Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Good to hear Vince. After seeing great results with a wedge I usually end up getting the rest of the wedges to match too.

Just need to wait and see what degree my PW will be with my new irons in a few weeks.

Finally got the 54 and 58* 2 dot on the course yesterday. I like them, more good shots than bad and had a few deep digs. Good spin and really good spin coming out of the sand. I may grab a 50* to go with the other 2. I will get some short game practice in this week and hopefully play another round next Sunday if the weather is decent.

I'm glad you mentioned these from the sand. I had a few minutes to kill yesterday on the course waiting on a 3some in front of me to clear off the tee so I dropped a dozen balls in a greenside bunker. This was the first time I had used the new 588's from a bunker so I was a little nervous since I was playing a lighter wedge and had adjusted well to it. Much to my surprise I had zero issues, put 8/12 exactly where I wanted (inside 8') and the other 4 were on the green inside 15'.

I like how the little extra heft of the head helps the club blast through the sand while the leading edge and sole work together to prevent the blade from getting caught up and starts to dig, resulting in the dreaded heavy bunker shot. I don't have the technical description for the sole but the design on it is perfect for how I play from bunkers.

I want to become the next chip-in/hole-out club member. I was a grand total of about 12 inches away over three different chip shots while playing, but couldn't get any to drop. I do like that 57° for chips from the fringe when putting isn't a good choice. Best chip shot I had on the course with the 588's was with the 49° from in front of the green to a back pin. A real nice low runner that stopped a couple inches from the hole. I think the 2 Dot bounce is a great middle ground with the varying conditions I play.

Still lacking some touch in the 1/2 shot department, but I expect that will come as I get more time to play outdoors again. Finding myself hitting the ball a little farther than I want to on pitch shots.

The wedges are starting to lose their brand-new look with all the work and bag chatter. I guess it would be awesome if they stayed brand new forever, but they will be workhorses in the bag and I expect the way they look will reflect that.

I want to become the next chip-in/hole-out club member. I was a grand total of about 12 inches away over three different chip shots while playing, but couldn't get any to drop. I do like that 57° for chips from the fringe when putting isn't a good choice. Best chip shot I had on the course with the 588's was with the 49° from in front of the green to a back pin. A real nice low runner that stopped a couple inches from the hole. I think the 2 Dot bounce is a great middle ground with the varying conditions I play.

Still lacking some touch in the 1/2 shot department, but I expect that will come as I get more time to play outdoors again. Finding myself hitting the ball a little farther than I want to on pitch shots.

The wedges are starting to lose their brand-new look with all the work and bag chatter. I guess it would be awesome if they stayed brand new forever, but they will be workhorses in the bag and I expect the way they look will reflect that.

I bet you will be Hawk! I almost nailed two this weekend myself with the old version of the 588.

IMHO, wedges are supposed to look like crap. To me, there is not much that is more beautiful than a wedge that you can tell somebody uses a lot.

Finally got out to hit these on Saturday. Went to the range first, and then was heading to the course. The range was kind of sloppy from all of the rain we have had recently so I could not get a good feel for the turf interaction, but when you hit the sweet spot it is a beautifulf feeling. I then went to the course and was just trying different things. Hitting flops with the 56* when I would normally take the 48* and hit a pitch. All in all, I really love the feel, and can't wait to really get into my short game work with these beauties.

I just got back from Golf Galaxy and while there, I tried out the .588 wedges. I compared it to the Callaway Forged and the Titleist SM4. I currently play Titleist Vokeys, but played the .588's in high school.

Ever since they announced the 588 release, I have been excited to test them out. Since I was inside, I was really only testing the feel of the club and tried hitting as many different shots as possible. Here is kind of my mini breakdown of the 3 clubs.

Feel: Cleveland 588, Callaway Forged, Titleist SM4
The 588 and Callaway Forged were so close in feel, but I gave the edge to the 588 because of sound at impact. The SM4 feel like any other vokey I have played and was harsh feeling if a bad swing is put on the ball. Not so harsh with the other 588 and CF.

Looks: Callaway Forged, Titleist SM4, and Cleveland 588
At one time, I thought the Cleveland 588 was the most gorgeous wedge I had ever seen, but after seeing the Callaway and Titleist in person today, they both are stunning. If choose to get Callway Forged wedges, I really don't know which finish I would go with. Both finishes are very nice, but that copper finish was beautiful. Just don't know if I want to go the rusty route again (currently play Vokey Oil Cans). Cleveland is a little too busy for me, but wouldn't stop me from gaming them. Upsetting that the black nickels and RTG are not going to be in stores.

Playability/versatility: Titleist SM4, Cleveland 588, Callaway Forged
Obviously I didn't get to get outside and actually see what these things can do, but I must conclude that Titleist wins this one because they have so many different grinds and lofts available in store and without paying an extra penny to get them (Cleveland 588 RTG). Callaway really disappointed me with so few lofts. In store, there were no wedges below 52

I won't be making any decisions until I can hit these outside and get them around the greens and in the bunkers, but right now I leaning toward the Callway Forged because of price, looks, and feel.

Fed ex was apparently at my house this morning which means my other wedge finally is here can't wait to see it. ill post some pics later when i get a chance.

That's awesome bucky! If there's anything better than one 588 forged wedge, it's two or more. I am seeing some nice early success with mine, that's for sure. They really are responsive. I tell you one thing, these babies can chew up a golf ball too. I've got some sweet golf ball residue on the face of mine already. I like that.

i should just unsubscribe to this thread until the season starts...
GD winter...ruining what could be great wedge shots galore for this guy.
guess i'll just have to stick to the carpet shots for now... :beat-up:

I played 9 with these today since I'm pondering new wedges. I'll post my thoughts later.

I played 9 with these today since I'm pondering new wedges. I'll post my thoughts later.

why do you do this? you did the same thing in the Bridgestone ball testing... why not just wait till later and post your thoughts then? It seems like you are just trying to increase your post count.

I saw the widowmaker and it's brothers today. They are stunning! When I first heard of the whole custom wedges thing I was like so what. After seeing widowmaker and company today I think it's a great idea. Whether you get one or three, it's totally worth it. Not only do they look great they perform.

why do you do this? you did the same thing in the Bridgestone ball testing... why not just wait till later and post your thoughts then? It seems like you are just trying to increase your post count.

Umm... ok. I'm making it known that I am going to post the review later because I didn't have time then. The post count thing is really not super important to me. If I wanted a higher post count I'd post Welcome to THP in every single Check In Desk thread and be much more active in the off-topic threads which I rarely post in.

588 Wedges - Short Review

588 Wedges - Short Review

Yesterday, I played 9 with my buddy's old 588 sand wedge. It was a t(rusty) little wedge that got the job done around the green but I couldn't get the hang of for full swings.

Today, I played 9 with the new ones, 49* and 56*. The 49* one was great for me. It filled a distance gap at 90 yards on full swings and was very handy for 40-60 yard pitches. The spin was just superb. The Tour Zip grooves really spin the ball, combined with the ball itself having a urethane cover. They have a nice feel to them on good hits and provide good feedback on mishits, which were often today. The 56* wouldn't work for the life of me on full swings. I bladed it every time. Clubs that short just don't work for me on full swings.It was great for chipping though. It gave me nice high loft and superb spin. I even chipped one in with it! Overall, it's not my favorite wedge, but I think the MC guys will come to love it!

Umm... ok. I'm making it known that I am going to post the review later because I didn't have time then. The post count thing is really not super important to me. If I wanted a higher post count I'd post Welcome to THP in every single Check In Desk thread and be much more active in the off-topic threads which I rarely post in.

Dude, don't sweat it! He is having a bad hair day....hehe

Here's my 56* bent 1* strong with lamkin rel 3gen grip in orange. Black Pearl with checkered skin. Figured I'd get some orange since TC won't be gaming any of the Amp Line this season.
a6937b13-49ed-64ec.jpg

That is a badass wedge! That's the first one with a skin that I really like (would consider buying too), and the orange/white really pops.

Back