Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Those mats hide heavy contact, which is most likely why you see the different yardage.

I have been having hit or miss rounds with the 588's lately which is due to my horrid swing now. I can say that these bad boys put some serious spin in the ball and a plus for me is they haven't been ripping the face off of balls like my old CG10's did.

I was shocked to find out that my 50 degree checked more near 53. That may explain why I only get about 85 yards out of it. Going to give them more time now.

That is odd. I had mine checked before the MC and they were dead on.

Shocked me. The 54 was right on 55 and I chose to leave it alone.

And....I'm here to post my thoughts after Day 1:

Weather:
It had rained the entire day when I got there so the grass was very wet. It was very cold as well.

Impressions:
I love the look of the wedge as I step up to the ball. Very confidence-inspiring. The 2 full shots I did hit were very good. One was a 75 yard shot that I wanted to release and run out about 10 feet. It did that perfectly, I just landed it in the wrong spot. Second was a 85 yard shot I wanted to knockdown and get it stop quickly. I hit it very low and it took one bounce, stopped, and turned around as I had hoped to about 5 feet.

I will say where I felt let down/angry. Around the green, I could never get a ball to check. Ever. I would land it exactly where I wanted it too. I would hit it just crisp enough to put some spin on it. But no. It would look like it was going to stop once, then roll out at least 5 feet, if not more. It was very frustrating. Luckily, I figured this out on the chipping green, so I adjusted for it in my round. I have to say, I expected more around the green with this thing. The feel is great, but it lacks that one thing. I don't know whether it was the wet grass, the type of Grass on the Green (I played at Bentwater), or something else. I would love to hear someones thoughts about what I have said and maybe why it's doing this.

Man, I don't know, JT. For chip shots, I never plan for the ball to stop that fast. I'm always expecting some roll out. With the right ball, strike and conditions, I can get get it to stop dead with a mid-range pitch, but not from that close in.

Are the greens bentgrass? The ball won't grab as fast as it will on them as it will on bermuda from what I recall.

Man, I don't know, JT. For chip shots, I never plan for the ball to stop that fast. I'm always expecting some roll out. With the right ball, strike and conditions, I can get get it to stop dead with a mid-range pitch, but not from that close in.

Are the greens bentgrass? The ball won't grab as fast as it will on them as it will on bermuda from what I recall.

Yeah. I'm not grass expert (I probably should be though), so I don't know how the ball reacts to each. Normally, when I was playing with my CG15, I could hit greenside chips and play for it to stop. I can't do that with the 588. Everything rolls out.

EDIT: Yes, Bentwater's greens are Bentgrass.

That could be it, though it's tough to say. Could be contact too. The shape and leading edge is a little different, so maybe it will take you a little time to adjust. I think you'll get it figured out though.

That could be it, though it's tough to say. Could be contact too. The shape and leading edge is a little different, so maybe it will take you a little time to adjust. I think you'll get it figured out though.

I do hope you are correct. Except for that, I love everything about this club. Even the interaction with the turn is phenomenal.

I'll be interested to see 1) if these are an option for the 2013 MC'rs and 2) how many opt for at least one of them.

I'll be interested to see 1) if these are an option for the 2013 MC'rs and 2) how many opt for at least one of them.

I've actually grown quite fond of my 588. I have no clue what I'll do though. I'll have to try the new 588's first.

I've actually grown quite fond of my 588. I have no clue what I'll do though. I'll have to try the new 588's first.

I could see maybe putting one of them in the bag, but I could easily just put three of the originals in there. I really don't see anything different that I need from them at this point.

I could see maybe putting one of them in the bag, but I could easily just put three of the originals in there. I really don't see anything different that I need from them at this point.

I might want the have a 48* (PW) version of the RTX just for maybe some added spin. However, I'm not really sure at this point.

I might want the have a 48* (PW) version of the RTX just for maybe some added spin. However, I'm not really sure at this point.

I thought the same in the GW slot for added forgiveness, but I don't really do much with full wedge swings. I still need to hit that thing though.

Looking over the MyCustomWedge site again, does anyone have any thoughts on which custom sole grind would most closely relate to the dual sole of the SCOR wedges? I'm thinking the Front Sole, but its a bit tough to tell from the site.

I would think trailing edge, but I'm no expert.

Looking over the MyCustomWedge site again, does anyone have any thoughts on which custom sole grind would most closely relate to the dual sole of the SCOR wedges? I'm thinking the Front Sole, but its a bit tough to tell from the site.

That site is dangerous.
And fun

I am a big fan of my 58 degree satin. I am older, the tour concept shaft feels great . Can knock this one down and hit 105 yds, or stock middle ball position higher trajectory 97 yards. Also easy to dial in for 50 to 85 yard shots. In summary the 588 is one of the best out there. It looks like this one will be my new go to for 2013, have not hit any sand shots with this yet.

I'm a fan too. They are going absolutely nowhere unless my hand is forced.

I'm a fan too. They are going absolutely nowhere unless my hand is forced.

Second that, but when you read the various threads here at THP it is very obvious that all types of "hand forcing" is alive and well

Ha! Mostly saying that they'll remain my wedges unless some sort of review comes up. It's been a year now and they are the only clubs that are still in the bag, which is pretty cool to think about! Still remain in very good shape, though they have some wear. I think they are really starting to get some good character now.

When I struggle with my wedges I am always wondering if it is the weight difference between the 588's and my good old R-7s.
The 588's seem a little lighter and I need to blame something!! hahaha
I play my R-7 pitching wedge (44) about 120
got a 588 (50) hoping for 100 even but it is always short more like 90?
the 588 (56) is a great chipper/sand/pitch shot club and carries about 75
need help with my gaps or maybe time to replace the R-7's? ( i still like them though)
thoughts??

When I struggle with my wedges I am always wondering if it is the weight difference between the 588's and my good old R-7s.
The 588's seem a little lighter and I need to blame something!! hahaha
I play my R-7 pitching wedge (44) about 120
got a 588 (50) hoping for 100 even but it is always short more like 90?
the 588 (56) is a great chipper/sand/pitch shot club and carries about 75
need help with my gaps or maybe time to replace the R-7's? ( i still like them though)
thoughts??

The 588, is it the new RTX or last years? My PW distance is similar to yours and if I needed a club for 100 yards that would primarily just be used for full shots at that distance, I would look at the 588 RTX CB in either 48* or 50*.

I have last years. Are the RTX either heavier or in some way longer?
Also of note is my Clevlands' are my only forged clubs (besides my Seemore) does that change ball flight/distance?

Back