the ball a little too high. Straight-ish leading edge. Very nice wedge that I should have probably kept in the bag longer than I did, but I was convinced I needed low bounce wedges at the time.

CG15 with DG Spinners - smaller head, a little more rounded than the other three, has a grind that is supposed to assist with opening the face, nice feel, liked the ball flight with the spinners, able to keep the ball low if needed. Spinners were installed aftermarket. The stock shaft is the same as the 16's.

588 - smaller head, straighter leading edge, no grind on the sole - hasn't caused me issues with opening so far, nice feel, ball flight is a little higher than the spinners, shaft feels a little lighter than the spinners maybe, I prefer them on full swings over the CG15's, Able to keep the ball low easily. Customization adds a pretty cool element to the whole deal.

If I had to choose between the 15's and the 588's in stock form, off the rack, assuming price wasn't a factor: I'd go 588's, if even for the shaft alone.

Very informative comparison Hawk, I appreciate your feedback. For me, unfortunately price is a factor...lol... Which is why I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get the 588's when I could get two 15 or 16 wedges for the price of one 588.

If you can give them some swings, I'd recommend trying them out. For an all-around wedge, I think the CG15 is great. I had no intention of taking them from my bag, but the Morgan Cup gave me a pretty sweet opportunity to get the 588's.

I believe that my Foster wedge is becoming my favorite club in the bag. It's so versatile and dependable and most of all, it's consistent. From any lie. I think that's what makes these wedges so special. They pretty much perform from anywhere.

I believe that my Foster wedge is becoming my favorite club in the bag. It's so versatile and dependable and most of all, it's consistent. From any lie. I think that's what makes these wedges so special. They pretty much perform from anywhere.

Is that the 50* or 56*?

Is that the 50* or 56*?

It's the 50*. Eliza (the 56*) is pretty awesome too, but I'm in a zone right now with Foster. I dig it. Just as much as I assume you are digging that 50* CG15 :)

It's the 50*. Eliza (the 56*) is pretty awesome too, but I'm in a zone right now with Foster. I dig it. Just as much as I assume you are digging that 50* CG15 :)

Dude I love that club, it's my favorite in the bag right now. I will never play a set GW or AW again. If the 588's are at all like the CG15's, I can see why you like it so much. So versatile. Go 50* wedges.

Good stuff TC... do you like it more than your R11 AW? i think you had one but im not sure... i am really liking what im seeing from the 56* but i dunno if ill switch the R11 to a 50* 588. its been by far my fav club in my bag since i got the R11s. if i get new irons though id get a 50* without thinking twice.

I feel like the CG16 is the model that gets overlooked. It seems to be either CG15 or 588 lately.

Has anyone hit the CG16 and the 588? Is it worth paying the extra money for the 588?

I feel like the CG16 is the model that gets overlooked. It seems to be either CG15 or 588 lately.

Has anyone hit the CG16 and the 588? Is it worth paying the extra money for the 588?

For me, yes. I liked the 16 quite a bit, especially the added forgiveness due to the cavity. However with the stock shaft I couldn't bring the ball down as I have a pretty step swing with irons and wedges.

The 588 is a better performer in my hands in more places around the course than the 16, especially on greenside shots and out of bunkers. FWIW I hated the 15.

--
tapatalk

I am having a bit of a hard time getting use to these 588, which I find interesting since the 588 has been in my bag since my dad gave them to me a few years ago. I really like them when I hit them well, must be a confidence thing or something.

Update...way overdue update in fact.

To be quite honest, I've struggled getting used to the 588 wedges. I don't think I can blame the wedge either, it's just a matter of timing. I just seem to have developed a really bad habit of getting too much lower body movement and lifting my head up with has caused me to cast the club and I've become quite proficient at hitting balls off the hosel.

The pro I've been working with has been helping me iron out my swing issues with the short game, so I know it come around. I practice too much for it not to.

On a positive note, I think Cleveland did some great things with the finish and the laser milling on these. I feel like the finish and the milling is holding up better with the wedges than my Black Pearls did. I don't know if they changed the process or not, but it seems noticeable to me.

On some of the really good shots I've hit with these and there have been a couple, I've noticed exceptional feel, even with the heavier shafts, and the spin is great. I'm back to shredding covers.

I'll show some pictures of the ware, but quite frankly, I'm embarrassed to show I've been wearing the heel and hosel of the face more than anything...maybe I'm just saving the center of the face for the MC2.0...hehe

Back