Cleveland Black Driver - Everything You Wanted to Know

It's a beautiful driver for sure! I have a sometimes quick transition that leaves the ball out to the right if my tempo is sucking. The last thing I need is a missile launcher that blows the tee shot high & right. Hey I am a big Cleveland fan but I am looking forward to something with adjustable features and weights in their upcoming products.

Freddie: can you say yet whether this will knock the R9 out of your bag? Obviously, I know that you may need more time to make a decision but are you seriously considering it?

I know it will for w.e. as soon as it is released and I think it may have already for JB as well (if it has not yet, I think it will soon based on the feedback thus far).

If you have me a choice I would pick the R9 only because that one or two high right misses would be huge. I'm with TC, there are times that i am just feeling it and want to throttle my driver.
Could this club possibly afford me this option, I don't know. It would take hours of testing to see the limitations of the driver. Based on one session I would not switch.
This in no way diminishes the quality of the club. I will recommend it too may people. I would also like to have this driver for long term testing to see its over all performance

If you have me a choice I would pick the R9 only because that one or two high right misses would be huge. I'm with TC, there are times that i am just feeling it and want to throttle my driver.
Could this club possibly afford me this option, I don't know. It would take hours of testing to see the limitations of the driver. Based on one session I would not switch.
This in no way diminishes the quality of the club. I will recommend it too may people. I would also like to have this driver for long term testing to see its over all performance

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the detailed response!

Tappin' from the iPhone!

For a 90 swing speed/ smooth tempo guy like myself I am thinking this driver will be heavan sent...I hope I can find a way to try one out.

Hope to get this one out this week for 2 more rounds and then a full review will be up on the home page.

Right at 3 weeks until release day for the Black Driver. Looking forward to the full review JB.

looking forward to this full write up. This driver will be a game changer in the right hands, Cleveland put together some interesting technology in getting this club out to the masses.
Hope to get this one out this week for 2 more rounds and then a full review will be up on the home page.

Thanks for the info Tadashi! I think there are a lot of people who are going to be able to get a lot of benefit from this driver! JB I am excited to read your review.

For a 90 swing speed/ smooth tempo guy like myself I am thinking this driver will be heavan sent...I hope I can find a way to try one out.

I am with you Masonicus, 92-95 SS and fairly smooth tempo, I am intrigued by this one.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this one JB, it seems to be right in the zone for many of us here on THP.

I am with you Masonicus, 92-95 SS and fairly smooth tempo, I am intrigued by this one.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this one JB, it seems to be right in the zone for many of us here on THP.
yes! I really can't wait to hit this driver.

how is this driver compared to the Burner line? how big is the sweet spot?

yes! I really can't wait to hit this driver.

how is this driver compared to the Burner line? how big is the sweet spot?

Its a very different driver. Yes longer and lighter is similar, but if you listen to the show listed in the first post, he dives into what the Black line is all about.

Its a very different driver. Yes longer and lighter is similar, but if you listen to the show listed in the first post, he dives into what the Black line is all about.
I guess I will have to RE listen. LoL

This sounds great too. AHHHHHHHH
finally was able to watch the vid with sound. but yeah! that's a great sounding driver.

Would choking down an inch on this driver have the same effect as cutting it down an inch?

Would choking down an inch on this driver have the same effect as cutting it down an inch?

In theory, if your goal is shaft length, then yes it would. It would not be as exact, but it would not alter club either.

Hope we are still looking at an 11/15 release date on this. After my recent rounds; I can't wait to try his out - sounds like it will fit me perfectly. Hit a drive today as well as I could and only saw 250 out of it....really hope I see the distance gains the others have!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Hope we are still looking at an 11/15 release date on this. After my recent rounds; I can't wait to try his out - sounds like it will fit me perfectly. Hit a drive today as well as I could and only saw 250 out of it....really hope I see the distance gains the others have!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

That is pretty much the distance I am seeing as well Cookie. I don't know what happened as I was hitting the ball pretty good in the beginning of the year

Right now Id be very happy with either one of your guys 250 off the tee. Im not sure this or any other driver can help at this point but I sure am open to something new.

I'd take 250 as well. I'm wondering if this one could get me there or maybe even a little bit more.

Right now Id be very happy with either one of your guys 250 off the tee. Im not sure this or any other driver can help at this point but I sure am open to something new.

I'd take 250 as well. I'm wondering if this one could get me there or maybe even a little bit more.

Well, that is 250 if I hit it perfectly without much rollout. On average, I am seeing more like 230 and for some reason I can hit my 3 wood just as far as my driver. Pretty sad actually.

Hoping that the Cleveland Black will get me consistently closer to 245-250 with maybe the occasional 265 if I absolutely hit it perfectly.

Boys, I will tell you this...add 20 yards at least to what ever you are hitting your driver. If you have the swing for this club that is what you will get, at a minimum. Granted the club aint for everyone but thsoe that will be able to hit will see some drastic improvement. I don't think I can say that about any other driver setup on the market or soon to be on the market
Well, that is 250 if I hit it perfectly without much rollout. On average, I am seeing more like 230 and for some reason I can hit my 3 wood just as far as my driver. Pretty sad actually.

Hoping that the Cleveland Black will get me consistently closer to 245-250 with maybe the occasional 265 if I absolutely hit it perfectly.

Boys, I will tell you this...add 20 yards at least to what ever you are hitting your driver. If you have the swing for this club that is what you will get, at a minimum. Granted the club aint for everyone but thsoe that will be able to hit will see some drastic improvement. I don't think I can say that about any other driver setup on the market or soon to be on the market

tough to argue with 20 more yards

That is pretty much the distance I am seeing as well Cookie. I don't know what happened as I was hitting the ball pretty good in the beginning of the year

boys better man up and hit the ball

It's pretty much right in my wheelhouse, especially now that I've slowed down my tempo so much in the last two months. Could be a match made in heaven!

I would not typically make a statement like that but I feel that strongly about the club. I was hitting water range balls that you tend to lose 20 - 30% in distance. I am sure they were carrying at least 250. I will test this for sure in the coming weeks with a live ball and let you know the results.
tough to argue with 20 more yards

Back