Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

2 dot 58° that is bent down to 57°.

Came from CG15's prior and never noticed a decrease in performance in that regard. Your results may vary of course. After the last year with these wedges, I'm not a huge believer in grinds - at least for my needs. I see a pretty big variety in conditions here depending on the season, so 2-dot is a good middle ground.

Did you get a custom grind on your 58 with a toe or heel relief for around the greens? Do you feel any special grind on the wedges on flop or lob shots, I know you have been using them for awhile. Has anyone done this? I did a lot of research on the Tour Concept shaft and at 118 grams it will match up well with my 120 gram C-taper stiff (much better than 130 gram S400 shafts), plus its listed as low launch which I prefer. I know it feels amazing.

Lots of ???s there GED, lets see if we can answer them.

No custom grind on mine, just plain ole stock. I really don't feel a custom grind is necessary to be honest (unless you've been specifically fitted). The clubs fit well for me right off the shelf. Yes, weighting matches VERY well to the C-Tapers, that's the main reason I switched from Vokeys and discovered residual benefits post purchase. Yes, they are low launch but I do get more spin, so it's a bit of an offset. Feel from the forging is stellar. Much softer ("buttery" and I hate that term, like Mizuno) and much more of a pure feeling on strikes than the Vokeys, in my opinion.

For you guys that can open them up fine, are you using 1 dot on your most lofted wedge?

Actually mine are 50* 2-dot, 54* & 58* 1-dot. I don't use the 50* as much around the greens, it's truly there to fill a gap and I wanted its bounce to match my Mizuno. So yes, 1-dot most lofted wedge. Works wonderfully on tight lies opened up.

Also, if your miss is slightly toward the heel versus toe, would you want it 1/4" longer or shorter?

No and No! I usually choke my wedges slightly anyway and it's the only club(s) I feel comfortable doing so consistently. I have three wraps under the grips and I like knowing I'm playing a feel shot with a club(s) that rewards a well struck ball. I suppose my slight misses are toward the toe but I think that's more about lie than length. I'm 2* upright in all but my wedges and I play them standard (or 2* flat for me). I do this because a lot of times my hand positions put me in a flatter stance than a normal approach shot.

Lots of ???s there GED, lets see if we can answer them.

No custom grind on mine, just plain ole stock. I really don't feel a custom grind is necessary to be honest (unless you've been specifically fitted). The clubs fit well for me right off the shelf. Yes, weighting matches VERY well to the C-Tapers, that's the main reason I switched from Vokeys and discovered residual benefits post purchase. Yes, they are low launch but I do get more spin, so it's a bit of an offset. Feel from the forging is stellar. Much softer ("buttery" and I hate that term, like Mizuno) and much more of a pure feeling on strikes than the Vokeys, in my opinion.

Actually mine are 50* 2-dot, 54* & 58* 1-dot. I don't use the 50* as much around the greens, it's truly there to fill a gap and I wanted its bounce to match my Mizuno. So yes, 1-dot most lofted wedge. Works wonderfully on tight lies opened up.

No and No! I usually choke my wedges slightly anyway and it's the only club(s) I feel comfortable doing so consistently. I have three wraps under the grips and I like knowing I'm playing a feel shot with a club(s) that rewards a well struck ball. I suppose my slight misses are toward the toe but I think that's more about lie than length. I'm 2* upright in all but my wedges and I play them standard (or 2* flat for me). I do this because a lot of times my hand positions put me in a flatter stance than a normal approach shot.

Thanks. I am going this am to buy these, perhaps order them.

Thanks. I am going this am to buy these, perhaps order them.

Two things to make sure of:

1. Lofts - make sure you cover your gaps
2. Bounce - make sure you get what you feel you need. A lot of players need the extra bounce for the assist but with your handicap, I'd go with a 1-dot unless you specifically need a bunker-chunker or something of the like...

You won't be disappointed!!

Two things to make sure of:

1. Lofts - make sure you cover your gaps
2. Bounce - make sure you get what you feel you need. A lot of players need the extra bounce for the assist but with your handicap, I'd go with a 1-dot unless you specifically need a bunker-chunker or something of the like...

You won't be disappointed!!

So after a thorough fitting I have decided to keep my CG15 with S400 shafts. I kept the 52.10, but took my 56.14 and did a back sole custom grind, then took my 60.10 and did a heel and back sole grind as well. Essentially, removing the bounce on the latter two. I tried the Tour Concept shaft but it was too weak and ended up hitting some more left and longer (almost fliers with the forged 588 heads). I did like the KBS Hi-Rev shafts with the RTX head but I could be more aggressive and preferred the weight and results I got with the S400 in the CG15s. With that said, I can use my current wedges until next winter for tournament golf. Thank for your help! I will say its really important to get a good fitter and use tape on the heel to look at impact on both full and punch shots to make sure you are hitting the middle of the sole versus the back. Electrical tape works better because its tougher.

Wanted to give this one a bump & see if anyone had any updated thoughts on the 588 RTGs? Any wear or rusting concerns you didn't expect now that they may have sat over winter.

Just bought a 64° 588 forged in chrome off of budget golf for seventy bucks with that April coupon code. Stoked to start using it, but a little worried about the loft. Cannot wait to get my hands on this and use it on my golf trip out in Myrtle Beach next week!

Over a year later and these are still going strong. They remain the backbone of my bag and really just my game in general. Definitely have a comfort level with them that nothing else comes close to at the moment.

The satin finish is getting this nice off-color wear mark right on the middle of the bottom of the sole and they certainly have the look of wedges that have been used often. Great set and part of me wonders if I'll even bother replacing them next year. Will see how they handle another season before making that call, but from a performance standpoint I see no reason to switch.

Nice Hawk,
Never done it, but can't these (or any other club) just be sharpened?
I have seen that you can buy those little tools to do it.??

I actually have a tool for that, but I'm reluctant to use if for some reason.

would love more info on this idea- will do a bit of research - Heck my grooves don't need to be "legal" anyway :sinister:

While I pondered moving away from these wedges they are just too solid for me to part with. Was hitting my 50* and 54* on full swingers very solid today after a small tweek with my stance. The around he greens game is still messy, but working on it.

I love these things. Last weekend gave me a mixture of sand, super tight lies, soaking wet lies, nasty thick rough, 'native grass', etc, and I was getting some excellent results. Sand game needs a little work, but since I quit my club I haven't had easy access to a bunker. Still, played them fine all things considered, including a nice little sand save from a short sided lie.

I'm going to buy another set when they are done for. My though process now is will they last three years? Any reason they wouldn't? They are still producing great spin for me and the grooves seem ok to me.

Really liking mine too - use the 56 in the sand all the time - 2 dot with good results

I got a 50 and 56 in satin and a 60 in black nickel and absolutely love these wedges. Great look. Excellent feel. Very consistent. I feel like I can hit any shot with these clubs. I use the 60 out of the bunkers. I am really impressed by the spin I get from these wedges. When I really go after a bunker shot I can throw it behind the pin and rip it back. I expect a lot from my short game and these wedges have really complemented my game and I highly recommend them.

Back