Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Great update cOncept.

Played at my home course today in great weather. Used the Nike Mojo again but this time it seemed a bit longer than last round. I hit 9/10 fairways (par 70 course). I started off very cold and really was feeling a bit sick today.

Round started with me waiting at the tee for a good 20-30 minutes before I even hit my first shot...result was me missing the fairway to the right but still going at the green for an eagle chance. After that I hit every fairway including a few tricky ones with strategically placed trees.

Distance wise I was seeing some good shots with no drives under 240 yards and a long of 270. I felt like I had more in the tank but just couldn't seem to get myself swinging today. (even my irons were playing 10 yards shorter) Typical shot was a slight fade of about 5 yards which is my natural shot and the ball flight was actually a bit lower than usual which was nice. The more upright swing has definitely helped and I feel more in control of the club even though it is so much longer than I was used to.

After all the testing I have decided that I really want to add the CG Black fairway wood to my bag based on how great the driver has been for me so far. Since I have started using the CG Black driver my scores have been consistently on their way down.

Good update Concept. I think you will love the Black FW. I absolutely loved it and have been pondering ever since

Good update Concept. I think you will love the Black FW. I absolutely loved it and have been pondering ever since

I hit my buddies burner today which was the first FW I have hit since I had my FL...long story short I hit it with a nice cut off the deck because I wasnt used to it but I realized that with the right 3W I really could put a lot of holes in play again...I think the light weight of the Black forcing a slow tempo is going to be great plus I will actually be able get the ball off the ground unlike my 1-hybrid.

Took advantage of a beautiful SW Florida day and spent some quality time with the black driver on the range and on the course. Very light breeze today and our courses are starting to firm up so the fairways are getting some roll.

Started out on the range working on tempo drills to get me in sync after a week layoff. I had noticed recently that my tee height had gotten a little low, I'm thinking this was due to me chasing a lower ball flight. What I noticed with the lower tee height was directly the opposite of what I was wanting. The past two-three rounds I've seen the ball flight getting a little higher, thus robbing distance. Today I made it a point to use the lines on the thp epoch tees more diligently, I found the middle line to give me the best results.

On the range I was seeing a consistent straight ball with a normal swing and if I focused on driving my right elbow I could turn the ball over fairly easily. This was the same aqua range I often use and there is not yardage markers so I can't tell you what I was getting. I was very pleased with the shot height today, a steady climbing ball that would play well in any condition.

On the course I played 9 for score and 9 in prep for the MC, only recorded stats for the front 9. The course I played today isn't the hardest in regards to driving, pretty open and generous fairways. Taking that into account I hit 6/7 fairways, the one miss being a short par 4 that I did not use the black on...go figure! Off the tee I almost felt like it was point and shoot today, which speaks to the confidence I have with this driver.

Teeing the ball a little higher today was helping me not go down and get the ball and as a result I was catching the ball more on the upswing and imparting less spin. Less spin and solid contact equaled a little more distance for me today, maybe five-ten yards on average. That might not sound like much but gaining yards when you don't feel like you're swinging out of your shoes has a great effect on your psyche.

Heading back out tomorrow to a new course in Naples, I'll post up again tomorrow/Friday morning.

Just catching up, c0ncept & SW bringing the great reviews as usual. I too am starting to think about the Black 3W as an addition to the bag, and I like the idea of paying attention to the lines on the Epoch's too, the game is about being able to repeat what you do well, thanks for the reminder Danny.

Had a really interesting round the other day. Every other drive was choked up. It was remarkable the difference it made. It was a mud bath out there so distance was not taken into consideration with regards to choking or not choking up on the driver. The accuracy though was far better with the choked up shots.

FIR choking up--5/7 and my misses were both less than a foot off the fairway. Ball flight was exactly how I like it. Mid at first and then it climbs to a pretty high flight and then slowly comes down. I felt completely in control of the driver when I choked up on it.

FIR non choking up--2/7 and my misses were bad. 3 shots in the woods. I will say that the 2 in the fairway were absolute bombs though. 250 which was all carry as the balls actually plugged into the muddy fairway.

My thought process on the tee box was completely different for the choked up as opposed to the non choked up. Confidence was high and so I was looking at where I wanted to put the ball in the fairway to set myself up for the next shot. With the non choked up shots I was a mess. Had zero confidence and was looking at where I didn't want the ball to go. 2 of the fairways I missed were gigantic also.

sounds like you found something that worked for you, at least for that round

Had a really interesting round the other day. Every other drive was choked up. It was remarkable the difference it made. It was a mud bath out there so distance was not taken into consideration with regards to choking or not choking up on the driver. The accuracy though was far better with the choked up shots.

FIR choking up--5/7 and my misses were both less than a foot off the fairway. Ball flight was exactly how I like it. Mid at first and then it climbs to a pretty high flight and then slowly comes down. I felt completely in control of the driver when I choked up on it.

FIR non choking up--2/7 and my misses were bad. 3 shots in the woods. I will say that the 2 in the fairway were absolute bombs though. 250 which was all carry as the balls actually plugged into the muddy fairway.

My thought process on the tee box was completely different for the choked up as opposed to the non choked up. Confidence was high and so I was looking at where I wanted to put the ball in the fairway to set myself up for the next shot. With the non choked up shots I was a mess. Had zero confidence and was looking at where I didn't want the ball to go. 2 of the fairways I missed were gigantic also.

Interesting results dude. I played my last round with a 44" shaft and it was by far my best day driving the ball in a long time. While I think 44" might be on the extreme short side I am going to try a Matrix shaft I have at 44.5" and see if I can squeak a little more distance out of it.

Edit: I'll be back in 3 days for the chunkyrespsonse

Last edited:
Some really good feedback in this thread. Interesting thoughts on choking down on the driver shaft. Chunky have you ever been fit for driver length?

Interesting results dude. I played my last round with a 44" shaft and it was by far my best day driving the ball in a long time. While I think 44" might be on the extreme short side I am going to try a Matrix shaft I have at 44.5" and see if I can squeak a little more distance out of it.

ROFL

Some really good feedback in this thread. Interesting thoughts on choking down on the driver shaft. Chunky have you ever been fit for driver length?

I think he needs to be for sure. I think a massive misconception is that longer = longer. Not necessarily the case at all.

ROFL

I think he needs to be for sure. I think a massive misconception is that longer = longer. Not necessarily the case at all.

I very much agree with you. And with a properly fitted shaft you can more then make up some of the distance lost by going shorter.

I read somewhere that 75% of golfers play a driver that is too long for them. This individual recommended a length of 44. In fact, he claimed that the average driver lenght on tour since 2005 is 44.5 inches.

Jerk. Yeah I will usually go with 44.5". I have found that to be the best for dispersion and distance. I'm alright with 45". Above that and my dispersion will start suffering.

Not a full fitting. Just a quick one for my Titleist 910 last year. More of a shaft fitting

Not a full fitting. Just a quick one for my Titleist 910 last year. More of a shaft fitting

So shaft length wasn't covered in the shaft fitting?

--
tapatalk

Test Date: 2/2/12
Testing Club: Cleveland Black Driver 10.5* with C Kua 39S shaft
My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Taylormade Rocketballz
Environment: Mostly Sunny, 68*, Right ankle in brace

I was able to get out for 9 today, and how could I pass it up with it 60 degrees. My swing felt a little off today, just a little anxiou for some reason. I hit 4/7 fairways today with the CG Black, and 2 of the fairways I missed were only by a few feet. I started out with a dead straight drive on 1 of 248 yds, then 230 on three, and 264 yds on hole 3. On hole 5 i pulled it a litle further left than I wanted but it caught the hill and came back, just got caught up a little in the damp rough. On hole 6 I hit it pretty straight and ended up at 230 yds. On hole 8, I was feeling a little anxious and rushed my backswing, resulting in the infamous high fade. On hole 9, I slowed down my swing and ended up at 220 yds. I got absolutley no rollout as the fairway was a little damp. I then flushed my CG 3 wood about 210 uphill to setup a nice little 75 yds into the green. All in al a decant day.

My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Taylormade Rocketballz
Environment: Mostly Sunny, 68*, Right ankle in brace

I was able to get out for 9 today, and how could I pass it up with it 60 degrees. My swing felt a little off today, just a little anxiou for some reason. I hit 4/7 fairways today with the CG Black, and 2 of the fairways I missed were only by a few feet. I started out with a dead straight drive on 1 of 248 yds, then 230 on three, and 264 yds on hole 3. On hole 5 i pulled it a litle further left than I wanted but it caught the hill and came back, just got caught up a little in the damp rough. On hole 6 I hit it pretty straight and ended up at 230 yds. On hole 8, I was feeling a little anxious and rushed my backswing, resulting in the infamous high fade. On hole 9, I slowed down my swing and ended up at 220 yds. I got absolutley no rollout as the fairway was a little damp. I then flushed my CG 3 wood about 210 uphill to setup a nice little 75 yds into the green. All in al a decant day.

It actually sounded like a pretty "decent" day to me buddy.

So shaft length wasn't covered in the shaft fitting?

--
tapatalk

No. I knew I wanted 44.5". I was just trying to find a shaft that I like

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Chunkster - I'm curious if there is a change in the "feel" of the club now that you are choking down.

As for me, I think the longer length makes me more comfortable. Of course, I'm 6'4" and my arms aren't Kevin McHale Knuckle Dragging long.

I got out to a surprise 9 today, but there were only three holes long enough to take this club out on:

My Prior Club: Taylormade R7 460 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Bridgestone e6
Environment: A beautiful 62*, a stress-related throbbing between my ears
Course: Mission Hills, Hayward CA

Hole #3, Par 4, 359y
After two "meh" Par 3's I absolutely *almost* crush one. Boy I wish I had hit that one on the screws! If it wasn't for the ball mark just barely off center, I would have thought I did. I walk up to the fairway where I'm left with a 90 yard wedge. Hit the green, burn the hole for a two putt par.

Hole #6, Par 4, 320y
Not as good as a swing, but still put it about 245 out but just barely in the rough. Wedge in hand I stiff one close and drop a birdie putt.

Hole #8, Par 4, 271y
Since the last time I saw a short par 4 I drove the green, I thought I could do it again. Umm, not so much. I overcook my swing, pushing the ball far right. Two wedges later, I two putt for my boge. Shame.

I go back to work ready to tackle my afternoon. Life is good.

Ball Used: Srixon Z-Star
Weather: Low-Mid 80's, rather humid
Course: Naples Grande, Naples Florida

Got a chance to play a course that I've never been on before today so I jumped at the chance. I played the Black on the front 9 and did pretty darn well on a course that I didn't know at all. After 18 yesterday my right knee was aching a little bit so I wasn't 100% yet the driver didn't disappoint. 6/7 fairways on the front, all around the 230 yard range according to a GPS measuring system. These fairways were a little damper than my normal course so roll wasn't much of a factor today. My one miss was a dead pull that hit the fairway but took a weird hop into what has to be the worlds largest freaking fairway bunker, but a miss is a miss.

What I was seeing yesterday in regards to the more penetrating ball was again evident today, still a higher ball flight but not an arching flight. Mostly played for a fade today, lined up center left and let the ball fade back into the fairway. I have noticed that when I play for the fade I get a much more consistent ball, aka more fairways. Not sure what this is due to other than the fade being my natural shot shape whereas for a draw I have to mentally change my plane and tend to over-swing as a result.

I did notice a few times today that grip felt pretty slick, most likely due to the extra humidity and because I haven't washed my grips in 2-3 weeks. I'll keep an eye on that next time out.

Sounds like fun d_i_l I know the afternoon went better after that surprise 9, good stuff buddy. I still find if I really go after it, it goes long and right like you.

Sounds like fun d_i_l I know the afternoon went better after that surprise 9, good stuff buddy. I still find if I really go after it, it goes long and right like you.

Yead DD, I love this club but sometimes I want to just take an angry swing! Maybe I need to go Phil Mickelson with my clubs.

Just going to be short on this since it was a really bad day for me. My swing has moved to a very very bad pull due to my shoulder issues and I played in some crazy wind today...Needless to say a lot of cut shots and a lot of shots off the toe. On a good note even my worst were long enough to let me go for the green on every hole. Taking a few days off but I will be back out after this weekend with (hopefully) my old swing back

Just going to be short on this since it was a really bad day for me. My swing has moved to a very very bad pull due to my shoulder issues and I played in some crazy wind today...Needless to say a lot of cut shots and a lot of shots off the toe. On a good note even my worst were long enough to let me go for the green on every hole. Taking a few days off but I will be back out after this weekend with (hopefully) my old swing back

Ouch man, shoulder issues aren't fun. Take it easy this weekend.

--
tapatalk

Back