Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Seems like this one is under the radar unless I am just late to the party.
Yes sir. Played it a few weekends ago. Still a bomber.

Seems like this one is under the radar unless I am just late to the party.
I started gaming it in 2011...

Definitely was not under the radar, just a few years old now. This thread continues to popup with praise from those who game it, that says a lot.

I started gaming it in 2011...

Definitely was not under the radar, just a few years old now. This thread continues to popup with praise from those who game it, that says a lot.

Dan aka d_in_la is going to let me try his his for awhile. Messaged me and asked if I would love to try. Can't pass an opportunity, he just need to go pull it from his storage unit now.Really looking forward to trying her out. Thanks Dan.

Dan aka d_in_la is going to let me try his his for awhile. Messaged me and asked if I would love to try. Can't pass an opportunity, he just need to go pull it from his storage unit now.Really looking forward to trying her out. Thanks Dan.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts dude.

It changed my game off the tee.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts dude.

It changed my game off the tee.

Me to, say bhilln has my amp cell driver now since he lowered it. But when I get it back and have the CG it's game on.

I actually gamed it last month. Dont even have to try and it is long and straight. I ended up cutting mine down but I regret it sometimes
tap tap taparoo

I actually gamed it last month. Dont even have to try and it is long and straight. I ended up cutting mine down but I regret it sometimes
tap tap taparoo

Still have the stock shaft in it?

Still have the stock shaft in it?
yup I couldn't bring myself to change it. Honestly the shaft that was in the 290 would have made this interesting
tap tap taparoo

Anyone still using this driver and what do you think of it. Still seeing it as a option on Cleveland's website.

Finally bit the bullet after a long distance love affair with this club. Used it for a good part of the end of last season. It might be as close to a perfect setup for me as has ever been made. I have a slower swing speed so the lightweight shaft / head combo are perfect. Helps with my lower ball flight as well. I think the Altitude Driver was designed as sort of a replacement for this though. I haven't spent a lot of time with the Altitude though.

So you bit the bullet so does that mean you got rid of the CG Driver?
Finally bit the bullet after a long distance love affair with this club. Used it for a good part of the end of last season. It might be as close to a perfect setup for me as has ever been made. I have a slower swing speed so the lightweight shaft / head combo are perfect. Helps with my lower ball flight as well. I think the Altitude Driver was designed as sort of a replacement for this though. I haven't spent a lot of time with the Altitude though.

So you bit the bullet so does that mean you got rid of the CG Driver?

Sorry. Should have been more clear. I bought one. I had wanted one for a really long time.

Sorry. Should have been more clear. I bought one. I had wanted one for a really long time.

Ooh lol well congrats. Say sounds like this is a great driver to be a fairway finder.

You still gaming it, Dev?

The Altitude driver isnt really a "replacement" for it, but more of an advancement of similar characteristics that made the CG Black what it is.

You still gaming it, Dev?

The Altitude driver isnt really a "replacement" for it, but more of an advancement of similar characteristics that made the CG Black what it is.

I am currently gaming nothing due to the wonderful NJ weather but I had been alternating between it and the Amp Cell

When I demo'd the Big Bertha today at Golfsmith, I told the fitter I currently play the CG Black. He said "that's a good driver!". The BB numbers were really not good enough for me to seriously consider benching the Black.

I am currently gaming nothing due to the wonderful NJ weather but I had been alternating between it and the Amp Cell
I guess I didnt think my question all the way through, lol.

Sorry if this is a "do-over" question but I was wondering if anyone has played the CG Black Tour?

Last edited:
Tried this guy against my 588 Custom and I am thinking the 588 Custom wins. Some things I noticed with this was first holy cow it's light. I knew it was light before hitting it but wow defiantly can feel the difference from my driver to this one. Had no issues hitting bombs with it still and could still hit it straight. Another thing was the sound, has a nice ting sound to it. Bhilln was hitting his xhot driver and it sounded very similar. Really wanna see what this can do on the course. So I will wait till the course opens up and do another head to head. It's currently at 46 since it's D_in_LA so it might make some difference between my gamer. Can't wait to see what I can do on the course.

Back