Cleveland CBX2 - A High Capper's Review

JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
IMG_1037.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of a THP giveaway last week. The only request in return was that I post a review of the club. This all came about in part because I recently posted about some wedges I'd purchased from GolfWorks. Long story short, that order was finally delivered after parts were initially on backorder. This is an important part of the review because one of the clubs was a 60° lob wedge with which I've been practicing all weekend.

This afternoon I received the Cleveland CBX2 60°/10° wedge. The intent was to wait until a practice facility was open - one with rough, fairway, sand and hard pan surface to hit from. But one will not be available for a month or longer. Since we've had enough warm weather to melt some of the snow, I instead took it to the field to try it out.

A couple things worth noting. As I talk about probably more than I should, I'm not a very good player and am particularly poor with a 60° wedge in my hands. In addition, it's in my nature to question marketing claims. As a result, I have some opinions regarding OEM equipment and just how much their latest releases can help a player of my ability. The thought did cross my mind that even if legitimate, the technology would be wasted on someone like me. But I was given a gift and simply asked to give this club an honest review. In the end, that's what mattered the most. So the plan was to give it an honest assessment and if the club did not perform, be truthful about it and maybe re-gift it to another THPer.

IMG_1039.jpg

Testing
The first test for the club tonight would be chipping. This is going to sound very redneck, but all week I've been using two wood piles and the space between them to practice chip shots. In part because it provides a real-world test of loft and roll out, and in part because it had been the only place in my yard free of snow. The goal is to chip it high enough to get over the first pile without it reaching the second pile some 15-20 behind it. As a benchmark, the best I've been able to do with my other lob wedges is about 50%.

On the first attempt, I hit a little thin and the shot failed to carry the first 4' pile. But after that, I was successful on 5 in a row. This got my attention as something just felt different. Up to this point, I believed a 60° wedge would only be useful for short-sided chips or popping a ball over greenside bunker. But that opinion was about to change with my next test.

I collected a dozen or so golf balls, picked a target of thawed ground about a third of the area of a small green. I then went out about 60 yards and started taking 3/4 swings to the target. Of all the things I do poorly at this game, distance control from <100 is as close to a strength as I have (which isn't saying much). But there's no way in the world I'd choose a lob wedge when I have a perfectly good 56° or 49° wedge in the bag. That was before the first three shots with this wedge landed within 5 yards of one another. The next several shots were mixes a bit too high, a bit too low, some decent... BUT... all were online.

Just for grins, I moved up to within 20 yards of the target and tried my version of a flop shot. While I absolutely cannot execute this shot, I opened up the face, took several nearly full swings and was fairly happy with the results.

For the next test, I brought my other 60° wedges out and took turns hitting to that same target some 60 yards away. I'm not going to lie, things went downhill at that point - even with the new Cleveland. Of the three, the Maltby I just built performed the worst - which is very disappointing. Even the old Orlimar did better. After struggling with all three, I finally left the two other wedges in the bag and was soon hitting decent 3/4 approach shots with the CBX2 once again.

IMG_1045.jpg

Conclusion
Is one evening of hitting from soft, matted-down winter grass enough of a sample size to develop an objective review? Not entirely. I still have to take this club out on the course and play several actual rounds of golf from all the different crappy lies my approach game provides. But there is something very, very good about this wedge. While there were a couple of ugly shots, the Cleveland is simply a better fit of a 60° wedge than my other ones. Maybe it's the grind, or the 10° of bounce. Maybe it's the TT 115g Dynamic Gold shaft, or the weight distribution, or the "Feel Balancing Technology" stamped on the club head. I don't know why it feels better or why I hit better shots with it and honestly, I may never know.

While I might not be ready to drink the golf marketing Kool-Aid yet, I was wrong about equipment not making much of a difference for a high capper. Tonight's two hour workout opened my mind a bit - at least to the possibility that certain clubs and certain tech fit certain swings.

Nice write up. Opening my mind to tech really changed the way I view and understand the game.

Great write-up.

Good review. I've been playing both a 50* and 54* CBX wedges for a couple of years and they are indeed very forgiving. I play to a 5 hdcp, and don't really need help getting the ball high and spinning. While they bother me at times with an inability to flight full shots down, the forgiveness on thin hits or impact nearer the heel and toe is truly amazing compared to traditional blade style wedges. You simply finish near target more than any wedges I've tried. If anyone struggles with hitting high and soft wedge shots with lots of spin the CBX line of wedges is almost like magic.

Awesome, awesome write up. I love it when people practice their wedges in their yard at home - between chips, 20 yards shots, and 60 yards shots, you pretty much gave that thing a full workout. And, nothing wrong with evaluating wedges on nasty sloppy matted down lies. If performance and comfort in adverse conditions is there with a wedge, that speaks volumes.

Gllad you are enjoying the CBX2... I still ponder one quite a bit in 50*.

Nice write up. I like the honesty and skepticism turned "maybe there's something to this afterall...":D

I've got one I just picked up in 52*... I think it's awesome and the more I use it the more I like it.

Nice review! I have the CBX2 in 50* and 55*, and have complete confidence in using them for full swings, partial swings, and most anything around the green.

Thanks for the review, looking forward to following along! I'm a high capper as well and looking to switch my gap and sand wedges to a CB wedge for added forgiveness. Very excited to hear how this goes for you.

View attachment 8997115

I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of a THP giveaway last week. The only request in return was that I post a review of the club. This all came about in part because I recently posted about some wedges I'd purchased from GolfWorks. Long story short, that order was finally delivered after parts were initially on backorder. This is an important part of the review because one of the clubs was a 60° lob wedge with which I've been practicing all weekend.

This afternoon I received the Cleveland CBX2 60°/10° wedge. The intent was to wait until a practice facility was open - one with rough, fairway, sand and hard pan surface to hit from. But one will not be available for a month or longer. Since we've had enough warm weather to melt some of the snow, I instead took it to the field to try it out.

A couple things worth noting. As I talk about probably more than I should, I'm not a very good player and am particularly poor with a 60° wedge in my hands. In addition, it's in my nature to question marketing claims. As a result, I have some opinions regarding OEM equipment and just how much their latest releases can help a player of my ability. The thought did cross my mind that even if legitimate, the technology would be wasted on someone like me. But I was given a gift and simply asked to give this club an honest review. In the end, that's what mattered the most. So the plan was to give it an honest assessment and if the club did not perform, be truthful about it and maybe re-gift it to another THPer.

View attachment 8997116

Testing
The first test for the club tonight would be chipping. This is going to sound very redneck, but all week I've been using two wood piles and the space between them to practice chip shots. In part because it provides a real-world test of loft and roll out, and in part because it had been the only place in my yard free of snow. The goal is to chip it high enough to get over the first pile without it reaching the second pile some 15-20 behind it. As a benchmark, the best I've been able to do with my other lob wedges is about 50%.

On the first attempt, I hit a little thin and the shot failed to carry the first 4' pile. But after that, I was successful on 5 in a row. This got my attention as something just felt different. Up to this point, I believed a 60° wedge would only be useful for short-sided chips or popping a ball over greenside bunker. But that opinion was about to change with my next test.

I collected a dozen or so golf balls, picked a target of thawed ground about a third of the area of a small green. I then went out about 60 yards and started taking 3/4 swings to the target. Of all the things I do poorly at this game, distance control from <100 is as close to a strength as I have (which isn't saying much). But there's no way in the world I'd choose a lob wedge when I have a perfectly good 56° or 49° wedge in the bag. That was before the first three shots with this wedge landed within 5 yards of one another. The next several shots were mixes a bit too high, a bit too low, some decent... BUT... all were online.

Just for grins, I moved up to within 20 yards of the target and tried my version of a flop shot. While I absolutely cannot execute this shot, I opened up the face, took several nearly full swings and was fairly happy with the results.

For the next test, I brought my other 60° wedges out and took turns hitting to that same target some 60 yards away. I'm not going to lie, things went downhill at that point - even with the new Cleveland. Of the three, the Maltby I just built performed the worst - which is very disappointing. Even the old Orlimar did better. After struggling with all three, I finally left the two other wedges in the bag and was soon hitting decent 3/4 approach shots with the CBX2 once again.

View attachment 8997117

Conclusion
Is one evening of hitting from soft, matted-down winter grass enough of a sample size to develop an objective review? Not entirely. I still have to take this club out on the course and play several actual rounds of golf from all the different crappy lies my approach game provides. But there is something very, very good about this wedge. While there were a couple of ugly shots, the Cleveland is simply a better fit of a 60° wedge than my other ones. Maybe it's the grind, or the 10° of bounce. Maybe it's the TT 115g Dynamic Gold shaft, or the weight distribution, or the "Feel Balancing Technology" stamped on the club head. I don't know why it feels better or why I hit better shots with it and honestly, I may never know.

While I might not be ready to drink the golf marketing Kool-Aid yet, I was wrong about equipment not making much of a difference for a high capper. Tonight's two hour workout opened my mind a bit - at least to the possibility that certain clubs and certain tech fit certain swings.

Did you get one with the steel shaft or graphite shaft? I struggle with wedges occasionally too and have been considering a switch to graphite (that's what I play in my irons) and I just wonder if that could help.

Either way - good review. The short game was the most challenging when I started out, but once you get it under control your entire game is better for it.

Great writeup!

I play a CBX2 in 50, 54 and a cbx full face in 58. I love the 54 and 58, but for some reason I can't get a handle on the 50 great clubs for the most part though.

Nice review. I've played the CBX 54 and 58 for 2 years and really like them.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

The CBX2 50* is my go-to wedge for chipping and pitching. I am tempted to go with a 56* to replace my current sand wedge.

Great review, my CBX 50, 56 and sometimes 60 are very good clubs.

Thanks for the review, looking forward to following along! I'm a high capper as well and looking to switch my gap and sand wedges to a CB wedge for added forgiveness. Very excited to hear how this goes for you.
Likewise, please post what you end up with if you make a change.

Did you get one with the steel shaft or graphite shaft? I struggle with wedges occasionally too and have been considering a switch to graphite (that's what I play in my irons) and I just wonder if that could help.

Mine came with a steel TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft at 115 grams. I put graphite shafts on the 56 and 60 Maltby wedges (ordered the week before) because I thought it would be beneficial to match my iron set. The 56 is fine but for some reason, the 60 was not. Same exact shaft and built exactly the same. That's one reason why the Cleveland impressed me so much.

The CBX2 50* is my go-to wedge for chipping and pitching. I am tempted to go with a 56* to replace my current sand wedge.

If I'm not mistaken, you replaced your KE4 gap wedge the 50° CBX2, correct? If I had to do it all over and know what I know now, I probably would have gone with a different setup for my KE4 iron set. But I hit the 56° and 49° ok.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this Cleveland 60° performs on the course. One of the biggest game changers for me was going to a used Hogan 56/10 a few years ago. Getting out of the sand became so much easier. I feel this new CBX2 wedge will provide the same advantage in controlling run out. On chips where I have a lot of green to work on or an uphill chip, I don't mind using anything up to a 9i. But on those short-sided shots, the run out from a GW or SW does not allow for a lot of 1-putt opportunities.

As a follow-up, I hit some more shots with the wedge earlier this evening and last night was not an anomaly. Many thanks to @GolferGal and @JB .

Likewise, please post what you end up with if you make a change.

Mine came with a steel TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft at 115 grams. I put graphite shafts on the 56 and 60 Maltby wedges (ordered the week before) because I thought it would be beneficial to match my iron set. The 56 is fine but for some reason, the 60 was not. Same exact shaft and built exactly the same. That's one reason why the Cleveland impressed me so much.

If I'm not mistaken, you replaced your KE4 gap wedge the 50° CBX2, correct? If I had to do it all over and know what I know now, I probably would have gone with a different setup for my KE4 iron set. But I hit the 56° and 49° ok.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this Cleveland 60° performs on the course. One of the biggest game changers for me was going to a used Hogan 56/10 a few years ago. Getting out of the sand became so much easier. I feel this new CBX2 wedge will provide the same advantage in controlling run out. On chips where I have a lot of green to work on or an uphill chip, I don't mind using anything up to a 9i. But on those short-sided shots, the run out from a GW or SW does not allow for a lot of 1-putt opportunities.

As a follow-up, I hit some more shots with the wedge earlier this evening and last night was not an anomaly. Many thanks to @GolferGal and @JB .

Yes, I have the KE4 49°. Like you I would also have done it differently. Maybe even 6-9 KE4 and then CBX2 46°, 50° and 56°.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have the KE4 49°. Like you I would also have done it differently. Maybe even 6-9 KE4 and then CBX2 46°, 50° and 56°.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curious. Would you consider if the sole is working so well in CBX, irons with similar design such as Srixon.

Curious. Would you consider if the sole is working so well in CBX, irons with similar design such as Srixon.

No. probably just the wedges. I am happy with the rest of my irons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good first review post!

Good review. I've been playing both a 50* and 54* CBX wedges for a couple of years and they are indeed very forgiving. I play to a 5 hdcp, and don't really need help getting the ball high and spinning. While they bother me at times with an inability to flight full shots down, the forgiveness on thin hits or impact nearer the heel and toe is truly amazing compared to traditional blade style wedges. You simply finish near target more than any wedges I've tried. If anyone struggles with hitting high and soft wedge shots with lots of spin the CBX line of wedges is almost like magic.

This has been my experience too - as far as forgiveness goes. I’m a high handicapper and my wedge play really improved after I started using the CBX wedges. Now, I also started practicing a lot more with them too, but I still think these are so helpful for the average golfer. I plan on getting CBX2’s when it’s time to replace my current set

Back