Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Well, I was all set to order a customized 56 degree wedge with the heal/toe grind on it only to find out they don't ship to Canada. Even went to see a friend at the local GolfTown as he figured they might be able to order it and no such luck there either. It's a sad day and it still confuses me as to why companies come out with new products but limit who can get them. Guess they really don't want peoples money. :banghead:

Well, I was all set to order a customized 56 degree wedge with the heal/toe grind on it only to find out they don't ship to Canada. Even went to see a friend at the local GolfTown as he figured they might be able to order it and no such luck there either. It's a sad day and it still confuses me as to why companies come out with new products but limit who can get them. Guess they really don't want peoples money. :banghead:

There is always a way if you look for it. Ship it stateside then send it over.

--
tapatalk

There was no denying the playability that these give me each time out. From the bunker and the fairway, these were perfect today and have the perfect setup for me. They also have that classic and iconic sound that 588s made so famous.

I know yours are custom, but do you know how long it takes for the satin ones to get rusted? I'm seriously pondering these for next year and I would get the satin ones.

The satin ones dont rust.

They don't?? What makes that finish different than chrome then? Do any of the new ones rust?

Lack of glare.

You can order Black Pearl or Raw from the custom side of things if one wants rust.

Lack of glare.

You can order Black Pearl or Raw from the custom side of things if one wants rust.

Ok then.... thanks! I'm gonna want C-grind anyway so custom will be happening.

Lack of glare.

The black pearl rusts?

No. Black Pearl doesn't rust. I wouldn't have Black Pearl if it did.

You have no idea what a relief that is. I don't have 588's but I just got my CG15/16's and they're black pearl. I was terrified when i read JB's post. I guess i read it wrong and he was just saying that the raw will rust. I know some people like it but i despise the rust look.

You have no idea what a relief that is. I don't have 588's but I just got my CG15/16's and they're black pearl. I was terrified when i read JB's post. I guess i read it wrong and he was just saying that the raw will rust. I know some people like it but i despise the rust look.

Same here man. The Black Pearl finish will wear at impact zones but to me it looks awesome. I'll take a picture of the face of my CG 14. It's probably hit 1000 golf balls and I love how it's worn.

Same here man. The Black Pearl finish will wear at impact zones but to me it looks awesome. I'll take a picture of the face of my CG 14. It's probably hit 1000 golf balls and I love how it's worn.

Thanks TC. That's what i was expecting.

Edit: by the way, did you put the wedge grips on your 588's or were they just the standard white lamkin pp's? (I think i'm remembering correctly and you had white lamkins on them)

I havent even hit mine yet, I may hold off until I get fit than have them do whatever needs to be done. Its killing me not to hit them...

No. Black Pearl doesn't rust. I wouldn't have Black Pearl if it did.

While Black Pearl finish itself does not rust, the wear of the finish (at impact, scratches, etc) can wear down to being the raw finish and in the end rust can appear. My first set of CG15s were BP and they had some nice rust along the sole.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

Sent via Tapatalk

Did you not like the ones your ordered or did you know when you ordered you would be switching

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Did you not like the ones your ordered or did you know when you ordered you would be switching

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I was pretty set on changing them, but did want to give the others a shot first. They are the same grip that was on there, with the added length and dots added to them.

Thanks TC. That's what i was expecting.

Edit: by the way, did you put the wedge grips on your 588's or were they just the standard white lamkin pp's? (I think i'm remembering correctly and you had white lamkins on them)

I went with the white Lamkin 3Gen's.

Also, here's a picture of the face of my CG 14.

aefc994d-8b94-5795.jpg

I hit a ton of wedge shots today - On the range, the chipping green, the practice bunkers and on a pitch and putt. Love the wedges. Extremely happy that I ended up sticking the PP wedge grips on them.

I took the 57 to the practice bunker and hit about 20 balls. Good news - all of them left the bunker. Better news - all but one stayed on the green (thinned). I hit shots from farther back in the bunker and right up next to a short-sided pin. The sand was pretty much horrible, but I was happy with the results.

Chipping green - just worked on chip shots with the different wedges.

Pitch and putt - This wasn't something I expected to be able to do, but it was there and open. Shortest hole was around 40 yards and the longest around 85. Uphills and downhills mixed. I took a Z-Star XV, the 588 49°, and my putter. Could have ditched the putter since the greens were like fairways, but it was still nice to sort of putt the ball.

I took the 49° rather than all three wedges so I could work on versatility. The 49 will be my go-to wedge and I wanted to see it in action. I was happy to see that I was able to hit the ball with varying trajectories and distances easily. The beauty of the PP wedge grips is that I can choke way down on the club and take an aggressive swing to get some good spin on those shorter shots. I was tempted to do a hole by hole rundown, but instead I'll just say that I was pretty freaking impressed by what I was able to do with the 588 today.

I got to try these wedges out for the first time today... I am impressed! The stock shaft is a bit thin, but the shots all looked good, and were super smooth. These are some amazing feeling wedges.

I got to try these wedges out for the first time today... I am impressed! The stock shaft is a bit thin, but the shots all looked good, and were super smooth. These are some amazing feeling wedges.

I would agree that the shaft seems a bit thin coming from the Spinners. I'd also say that they don't feel quite as clunky as my 15's with the Spinners. Ball flight isn't much different either.

glad you got out Hawk. I'm hoping to do the same tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed. I won't lie dude, I'm terrified of getting them dirty. Is that stupid?

glad you got out Hawk. I'm hoping to do the same tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed. I won't lie dude, I'm terrified of getting them dirty. Is that stupid?

Thats the only thing holding me back from getting some of these customized. I don't even know if I'd play them. I'd almost keep them as keepsakes. I may get a 588 wedge just with no customization to play.

Thats the only thing holding me back from getting some of these customized. I don't even know if I'd play them. I'd almost keep them as keepsakes. I may get a 588 wedge just with no customization to play.

I hope you can finally get them outside. It's not stupid at all. We spent damn near a month thinking about these designs. Ifelt the same way at first, but the feeling went away real quick. I've hit a good number of balls in some rotten stuff and they clean up really well. The cool part is that most of the custom work is positioned where hitting them won't have any effect at all.

That makes sense too Hawk. I may look into getting a 49 or 50 of these.

Back