Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges

Really like what Cleveland is doing with this line. Seems like the GW lofts would marry up perfectly with a cavity back iron set that ends with PW. The person not wanting to go into a blade GW for forgiveness purposes would seemingly find a good fit here. From all the feedback I have read, the benefits do not end there with the versatility of these wedges throughout the loft range.
My new set of JPX Hot Metal Pro's were ordered with the matching GW and I love it. I too like having that as an option before stepping into the blade wedges. Kind of gives me a sense of security I guess, although it does seem rather large in hand when compared to my Vokey SM7's.

I have always liked Cleveland wedges.
In the nineties, they had three lines...the squarish shaped 485 line, the classic tear drop shaped 588 line, and the ovalish 691 line.

By this time, we'd already seen the set-matching pitching wedge go from 52º to 50º and then to 48º.

Since drug use was down from the 60s-80s era, we didn't yet envision the 38º pitching wedge, but that's an issue for a different thread.

Anyway, I bought a Titleist DCI 962 iron set (with 48º PW).

[There was also a cosmetically similar DCI Oversize+ Black set, and the 2-iron from that made an excellent driving iron to go with DCI 962 set.]

The Cleveland Model 588 53º wedge and the Cleveland Model 691 58º wedge could, for me, at least, not have fit more perfectly as complements to that set.

I don't what it is with Cleveland wedges, but in any era, they always seem to match up well with numbered iron offerings from other clubmakers.

Just received an email from Cleveland which looks like a new wedge - 56 / 10 to be anounced tomorrow, but only has CBX written on it. Wonder what this could be?
Full info here on THP tomorrow. :censored::censored::censored:

Too late. I just ordered a RTX4 from Budget.

Entirely different beasts from CBX, but def excellent wedges.
Ahh well see I am not paying attention dang it.

Just received an email from Cleveland which looks like a new wedge - 56 / 10 to be anounced tomorrow, but only has CBX written on it. Wonder what this could be?
Its out on their website the full face versions of the CBX wedges
df208aa10a40faeeac08c278f10bb941.jpg
efd89476cc11c41e346d418a795b6023.jpg

Cbx2 is on its last legs. It's way easy to launch, maybe too easy with my swing.

Bent it to 48*. Still initially gapping 20 yards short of my 46* PW.
Even at 48* it flights closer to my 56* MD5 on full swings. Not sure if it's purely the head or the shaft as well.

i still really like it for half swings and pitches, but can't leave a gap like that.

Last edited:
Cbx2 is on its last legs. It's way easy to launch, maybe too easy with my swing.

Even at 48* it flights closer to my 56* on full swings. Not sure if it's purely the head or the shaft as well.

i still really like it for half swings and pitches, but can't leave a gap like that.

Hmmm. I had the exact opposite result. I carry my 52 120 yards easy and the 56 close to 100 yards. If anything, they might cause gapping issues because they go too far. Do you have the stock shaft in them?

Hmmm. I had the exact opposite result. I carry my 52 120 yards easy and the 56 close to 100 yards. If anything, they might cause gapping issues because they go too far. Do you have the stock shaft in them?
Yup

As a high capper, am I better off with the CBX, CBX2 or Smart Sole S for bunkers?

As a high capper, am I better off with the CBX, CBX2 or Smart Sole S for bunkers?
Depends on what you want to use the wedges for. The Smart Sole is mega helpful but not as versatile. CBX and CBX can do pretty much everything an MB wedge can, but are just silly easy to hit.

Purely for bunkers, it’s SS and not close. I say that having all three SW’s of those in hand.

It is still playable elsewhere, but there is a lot of sole and junk in the trunk to it so practice is key.

But for a bunker or thick rough specific club, SS all damn day.

Even at 48* it flights closer to my 56* MD5 on full swings. Not sure if it's purely the head or the shaft as well.

Something else is afoot there. That doesn’t make sense based on everything I’ve seen.

Granted, post review I immediately changed shafts as the stock isn’t a good fit profile for me, so might be a cheap experiment to think about.

Something else is afoot there. That doesn’t make sense based on everything I’ve seen.

Granted, post review I immediately changed shafts as the stock isn’t a good fit profile for me, so might be a cheap experiment to think about.

Yeah I dunno. I've always thought the stock shaft felt pretty light. Brief research says it's basically the same as the stock shaft in the MD5 though. ?‍♂️ need to experiment

IMG_20200125_083303.jpg

Great, Jman. Also, it doesn't look like a big difference between the SS S 3.0 vs the 4.0. Maybe, a good opportunity to get a deal on the 3.0.

Im going to have to go lead tape heavy on this guy. I swapped for a KBS tour shaft but still feels light.

Im going to have to go lead tape heavy on this guy. I swapped for a KBS tour shaft but still feels light.
That’s wild. I’m a D5 guy and had no issues hitting weight without lead.

That’s wild. I’m a D5 guy and had no issues hitting weight without lead.

How much shaft tip weight do you have installed? I got the kbs shafted at a local shop but they say they couldnt get more than D3.

It just feels so weirdly light to me. And light as in swingweight not overall weight

How much shaft tip weight do you have installed? I got the kbs shafted at a local shop but they say they couldnt get more than D3.

It just feels so weirdly light to me. And light as in swingweight not overall weight
None

First league tournament of the season and the first time out for my 54° & 58° CBX2 wedges.

58° did the lions share of the work pitching/chipping most of the day. I threw a dart with the 54° off the tee on an 85 yard island par 3 that landed within 18".

Great wedges, super easy and confidence inspiring. Easily the best golf purchase I've made in awhile.

First league tournament of the season and the first time out for my 54° & 58° CBX2 wedges.

58° did the lions share of the work pitching/chipping most of the day. I threw a dart with the 54° off the tee on an 85 yard island par 3 that landed within 18".

Great wedges, super easy and confidence inspiring. Easily the best golf purchase I've made in awhile.
They are very easy to hit and forgiving. I do love mine.

I don't get the full face wedges who ever is making them. Probably in the minority because I'm sure they will sell.

Back