Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

cOncept,

On average, how much farther do you hit the Cleveland Black Driver than your R9 with Miyazaki shaft ? Is accuracy about the same or better with the Black ?

D the only change I felt was from better contact on the choked up shots

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

cOncept,

On average, how much farther do you hit the Cleveland Black Driver than your R9 with Miyazaki shaft ? Is accuracy about the same or better with the Black ?

I had an R9 SuperTri and I really dont notice too much of a difference in accuracy but I will say the misses with the Black are much different than they were with the SuperTri because I have am able to swing it so much faster. Distance wise I am seeing about 30 yards longer on average due a lot in part to a longer shaft and a higher swing speed.

I am a very "streaky" driver in terms of accuracy. Sometimes I will be lazy and just play a slight fade that ends with me hitting 90%+ fairways and other times I will really focus more on shaping shots...the days I try to shape shots are when I am the least accurate. I have a lot more days where I try to be more creative off the tee with the Black because it has honestly given me a lot more confidence off the tee. My mindset is that as long as I can keep the shot playable I dont have to worry about much since I am not pressed for distance anymore.

cOncept,

The distance gained with the Cleveland Black over the SuperTri sounds incredulous. I was thinking that since you were already hitting a Miyazaki in the SuperTri, the most one could realistically expect would be 7-10 yards of extra distance. Did it take time to get used to the shallower face of the Black ?

What a difference a grip makes!

What a difference a grip makes!

Let me preface this post with some background info... I watch too much Golf Channel. Was watching the Golf Fix this week and Breed was talking about how you need to have a stronger grip. I figure this is a good tip for me as my grip is strong, but closer to neutral, so I took it to the range last night to work on. Grooved it and it was working ok. So decided to take it to the course. First of all I noticed that all of my distances were a little off. Couldn't hit a straight ball off the tee to save my life. Front 9 was 2/6 with some pretty bad misses. Was probably lucky to get the 2!!

Anyways, got frustrated with it and went to my old grip on the back 9. Whaddya know? Distances went back to normal and the old lumber went back to straight! 5/5 fairways. Helped me shoot a 41 on the back which is really good for me.

Distances were more of the same for me. Mostly in the 220-230 range with a high of ~240.

I'll be honest, I was hoping for a little more distance out of this club. I know it's a little colder (was about 50 today) and everything is wet from this weather. I'm sure that contributes. I will say that I noticed I was ballooning a little bit on the back 9. That may have just been my swing today, or it may be the tee height. I've seen some differing reports about tee height with this guy. I'm currently teeing it so about half of the ball is above the clubhead at address. I may try to lower it a little and see what happens. I will say that I've been hitting this one pretty close to dead center on the face when I'm swinging it well. How high are all of the testers teeing it up?

I think I'm due for a range session where I work solely on getting my speed up while maintaining the smooth tempo. I think sometimes that I'm so concerned with my tempo sometimes that I may not be getting through the ball as fast as I could be.

All that being said, I'm still very satisfied with this driver. Can't be angry with fairways even if there not the longest shots in the world. Just like everything in golf, you can always be a little better/farther/more accurate!

Great update Doc!

Played Whitewater Country Club with one of my buddies, Ole Gray, and TOAD today. I hot 10/13 fairways today, and was fairly consistent on my ball flight. TOAD was crushing this thing on the 3 or 4 holes he hit it, averaging between 280 and 300 yds each time. I will do a full write-up tomorrow, as we are on our way to dinner.

Played Whitewater Country Club with one of my buddies, Ole Gray, and TOAD today. I hot 10/13 fairways today, and was fairly consistent on my ball flight. TOAD was crushing this thing on the 3 or 4 holes he hit it, averaging between 280 and 300 yds each time. I will do a full write-up tomorrow, as we are on our way to dinner.

Man do I wish I could have been there, I know you guys had a blast. Looking for T0AD to be purchasing a Black pretty soon huh? Enjoy the early Bday dinner my friend.

Yes, I was smashing it just a wee bit. And no, not at that price point.
Give a shout to Blind9, they can get a great price I am sure.

Doc, try teeing it down so that you have about a third of the ball above the face. I've seen lower spin numbers (launch monitor confirmed) with that height vs higher or lower. Hope it works out for you.

--
tapatalk

Doc, try teeing it down so that you have about a third of the ball above the face. I've seen lower spin numbers (launch monitor confirmed) with that height vs higher or lower. Hope it works out for you.

--
tapatalk

Thanks. I'll give that a shot next time out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Great updates guys! I got into (another) golf conversation today regarding shaft weight - have any of you swung any shafts nearly as light as the Miyazaki on the CG Black? Any thoughts about this shaft as compared to those? I have no light shaft reference point to compare.

I concur with this.

I'll be taking a friend out for his first ever driving range experience tomorrow. I hope to get to the range a little early so I can get some good time with the CG Black. More tomorrow!

Had a couple of range sessions this weekend. Changing some swing faults so I thought the driver would be effected the most. I was completely wrong. I was crushing the Black duringboth days. I am not sure what is happening. I took a video and will post it as soon as the computer is fixed. I'm talking taking a full on aggressive swing and seeing great results in terrible weather.

Had a couple of range sessions this weekend. Changing some swing faults so I thought the driver would be effected the most. I was completely wrong. I was crushing the Black duringboth days. I am not sure what is happening. I took a video and will post it as soon as the computer is fixed. I'm talking taking a full on aggressive swing and seeing great results in terrible weather.

Wow, I am looking forward to seeing the video, curious how you are able to take the full on agressive swing and not go right with this bad boy. I go right every time I try to really get on it.

I have no clue DD and I'm truly confused. Ive had the high rights with aggressive swings as well. I made an adjustment in my setup and immediately saw a big difference in this driver

Went to the range yesterday and had a middling session. I don't know if it was my mindset, the hard mats or the tough-as-nails range balls but I just didn't have any mojo. (Or the 15 year old kid next to me shaping shots all over the range!)

I started ok with my 9, PW and AW all responding favorably with the occasional hook or topped shot - between the cold wind in my face from the bay and those range rocks I think I had more bad reverberation up the club into my hands than anytime I've ranged-it in the past 10 years. I pulled out the Boccieri Heavy Wood and found a nice little groove after flubbing a few shots. I wouldn't say I was striping it, but I was close. Again, just one too many topped balls here. Then I had a mixed extended session with the CG Black.

After pulling the CG Black I saw something I rarely have seen with it -I was hooking my drives. Weirdest thing ever. I changed my stance a little, reviewed my grip ... ah ... that's the problem, my grip got into a weird position, like an open overlap. After those adjustments, I found it. Aim, address, swing ... ball almost always online. The same slight fade I was so comfortable with also came back. And then it all coalesced into that swing I felt in my previous post. Even the 15 year old stopped and nodded at me. I crushed ... and I mean CRUSHED a few down the range when my buddy (just a rank beginner, and a lefty) said "wow, that looked good." And my response was - "a great golf swing feels better than the great result. And that, my friend, was one of those times."

We paused to drink some water, chat behind the line of people on the range. This triggered some extra joints in my arm as the next 10 swings were ok to OMG THAT WAS UGLY. Each time I felt old flaws coming back - overswinging, bending my left elbow on the backswing and ending my swings off balance. Of those 10 miserable swings the CG Black definitely would have put 4 or 5 in the fairway. Then, as if to turn the screws tighter, I put together 4 or 5 ridiculous slices. Push Slices. Push slices with a few "pings" off the range poles. The 15 year old stopped and said "what happened, man?" My response .. "this is why I'm a hacker!"

Step back, drink a couple long swings of Gatorade and the swing is back.

Relieved I end my session practicing various short game shots and resolve to practice twice a week, even with these painful range balls if need be. Hopefully the closest GolfTec is with in reasonable driving distance.

Test Date: 2/3/12
Testing Club: Cleveland Black Driver 10.5* with C Kua 39S shaft
My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Srixon Z-Star
Environment: Partly Sunny, 62*, Right ankle in brace

I got to play 18 holes at Whitewater Creek ountry Club on Friday with one of my buddies, TOAD, and Ole Gray. It was fairly windy when we started, but died down by the back nine. The course was soft in places, but not too bad. I hit 10/13 fairways, with my longest drives being 270yds on hole 9, 240yds on hole 10, and 253yds on hole 18. On the rest I averaged about 225yds. We were not getting a lot of rollout, but I was still in good positions in the fairway. It was nice playing a course I had never played before, and haing confidence on the tee. I can honestly say I have no fear with this driver now. Yes, I still have some bad shots, but most of my drives are in play. It was a really good day.

cOncept,

The distance gained with the Cleveland Black over the SuperTri sounds incredulous. I was thinking that since you were already hitting a Miyazaki in the SuperTri, the most one could realistically expect would be 7-10 yards of extra distance. Did it take time to get used to the shallower face of the Black ?

I got used to it pretty quickly. The ST is a lot heavier and was shorter hence the distance gains for me. I'm getting a lower ball flight and less backspin also so the Black really helped me in every area to pickup distance. I personally never noticed the change in what the heads looked like but I am definitely more of a fan of the shallower design on the Black...just seems like the mass is where it needs to be.

I hit DawgDaddy's driver today and it was really performing really well for me! I was almost tempted to hide it from him and take it home with me :bulgy-eyes:

Your Turdelist wouldn't like that very much

I hit DawgDaddy's driver today and it was really performing really well for me! I was almost tempted to hide it from him and take it home with me :bulgy-eyes:

Gray. You would love this driver in your bag!

It really is an amazing Driver isnt it, OG? I hit this driver better than anything else out currently, and yet I still dont have it in the bag.

Your Turdelist wouldn't like that very much

hehe what she don't know want hurt huh :D?

Gray. You would love this driver in your bag!

You was flat out killing yours at our get together last Friday! I think you missed one fairway all day. It was also cool watching T0AD blast one out there 305 yds huh!?

It really is an amazing Driver isnt it, OG? I hit this driver better than anything else out currently, and yet I still dont have it in the bag.

It really is and I only missed it on the first hole I pulled it out today. I hit two balls with Dawg's driver and busted both but went at them really hard and hit push shots to the right. The rest of them I nutted up on and they were way out there !

It really is and I only missed it on the first hole I pulled it out today. I hit two balls with Dawg's driver and busted both but went at them really hard and hit push shots to the right. The rest of them I nutted up on and they were way out there !

He really hit it great, it was fun to watch my buddy hit the ball and then say "oh, WOW!" He was having a serious "A" game type of day with the dirver.

Back