Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges

Long version.....just ordered the mavrik irons in 4-PW. The "PW" is 41* but I cant complain as my height and spin were plenty good for a PW...just more distance. I chose to not get the set A wedge as I plan on going 46* and 52* in the CBX line. I'm probably staying with my RTX style 56* but I loved the original CBX on full shots. Easily the best full swing wedges I have ever hit. I KNOW I love the original CBX for those full shots. Do most seem to think these are atleast as good on the full shots as the OG were/

To me they feel better on the originals and play just as well

I may trade in my RTX4 56 on a CBX2 54.

Liked the 54 & 58 CBX2 so much I picked up a 50 CBX (got it for cheap as they have dropped in price since Gen 2 came out and same sole so I figured not much difference for full swings as it’s the same sole on Gen 1 and 2 in the lower lofts).

Still winter here in Michigan so I have only hit them off mats so far. But they really set up nice, feel excellent with ball flight and distances I want as compared to my Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth.

Just ordered Forged Tecs today, GW included at 49 degrees. Now trying to figure out how to fit at least 1, if not 2 of these, to fill out the rest of the bag. Just read the whole thread and having some issues deciding. I currently have a 52 & 58 glide 2 stealth. Wedges are not my strong suit at all, and the 52 does everything from full shot (I am a sweeper, so I launch it high, so maybe 85-90 yards tops) to most of my greenside chips and pitches and runs. The 58 is primarily for fluffy lies in the rough and bunkers shots. With the different grinds, trying to decide where I should go in loft with these. If I am going to be taking full swings with my lower lofted one, feel like I need to get the 52 to get the V sole. Just worried how that will hold up around the green in either tight or fluffy lies (the grass here in the Northeast on the courses I play can vary wildly every 5 feet). Then I am torn between the 56 or 58 for what would be my highest lofted wedge. The 56 seems like it would be better for the S grind, but worried if that's enough loft for when I need to clear a bunker or hit a flop.

Or the back of my mind is just telling me go 50/54/58 and ditch the GW with the Forged Tecs. Decisions...

Awesome review on these. I upgraded my 58 to the cbx2 from the cbx, now this year gotta upgrade my 50 and 54 as well, possibly my pw too.
My Cbx's were like gaining a club compared to my old set. There wasn't a comparison. And I really do love my 58 cbx2, so the upgrade is really a no-brainer.

Just ordered Forged Tecs today, GW included at 49 degrees. Now trying to figure out how to fit at least 1, if not 2 of these, to fill out the rest of the bag. Just read the whole thread and having some issues deciding. I currently have a 52 & 58 glide 2 stealth. Wedges are not my strong suit at all, and the 52 does everything from full shot (I am a sweeper, so I launch it high, so maybe 85-90 yards tops) to most of my greenside chips and pitches and runs. The 58 is primarily for fluffy lies in the rough and bunkers shots. With the different grinds, trying to decide where I should go in loft with these. If I am going to be taking full swings with my lower lofted one, feel like I need to get the 52 to get the V sole. Just worried how that will hold up around the green in either tight or fluffy lies (the grass here in the Northeast on the courses I play can vary wildly every 5 feet). Then I am torn between the 56 or 58 for what would be my highest lofted wedge. The 56 seems like it would be better for the S grind, but worried if that's enough loft for when I need to clear a bunker or hit a flop.

Or the back of my mind is just telling me go 50/54/58 and ditch the GW with the Forged Tecs. Decisions...
Keep the GW and get the 54 and also keep the 58 or go to 60.

Awesome review on these. I upgraded my 58 to the cbx2 from the cbx, now this year gotta upgrade my 50 and 54 as well, possibly my pw too.
My Cbx's were like gaining a club compared to my old set. There wasn't a comparison. And I really do love my 58 cbx2, so the upgrade is really a no-brainer.

Agreed - Great review - impressive testing numbers.

I'm seriously pondering the 54 and 58 in graphite shafts to go with my Ping G700's.

I think reviews like these will get the information on these wedges to the masses. The TXG guys seem to have a respectEd following and they have shown proper love to these.

My new love :love:for the new CBX2 54* has influenced me to purchase a 58* to battle for that spot in my bag.:rolleyes:

Pretty effing cool that the 60* gave him the highest spin rates ever! These wedges will be in my bag at some point.

Got to see these tonight for the first time and wow they look like a normal type wedge in the setup position. Well done Cleveland. All the ponders.

I mean, I didn’t think this review was bad....

I read it, which gave me the impetus to try them. Glad I did. "Set" wedges do not have aggressive grooves...and watching your ball roll 15 feet past the hole after a good shot is...discouraging. It's nice to have a more forgiving wedge with aggressive grooves. I practice my short game a lot as I don't hit a lot of greens so aggressive grooves allows me to be aggressive around the greens.

Got to see these tonight for the first time and wow they look like a normal type wedge in the setup position. Well done Cleveland. All the ponders.
Hmm, it’s almost like that was screamed from the mountaintops previously ;)

Finally got around to ordering the 56*, getting it bumped to 55*, with a Recoil 95 shaft, and will order the 50* soon. Probably going with an RTX4 for the 60*, although the CBX Full Face is a maybe in that position too.

How does the size of the head (not the sole) compare to an RTX 4? I've never bothered to look at one in person, but I think it could benefit my wife. She has a mental thing about the size though. The look of mine give her more confidence than the rtx 3 CBs I gave her, even though mine aren't near as forgiving, because the heads are bigger than her wedges leading up to them. I *think* she thinks that since they're bigger they won't cut through the grass as well or something. Everything says they made the CBX2 a little smaller than the original CBXs though, which were close-ish to the rtx3 CBs in size. It's really hard to get a feel for it from video reviews. They're constantly obsessing about the soles. I don't care about the soles. She can't see the soles! lol Anyone have any feedback on this they can throw my way? Thanks.

Hmm, it’s almost like that was screamed from the mountaintops previously ;)
Didn’t realize you knew anything about these wedges. Maybe you should review them and write an article or something. :unsure:

Messing aside, my typical bias for certain wedges/designs has me a bit closed minded in the category. Shame on me and as you’ve said, the aesthetics have made leaps from the prior model. Nice touch that the S400 TI can be added to these without an up charge. I think I may invest in a gap wedge to try one out.

These or Smart Sole 2's. these or Smart Sole 2's

Didn’t realize you knew anything about these wedges. Maybe you should review them and write an article or something. :unsure:

Messing aside, my typical bias for certain wedges/designs has me a bit closed minded in the category. Shame on me and as you’ve said, the aesthetics have made leaps from the prior model. Nice touch that the S400 TI can be added to these without an up charge. I think I may invest in a gap wedge to try one out.
I think nowadays unless there is a video it’s chopped liver...
;)

Back