Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Forging won't have an effect.

Really, it could be a number of things. So hard to say.

I have last years. Are the RTX either heavier or in some way longer?
Also of note is my Clevlands' are my only forged clubs (besides my Seemore) does that change ball flight/distance?

The CB's which I have reviewed are definitely heavier in hand than my J40's. VERY solid wedges on full swing shots.

Cookie is pretty dead on here. I found the standard 588s from last year a little short as well, compared to my previous wedges and those I game today. However, the RTX CB is about spot on with what I expect and they are quite solid on full swings.

I had the 588s from last year & they played 10-15 yards shorter than my previous CG14s in 48 and 52 degree. I never could figure out whatbcaused the loss of yardage.

Thanks for the input - I love them I just gotta sort out my gaps - no good having 30 yds between the 44 and the 50 degree
I (like most) really prefer hitting a full swing rather than choking up, narrowing stance and shortening swing and shanking..haha

Just looked at the Cleveland web site - only difference I can see with RTX is a different mill on the face?
obviously the CB's are different but nowhere does it say the actual weight of the clubs - although swing-weights are noted

I rarely post here but have put a lot of time hitting wedges lately. Currently use CG15 with S400 shafts but they are too heavy for me. My irons are only 120 gram C-taper Stiff. I really love the forged feel of the 588 wedge. The new RTX wedge is much heavier and didn't feel nearly as solid (not interested in CB wedge). I am concerned the 52 degree didn't have enough bounce. It appeared to want to dig so I'm considering getting a 50 degree and delopfting it to increase bounce. Anyone done this? I loved the 56 2 dot wedge. The 60 deg 2 dot will need a grind thought to open up. Has anyone added a custom grind to one? I am considering a heel and toe grind for flop shops and those touch shots around the green with the heel up. Any thoughts??

It would be hard to convince me that the 588's are in any way lacking in distance. I only have the 58 degree and it is good to go for all yardages up to 95 yards and I am 67. Interesting that same club will result in different views but thats golf.

I rarely post here but have put a lot of time hitting wedges lately. Currently use CG15 with S400 shafts but they are too heavy for me. My irons are only 120 gram C-taper Stiff. I really love the forged feel of the 588 wedge. The new RTX wedge is much heavier and didn't feel nearly as solid (not interested in CB wedge). I am concerned the 52 degree didn't have enough bounce. It appeared to want to dig so I'm considering getting a 50 degree and delopfting it to increase bounce. Anyone done this? I loved the 56 2 dot wedge. The 60 deg 2 dot will need a grind thought to open up. Has anyone added a custom grind to one? I am considering a heel and toe grind for flop shops and those touch shots around the green with the heel up. Any thoughts??

I play the 2 dot wedges and have not had any issue opening it up all the way for some pretty extreme shots.

I love my Cleveland 588 60*. I get spin like no other. I really want to try the 588 RTX. Hopefully ill come across some soon

It would be hard to convince me that the 588's are in any way lacking in distance. I only have the 58 degree and it is good to go for all yardages up to 95 yards and I am 67. Interesting that same club will result in different views but thats golf.

I'm with uman, I have 50, 54 & 58* in satin and they fill my gaps quite well. 58* goes 105, 54* goes 115-120 and 50* goes 125-130. Cleveland has gone back to their roots in my opinion...

I'm with uman, I have 50, 54 & 58* in satin and they fill my gaps quite well. 58* goes 105, 54* goes 115-120 and 50* goes 125-130. Cleveland has gone back to their roots in my opinion...

I see you also play C-taper Stiff. How do the wedge shafts work compared to your C-tapers, spin wise, trajectory, tip stiffness, and feel? Do they feel light or is it a smooth transition? Also, only 8 degrees of bounce on a gap wedge seems low. Any problems with digging it? Thanks for reply.

I see you also play C-taper Stiff. How do the wedge shafts work compared to your C-tapers, spin wise, trajectory, tip stiffness, and feel? Do they feel light or is it a smooth transition? Also, only 8 degrees of bounce on a gap wedge seems low. Any problems with digging it? Thanks for reply.

No, no issues with "digging" at all. Most gap wedges carry lower bounces anyway. I get the lowest bounce I can on all my wedges because notoriously my courses are fairly tightly mowed Bermuda and I don't like a lot of bounce greenside. Otherwise, I take "normal" divots (usually about 2-3" of turf).

Regarding the wedge shafts, the Tour Concept shafts spin more (for me, which I personally prefer in wedges). They probably launch a little lower as well. Great feel and add really nice overall weight to the clubs. I tend to prefer heavier wedges. The tip is stable, I wouldn't say stiffer or softer than the C-Tapers, just stable. Very nice feedback and feel on 1/2 and 3/4 shots which is a trademark (IMO) of a well balanced club. Trajectory is great but with the added spin from the Tour Concepts you have to be mindful of playing into the wind and flight it lower or step down on club selection. I haven't had a chance to test the High-Rev from KBS but I may reshaft one of my old wedges just to see how they do vs the Tour Concepts.

Hope that helps...

Fourwiggle, are the tour concept shafts easy to flight low like the C-tapers? I love the low punch shots with the C-taper shaft.

Fourwiggle, are the tour concept shafts easy to flight low like the C-tapers? I love the low punch shots with the C-taper shaft.

Yes, well I think they are. All the DG shafts launch low for me though. I find it very easy to change the trajectory...

The C-Taper shafts don't launch that low for me. Yes, they are easily "flight-able" but they get the ball moving quickly. If I remember correctly during my fitting with a 6-iron Mizuno MP 63, the DG S300 launched at like 16* but with 800 rpm more spin and the C-Tapers launched at like 17.5*. The PX 6.0 was in the middle...

Little late the conversation, but I'm a fan of the Tour Concept as well. In fact, that's probably one of the most disappointing things about the RTX line for me. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I was bummed to see it.

I'm able to vary my trajectory surprisingly well and they feel smooth to me. The only complaint I have about them is that the cutaway is so far towards the butt end that my longer grips (Lamkin PP Wedge grips) really don't fit them well. Had to build up a bunch of tape under the end of the grips.

How is the spin on these on full shots, punch shots, and greenside chip/lob shots? How do they compare to other wedges out there. I agree on the RTX, the shaft felt heavy!

With the right ball and technique I think they spin great across the board. Can't really give you a solid comparison unfortunately.

Has anyone switched the Forged 60 to a DSG 60 for a better grind so you don't need to get a custom 60 with a heel and toe grind?

With the right ball and technique I think they spin great across the board. Can't really give you a solid comparison unfortunately.

Yes, it can be a bit subjective...

How is the spin on these on full shots, punch shots, and greenside chip/lob shots? How do they compare to other wedges out there. I agree on the RTX, the shaft felt heavy!

Spin is great. I play Pro V1x and Srixon XV and I find they spin really well. Greenside and lob shots are less shaft-dependant and mostly about the head but on 1/2, 3/4 and full shots they spin great. When you bare-down on them the action can get quite intense. Back spin ranges from "one-hop-stop" up to about 10' for me depending on conditions. Punch shots hold well and roll-out is minimal (I'd say less than 5-7').

Comparing them straight-up with the Vokeys I have, feel is better from the forging and less muted. 588s are much more active from the bunkers and tight lies. I also prefer the bounce and sole of the 588. Not that the Vokeys are bad, don't get me wrong, if the 588s weren't better they wouldn't be in my bag -- TRUST ME!! My Vokeys have PX 5.5s and I think the Tour Concept in the 588s makes the PX feel harsher...

Yes, it can be a bit subjective...

Spin is great. I play Pro V1x and Srixon XV and I find they spin really well. Greenside and lob shots are less shaft-dependant and mostly about the head but on 1/2, 3/4 and full shots they spin great. When you bare-down on them the action can get quite intense. Back spin ranges from "one-hop-stop" up to about 10' for me depending on conditions. Punch shots hold well and roll-out is minimal (I'd say less than 5-7').

Comparing them straight-up with the Vokeys I have, feel is better from the forging and less muted. 588s are much more active from the bunkers and tight lies. I also prefer the bounce and sole of the 588. Not that the Vokeys are bad, don't get me wrong, if the 588s weren't better they wouldn't be in my bag -- TRUST ME!! My Vokeys have PX 5.5s and I think the Tour Concept in the 588s makes the PX feel harsher...

Did you get a custom grind on your 58 with a toe or heel relief for around the greens? Do you feel any special grind on the wedges on flop or lob shots, I know you have been using them for awhile. Has anyone done this? I did a lot of research on the Tour Concept shaft and at 118 grams it will match up well with my 120 gram C-taper stiff (much better than 130 gram S400 shafts), plus its listed as low launch which I prefer. I know it feels amazing.

I've played the stock grind all year and haven't ever wished they had a grind. Can open them up just fine from any reasonable lie.

For you guys that can open them up fine, are you using 1 dot on your most lofted wedge?

Also, if your miss is slightly toward the heel versus toe, would you want it 1/4" longer or shorter?

Back