Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

I totally understand lusting dude. I also think going with a forged wedge for yourself is a smarter idea. Make it rain and share some pictures.

As we have spoken about many times, forged wedges are just better for us man, I will for sure be changing to it.

Wow - great write up JB - I'm very excited to see this wedge in person. I am even more excited now that I read that write up- holy crap.

Amazing write up JB, I have a feeling these will be in my bag as well, they just look so good and sound like they play even better!

Nice write up JB. I can't wait to get the chance to hit these wedges. I am sure they are going to be great!

Tapatalkin

Looks much better in video than in the pictures.

Did I miss the custom portion of this wedge? The website isnt up...

Thanks for the info JB. Are you finding the shaft to be similar to the DG Spinners or are they a different beast all together?

Thanks for the info JB. Are you finding the shaft to be similar to the DG Spinners or are they a different beast all together?

They talked a little in depth about the shaft on the radio show. I find it similar to Spinner shafts but with a slightly different balance. One I really like.

Man that was a great write up jb, I listened to the show a couple of days ago and I must say, I am really looking forward to getting my hands on these! Wedge play is my absolute favorite part of the game, and to have a club that is that versatile/reliable/confidence inspiring when you need to pull that extra special shot out of the bag, and you know you can, then these are something I really cant afford to over look!

Its update time after playing 3 rounds of golf with the 588 and 3-4 range sessions, it is safe to say that as soon as I can get my hands on a set they are in my bag for a while. Multiple reasons for that really, but I want to take you on a journey I have had with my wedges first and why this release is so important to my game.

I have never been a long hitter of the golf ball. I can hit a driver out there and I am pretty straight, so for my game to be successful, I needed a short game that was better than most. I spent my early adult years playing golf and my first wedges (extended wedges past PW) that I ever purchased for myself were the original 588 wedges from Cleveland Golf. I played them for a long long time. Until the grooves were all but gone. During that time, I was taking my game quite seriously and working with a coach that convinced my I needed to make a switch to a different brand and I did and enjoyed my time with that other brand, but I always felt like I was missing something. From that point on, I was switching wedges every 12 months because I always felt as though I needed a little something more.

When I made the switch to Cleveland CG15 wedges, I felt as though they were the closest thing to my 588s I had played to date. I also felt as though they were the best wedge I had ever played. They offered everything I would want in a wedge from look, sound, feel, performance, versatility, turf interaction, etc. I played them heavily for 18 months until the grooves were worn down to almost nothing. During that time, my wedge game was also better than it has ever been. Both from working at it, to finally finding a wedge that works for me again, I was back to my old self. Then it happened. I made the mistake of trying out a friend's wedge (tour player) that was the 588 and it prompted us to write an article on the home page asking Cleveland to bring back this incredible wedge. Because while the CG15 was perfect in every way, once I made the switch to something else, I was not the same again. Until I took one swing with that 588 that day. We begged and pleaded through our article and apparently we were not alone as readers from everywhere said that they wanted them back as well.

Fast Forward a couple of months. Cleveland makes a huge announcement and shows off the new Cleveland 588 wedge. I am smiling for days on end and then low and behold, a 56* arrives at THP HQ for some early testing. After listening to the THP Radio show, I was convinced more than ever that I needed to make the switch and that was before the wedges ever arrived. Once armed with the wedge, I prepared to be dazzled. Then I go to the course and think to myself, "self, please remember its still just a wedge". With in 5 swings, it felt like the 588 never left my bag. It had all of those wonderful features I described about the CG15s that I loved, and added a few more such as PERFECT balance, the absolute perfect look at setup, a wonderful pure sound and feel and a versatility that few have.

Over the last 7 days I have put the wedge in play and each time come away more impressed than the last. From the bunker shot to with in 3 feet or the two flop shots that landed softly and led to par saves, the Cleveland 588 wedge performed as I always thought it should. Perfectly. Not a single bad shot with it over the course of play over the weekend, and that is something I cannot say about a single other club in my bag. It sparked my playing partner yesterday (forum member Yoccos), to immediately lust for them and tell me that it is "not fair" (reference to how well I hit them). The Cleveland 588 wedge became an extension of my arms. When I wanted to pull off a shot with it, I did. When I looked to be in deep trouble or out of the hole...The 588 rescued me. So much so that I played some of the best golf of my life yesterday at being -2 through 14 holes before having to stop.

There is something about the creation of this wedge that adds a dimension to my game that was not there previously. And that is "no fear". I have absolutely no fear that I can pull off any and every shot with these wedges. Will I do it every time? Probably not. But the truth is, the confidence with them is truly unique and one that I have not felt for a long time. They offer me the perfect blend of balance, versatility, performance and feel, all wrapped up in a package that includes some custom options to make them more "mine".

At this point, I sound like the late, great Billy Mays, and I promise you that is not my intent. Its a rarity that equipment gets me so excited that I look forward to changing and this is truly one of those days. Thank you 588s, you have begun and ended my wedge pondering all in one swoop and I look forward to seeing you in my bag soon.

Outstanding man. I have missed the old 588's and it looks like only a matter of time until I get them back. I enjoyed reading this

After listening to the show and perusing threads I think I know exactly what my custom wedges will be. I can't wait!

One question though, do we know what the bounce will be? Is Cleveland going with the traditional 588's lower bounce or will there be more options?

--
tapatalk

After listening to the show and perusing threads I think I know exactly what my custom wedges will be. I can't wait!

One question though, do we know what the bounce will be? Is Cleveland going with the traditional 588's lower bounce or will there be more options?

--
tapatalk

Good question SW. I'm thinking that there will be multiple bounce options like the CG15 wedges, considering that JB said in the intro video that Cleveland sent him the "2 dot" version with 14 degrees of bounce. If I try out these wedges, they will have very similar bounces to my XFT wedges right now. Back in the day, I played a 60 degree 588 RTG wedge with 3 degrees of bounce, I don't think I'd go with that anymore because bounce is my friend, especially on full swings.

Good question SW. I'm thinking that there will be multiple bounce options like the CG15 wedges, considering that JB said in the intro video that Cleveland sent him the "2 dot" version with 14 degrees of bounce. If I try out these wedges, they will have very similar bounces to my XFT wedges right now. Back in the day, I played a 60 degree 588 RTG wedge with 3 degrees of bounce, I don't think I'd go with that anymore because bounce is my friend, especially on full swings.

Good point Ary, but if I remember right the original 56* 588 had a higher bounce. I bent a 53* to 56* to add a tad of bounce and loved it. Just hope they carried over the 1,2,3 dot system over to this line too.

--
tapatalk

As we have spoken about many times, forged wedges are just better for us man, I will for sure be changing to it.

That will make 2 of us CB. I'm going to have months to drool over it though until I can use it since our golf season is about to end here. :(

Sent using Tapatalk

Those look nice a lot better than the cg16 wedges.

I still got some old 588's in my moms garage....can't wait to get my hands on the new ones.

--
tapatalk

Yes. Options will certainly be there for everybody. And then of course the custom grinds as well.

i think i am going to pick up a 54, 58. black on black in low bounce. i love my jaes, but the high bounce is killing me at times. i need lower bounce wedges as a second set!

I don't normally play wedges separate from what comes with my iron set but I can't wait to give these a try. I am so excited about the custom option.

Have you seen the beta version of the customize site yet for these wedges JB?

Sent using Tapatalk

Have you seen the beta version of the customize site yet for these wedges JB?

Sent using Tapatalk

Yes and no. I have seen many screen shots and like what I see. As well as some pictures of the finished products and it is pretty spectacular.

Dang, I saw this thread had bumped and thought the site was live. I keep having fantasies of once again pulling a 588 out of my bag.

Has any of the specs been released as far as loft and bounce options that will be available, granted via the custom site options will be virtually unlimited.

November can't come soon enough for me. Two of these will be in my bag before November is over, the only question really is, what custom options I go with through the website, and what lofts. Right now I'm really happy with the distance I am seeing from my 54* and I think thats where I want to stay with my 588 SW and then possibly a 58* or 60*. The best part for me is as a lefty, I can have these forged wedges bent to lofts that I like. Really looking forward to these.

November can't come soon enough for me. Two of these will be in my bag before November is over, the only question really is, what custom options I go with through the website, and what lofts. Right now I'm really happy with the distance I am seeing from my 54* and I think thats where I want to stay with my 588 SW and then possibly a 58* or 60*. The best part for me is as a lefty, I can have these forged wedges bent to lofts that I like. Really looking forward to these.

That sounds like a good plan breeze. I've already settled on a mid-bounce 58* and am contemplating a 52* vs 54*

Yes and no. I have seen many screen shots and like what I see. As well as some pictures of the finished products and it is pretty spectacular.

Cool, I can't wait to see what the customization sure looks like.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dang, I saw this thread had bumped and thought the site was live. I keep having fantasies of once again pulling a 588 out of my bag.

Has any of the specs been released as far as loft and bounce options that will be available, granted via the custom site options will be virtually unlimited.

I have a list and it is VERY long. Every 2 degrees from 46 to 64 with lots of different bounce options. Still using the 1, 2 or 3 dot system.
And like you said, if its not listed, custom is available.

Back