Cleveland CG16 Irons - PHOTOS!!!

Mine are due to ship out from Blind9 today or tomorrow and I'm super excited for them. The mizzie's are however crying in the closet due to being relegated to back up duty until they find a new home

SuperTuna - How did you get the KBS shafts in them? I dont see them available as an option? I'm considering an iron purchase, also looking at the mizuno jpxs too. Waiting another month or so then will get fit and probably pull the trigger on a new set.

FedEx dropped off my CG16 Black Pearl 4-PW irons. Quick range eval. These things are NICE! Had to made a bit of an adjustment after hitting the PIF 7 iron with the 85g steel shaft. But after a few swings to adjust to the 55g graphite shafts I'm very happy. These irons feel butterly smooth through the air. And the sound through impact is very pleasing. Can't wait to get them on the course. From the range I see I'll need to adjust yardages as I'm seeing better distance. At the moment I'm +1 club too many LOL

While I was at the range today hitting and testing some other clubs, I had a chance to hit the CG16 7 iron. I think this was a bad idea. Im in love. I remember liking this iron a lot at the last THP outing and demo day but not this much. I was pretty much blown away. I was really struggling with my other irons today hitting everything but good shots. Then I get this club out and pure every single shot I hit with it. This isnt good.

While I was at the range today hitting and testing some other clubs I had a chance to hit the CG16 7 iron. I think this was a bad idea. Im in love. I remember liking this iron a lot at the last THP outing and demo day but not this much. I was pretty much blown away. I was really struggling with my other irons today hitting everything but good shots. Then I get this club out and pure every single shot I hit with it. This isnt good.

It was just a matter of time.

Still 50 days till the outing too.

It was just a matter of time.

Still 50 days till the outing too.

I see why these are in your bag. What an awesome club.

FedEx dropped off my CG16 Black Pearl 4-PW irons. Quick range eval. These things are NICE! Had to made a bit of an adjustment after hitting the PIF 7 iron with the 85g steel shaft. But after a few swings to adjust to the 55g graphite shafts I'm very happy. These irons feel butterly smooth through the air. And the sound through impact is very pleasing. Can't wait to get them on the course. From the range I see I'll need to adjust yardages as I'm seeing better distance. At the moment I'm +1 club too many LOL

Happy for ya portalib! Enjoy your new puppies and the more you play with them the more you bond :D

While I was at the range today hitting and testing some other clubs, I had a chance to hit the CG16 7 iron. I think this was a bad idea. Im in love. I remember liking this iron a lot at the last THP outing and demo day but not this much. I was pretty much blown away. I was really struggling with my other irons today hitting everything but good shots. Then I get this club out and pure every single shot I hit with it. This isnt good.

Kevin -- These dogs will bite man :thumb:. They are very forgiving and well balanced. Good luck with your temptation OEM :D

These cg16 irons were a big hit with my fellow thpers at the knoxville demo day today. My wife is getting a set for sure and my buddy thinks he will buy them too. Best part of my wife playing the mens regular flex is that I can use them too!:banana::D:clapp:

These cg16 irons were a big hit with my fellow thpers at the knoxville demo day today. My wife is getting a set for sure and my buddy thinks he will buy them too. Best part of my wife playing the mens regular flex is that I can use them too!:banana::D:clapp:

I was sure blown away today by the 7 iron. It was high, long and easy to hit.

just did a quick search on ebay. There were a bunch of 7 irons for sale...

just did a quick search on ebay. There were a bunch of 7 irons for sale...

Not surprised. People are dumb and take advantage.

They look good! Too bad I'm enjoying my irons or I'd try these

I'm really liking the CG16's also. Very similar to the RazrX's IMO

I do too. And I think I want them now.

Come OEM stay strong, you're a Callaway staffer now, can't be getting some Clevelands.

So Dawg Daddy sent me the play it forward 7iron. I made it to the range today and warmed up with my 7iron. My one buddy came with me to the range so he could test these out compared to his TM 2.0 burners. I hit about three balls with the CG16 and sliced the ball every time. I took a step back and couldn't realize what I was doing wrong. I composed myself and took another solid swing and the ball went straight but didn't have good ball flight! I took a step back and looked at the club, immediately I was thinking "i've read so many great things about this club, what's wong." I then realized that it was a regular flex. Ahhhhh. I usually swing a stiff flex, so this may askew my perspective on this club. I slowed my swing down a little bit and had a few really good shots. The ball gets up into the air quickly and has excellent distance. Regardless of the flex I will say the club weight is a little light for me, I prefer a heavier shaft. At address the ball dosen't scream "GI club", but the club does have a big sole and a fairly thick top-line. I'm going to go to my local shop to swing a stiff flex to get a better perspective on what this club can do.

As for my buddy he uses a regular flex in his 2.0's so this club was right up his alley. He crushed balls with this club. I had him hit a ball with the 2.0's then switch to the CG16's. We did this for about 20 balls. He loved the ball flight with this club and felt it was higher than the 2.0s. He also said that the 2.0's were a tad longer, but not by much. We were talking on the way home and he said that he thinks if he was fitted for these clubs like he was for his 2.0's, the minor tweaks in lie angle and club length might push these clubs past his 2.0's. Needless to say I "played it forward" and gave him the CG16's, which he said he wanted to use out on the course.

SuperTuna - How did you get the KBS shafts in them? I dont see them available as an option? I'm considering an iron purchase, also looking at the mizuno jpxs too. Waiting another month or so then will get fit and probably pull the trigger on a new set.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier mate. I asked Blind9 and I assume since Cleveland know's how awesome they are they made it happen. Frankly I'm super impressed it could happen because everyone I talked to said Cleveland wasn't doing alternative shafts in the CG16's this year.

Give Patty and Dennis a shout, I'm sure they can help you out (don't ask for the Black nickel shafts though. Cleveland won't do those custom as of yet)

Demo'd the CG16 in Black Pearl at my local range last Saturday. They had a 2 degree up +1/2" which was close to my specs. I really like these clubs. Currently play Ping g2s but looking for something with smaller profile but still forgiving. Compared the CG16s to Mizuno JPX-800 and Ping G15s. The Clevelands were the winners hands down. I wanted to like the Mizuno's but just didn't feel right to me. The G15s were similar to my G2s but worse. I tend to pull shots to the left. The CG16s just felt great. I hit them much more consistently and they were the longest of the three. Lofts are strong but they had the same height as my current 7 iron. I actually got better distance from the reg steel then the reg graphite which surprised me. May try one more demo session (need to try the Ping i15) to be sure but I may order a set with a couple of matching wedges.

Just a quick update today:

These puppies just arrived at my office and they are plain gorgeous. They are definately longer shaft for shaft then my previous Mizuno's and have the lofts stronger by 2 degrees per club. Sadly I can't take them out today but I booked 18 for tomorrow to give them the run about.

On a totally random note, these clubs have that new car smell. It's kind of weird...

Just a quick update today:

These puppies just arrived at my office and they are plain gorgeous. They are definately longer shaft for shaft then my previous Mizuno's and have the lofts stronger by 2 degrees per club. Sadly I can't take them out today but I booked 18 for tomorrow to give them the run about.

On a totally random note, these clubs have that new car smell. It's kind of weird...

Since you cant hit them that means you can post pics later. I'll look forward to viewing them on my new iPad2 which BTW, I love. I want these irons in a bad way and have been thinking of rewarding myself after the new job.

Since you cant hit them that means you can post pics later. I'll look forward to viewing them on my new iPad2 which BTW, I love. I want these irons in a bad way and have been thinking of rewarding myself after the new job.

Great idea, Kevin. I too love these irons. Would you go Satin or Black? Congrats, Tuna!

Great idea, Kevin. I too love these irons. Would you go Satin or Black? Congrats, Tuna!

You know what they say about black and going back.

You know what they say about black and going back.

I like the Satin, but the black is very nice looking. Really makes the lazer milling pop.

I like the Satin, but the black is very nice looking. Really makes the lazer milling pop.

The Satin is very nice looking too. My CG16 7 iron is satin and its better looking then I remembered.

Back