Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

When's your next tee time?

This Saturday, Winter permitting. I'll be in East Tennessee, golf clubs in tow. It's suppose to be Wintery so we'll see. I'll at least get them to a range if I have too. Actually, I'll play as long as it's not raining or snowing. I hit the 56* a ton last night in the basement.

Well, I'll hope for good weather to come your way then. Probably going to be too cold here this weekend, though I may head to the football field if it gets over 30.

I spent a short while indoors working with the 53 last night and I am liking it more and more for the full shots. I expect it to be my ~100 yard club or so. Still all over the heel, but I'm not quite ready to bend it yet. Another month of lessons and then I'll make the move if I'm still seeing the same thing.

Well, I'll hope for good weather to come your way then. Probably going to be too cold here this weekend, though I may head to the football field if it gets over 30.

I spent a short while indoors working with the 53 last night and I am liking it more and more for the full shots. I expect it to be my ~100 yard club or so. Still all over the heel, but I'm not quite ready to bend it yet. Another month of lessons and then I'll make the move if I'm still seeing the same thing.

I think that's smart dude. Wait until the lessons are good and underway before doing anything drastic as far as adjustments go. Dude, I love the leading edge on these. They seem to be a little sharper than the 15's.

I think that's smart dude. Wait until the lessons are good and underway before doing anything drastic as far as adjustments go. Dude, I love the leading edge on these. They seem to be a little sharper than the 15's.

I would agree. It's a hair straighter and it sets up real nice to the ball. The whole wedge has less roundness to it compared to the 15's. My first few full shots on grass were just so nice. It really cuts through the turf and I thought the ball flight was great.

I love those wedges TC! How cool to have your kid's names on there!

Very nice Yorkem. I like the simplistic look so much.

Possible skim, but did you guys put spinners in there?

I went with the stock TC's as well, and no grind.

great wedges lefties.
gotta love that sweet black pearl finish.

Taken from Cleveland's Tour Blog - http://blog.clevelandgolf.com/?p=1686#comments

588 Precision Forged Wedge: The Shape That Shaped An Industry

Readers,
Today kicks off a four week blog series that will highlight the key features and benefits of the 588 Precision Forged Wedge. The series will feature write ups covering the subjects of: Shape, Feel, Performance and the Forging Process. There will be a new post every Wednesday from now until February 22nd. Today we will focus on the shape of the wedge.

The 588 Wedge, originally introduced in 1988, has long been accepted as the industry benchmark in wedge craftsmanship. There truly has never been another wedge that has rivaled this one. A massive part of the success the 588 has had, both commercially and on tour, has come because of the shape of the wedge. Our researchers here have narrowed down the top features of the shape into five points:
Ideal Face Area – Slightly higher heel and toe sections in the 588 create a larger club face to inspire confidence, yet the wedge’s relatively compact design still maximizes playability and shot-making.
Superior “V” Sole Design – The 588 has an intermediate sole width that narrows at the heel and widens at the toe, a versatile construction that suits full fairway shots and firm turf conditions while also accommodating greenside shots from thick rough and bunkers.

More Effective Bounce – A cambered sole allows the bounce of the 588 wedge to work more effectively. The bounce progressively decreases from the leading edge to the rear of the sole, promoting smoother, more consistent turf interaction and optimal feel.

Precise Flange Size – The flange on every 588 model is crafted specifically to enhance performance. Flanges on 48- and 52-degree wedges are smaller to complement the lower bounce angle that’s ideal for full fairway shots and long pitches, while 56- and 58-degree offerings have a larger flange for optimal playability from sand and rough.
Optimal Leading Edge – The 588’s subtly rounded leading edge promotes a natural visual transition when opening the club face for high, soft shots. Plus, the leading edge is set slightly ahead of the hosel at address to enhance turf interaction out of the rough.
So what does this all mean for you as a player? It means that the shape of the 588 Precision Forged Wedge is truly about getting the job done. It means a wedge that will preform more consistently and at a higher level. It means that you are more likely to have a “watch this” moment with your buddies. Speaking of that, do you have a “watch this” moment with a 588 Wedge that you want to share with us? We would love to hear them.

Awesome Hawk. Thanks for posting this.

good stuff hawk.... these wedges are so good.

Awesome wedges Yorkem, I love how simple yet completely custom those are.

Hawk, thank you for posting that, very informational.

Awesome wedges Yorkem, I love how simple yet completely custom those are.

Hawk, thank you for posting that, very informational.

Thanks Jeff. I definitely went simple with muted colors that held meaning for me.

Maybe a skim as I check in and out of here, those that have ordered the 588's did you get them fit or just standard length?

Maybe a skim as I check in and out of here, those that have ordered the 588's did you get them fit or just standard length?

if youre talking about the custom wedges you can get them any length you want on the website up to or minus 2 inches.

if youre talking about the custom wedges you can get them any length you want on the website up to or minus 2 inches.

Not the custom, just off the shelf. I bought a 54 and 58, was wondering if its worth getting the fit to me.

I would say it would be worth having the lie correct. I know mine are too upright for me at the moment and it shows. They should be easily bendable.

I would say it would be worth having the lie correct. I know mine are too upright for me at the moment and it shows. They should be easily bendable.

Really? Why didn't you order them bent? Just curious.

Waiting a bit in case lessons change things at all. I can have them bent pretty quickly if I decide to.

Sent via Tapatalk

Waiting a bit in case lessons change things at all. I can have them bent pretty quickly if I decide to.

Sent via Tapatalk

That makes perfect sense buddy. TY

No problem.

Got the new wedge grips installed and am happy how they turned out. Ready for winter to go away so I can find a practice green.

Sent via Tapatalk

No problem.

Got the new wedge grips installed and am happy how they turned out. Ready for winter to go away so I can find a practice green.

Sent via Tapatalk

Nice bro. I need it to get a little warmer so I can start getting out after work without freezing to death.

No problem.

Sent via Tapatalk

Are those the Lamkin wedge grips that you reviewed?

TC is correct.

Sent via Tapatalk

Nice. I guess they're keepers then eh?

Absolutely.

Sent via Tapatalk

Back