Cleveland CG16 Irons - PHOTOS!!!

Well now I'm really confused. I was all set to buy the 2.0s until today's long range session. I hit a few wedges to warm up and then nothing but the tester 2.0 6 iron and the play it forward CG16 7 iron for about 120 balls. This CG16 is the softest feel at impact I have ever experienced. It was longer than my x22, but of course with the stronger loft and ridiculous shaft length (longer shafts than the 2.0s) that's not really surprising.

The burners are longer, but the feel of the CG16s is definitely better. I may have to go back to the launch monitor one more time for some more data as the CGs weren't on my radar last time. This is getting ridiculous - I've been iron hunting for 5 months now!

Well now I'm really confused. I was all set to buy the 2.0s until today's long range session. I hit a few wedges to warm up and then nothing but the tester 2.0 6 iron and the play it forward CG16 7 iron for about 120 balls. This CG16 is the softest feel at impact I have ever experienced. It was longer than my x22, but of course with the stronger loft and ridiculous shaft length (longer shafts than the 2.0s) that's not really surprising.

The burners are longer, but the feel of the CG16s is definitely better. I may have to go back to the launch monitor one more time for some more data as the CGs weren't on my radar last time. This is getting ridiculous - I've been iron hunting for 5 months now!

I hope your journey is an easier one. It's insane how much good stuff is out there. I would make a short list of 3 sets and then take them to your fitter and hit them back and forth. Hit five balls and switch the club. This will hopefully make it easier to choose. The 2.0's are a great club and although distance is great, overall accuracy and feel is paramount.

PS.... I got home from work today and had this club on my front porch. Thanks DawgDaddy! Initial thoughts: the sole is thicker than I thought, the grooves don't feel deep with the milled face, I love the color of the back cavity, the back cavity eerily reminds me of the Diablo Edge.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Don't let the junk in the trunk fool ya YD. I had the same pre thoughts but man was I surprised. Those shovels are much better than I had imagined and after hitting the Tour model side by side with the regulars, The regulars were a no brainer. Three degrees less loft on the regulars and man do they carry!
I agree with you on the looks, when I opened the 7 iron I thought no way would I game that club. After a session at the driving range, I found it easy to hit and like you said "man do they carry!" if I were buying new clubs right now, they would be at the top of my list of considered clubs.
And for the above post, you are more than welcome Mardin, I hope it helps you make up your mind on new irons, and enjoy the Polaras.

Last edited:
I agree with you on the looks, when I opened the 7 iron I thought no way would I game that club. After a session at the driving range, I found it easy to hit and like you said "man do they carry!" if I were buying new clubs right now, they would be at the top of my list of considered clubs.

Initially I was going with the black or gunmetal finish. When I received the seven iron with the satin finish I loved the appearance. When I ordered my full set it was all satin except for my CG16 wedges. The 50 & 56 are gunmetal. The top line is thick so if that is not your thing, it may scare you off. After hitting these irons, they could have a board across the top, and I would buy them. I was going with the tour models however after hitting both at our local demo day, the regular CG16s were the ticket. Heck for me hitting the 4 - iron is like hitting a 7 - iron. I have always liked a 4 - iron and the CG16 for me, is easy to hit.

Gray I just can't get used to you talking about Cleveland stuff and seeing all the CLeveland logos in your signature....The Snakes must feel completely rejected
Initially I was going with the black or gunmetal finish. When I received the seven iron with the satin finish I loved the appearance. When I ordered my full set it was all satin except for my CG16 wedges. The 50 & 56 are gunmetal. The top line is thick so if that is not your thing, it may scare you off. After hitting these irons, they could have a board across the top, and I would buy them. I was going with the tour models however after hitting both at our local demo day, the regular CG16s were the ticket. Heck for me hitting the 4 - iron is like hitting a 7 - iron. I have always liked a 4 - iron and the CG16 for me, is easy to hit.

He's like superman. He goes into the phone booth with one of these and comes out with another.

Spoiler
theendisnear.jpg

now that is some funny :poop: right there
He's like superman. He goes into the phone booth with one of these and comes out with another.

Spoiler
theendisnear.jpg

Gray I just can't get used to you talking about Cleveland stuff and seeing all the CLeveland logos in your signature....The Snakes must feel completely rejected

Yea they are whining a bit :weep:. The S2 irons were traded in to TGW. I still have the S2 driver & my old S9 driver in the closet along with all my DWS hybrids.

Spoiler
theendisnear.jpg

haha Superman is flying with some missiles now. Clark Kent can hardly wait to get suited up for the course :glasses-cool:! The CG16s are hotter than a two dollar pistol :thumb:

see, can't make the break completely can you? you're like the guy who keep the size 32 pants in the closet just in case he can fit back into them. Glad these are working for you though buddy!
Yea they are whining a bit :weep:. The S2 irons were traded in to TGW. I still have the S2 driver & my old S9 driver in the closet along with all my DWS hybrids.

haha Superman is flying with some missiles now. Clark Kent can hardly wait to get suited up for the course :glasses-cool:! The CG16s are hotter than a two dollar cart girl :thumb:

FIFY....

God I hate this work computer, wont let me view most photos on any of these posts....ARRRGGGHHH

I'm another excited CG 16 buyer. They will get their first work out in 10 days on the TPC Sawgrass courses. I've been a Ping guy since 1988 with no other brand of irons in my bag since. Still hanging on to Ping though with the K15 driver and I 15 Hybrids. My buddies are all in a state of shock. My dilema was with choosing these or the Burner 2.0's but to me I liked the top line on these a little better and they felt a little better.

I've only hit the CG 16's on the mat with the simulator, so I can't wait to hit them on the turf. Little nervous about attacking Sawgrass with brand new irons though.

Like some others out there I purchased the CG 7 BP a while back and registered for the trade up program. So when the CG 16 came out I was excited to say the least. Hit some at a demo day and like them alot, got re-fitted while I was there. Called Cleveland and they sent out a new box and return label. They recieved my clubs on a Wed. and I had the CG 16 on Fri. of the next week. Made to my new specs, very fast turn around in my opinion. Anyway these clubs are the bomb. The long irons are at least 2 clubs longer for me and the short irons are still a full club longer. Last Sunday I flew over 4 greens, so I'm learning my new yardages and maybe this weekend I'll be better but what a problem to have. But great irons and thank you Cleveland for a free trade up program.

see, can't make the break completely can you? you're like the guy who keep the size 32 pants in the closet just in case he can fit back into them. Glad these are working for you though buddy!

FIFY....

You can always lose weight, but in this situation the way the CG 16's feel I don't know if he's going back to the snakes anytime soon.

You can always lose weight, but in this situation the way the CG 16's feel I don't know if he's going back to the snakes anytime soon.

Zing! I told KellyBo this morning that this would be my last set of irons. She looked at me and said, yea right :nono:. I replied well at least until the grooves wear out :D

Zing! I told KellyBo this morning that this would be my last set of irons. She looked at me and said, yea right :nono:. I replied well at least until the grooves wear out :D

I've tried this line on my wife to similar effect - ie. she's not buying!

last set of irons for 2011 right Gray?

lol no you can't...but people like to have Plan B's all the time

lol no you can't...but people like to have Plan B's all the time

LOL! Plan B= buy a new set of irons. I like Plan B.

Pandute and I just left EW. She tried every club in the store I believe. The ones she hit the best were the CG16's with a mens regular flex graphite shaft. She was launching the ball 155 yards with that 7 iron. I have never seen her more excited over a set of clubs. I was willing to buy them on the spot, but she wants to sleep on it. I think we might be getting these really soon. She loved the black finish and with the black graphite shaft they looked unbelievable.:clapp:banana::D:

Pandute and I just left EW. She tried every club in the store I believe. The ones she hit the best were the CG16's with a mens regular flex graphite shaft. She was launching the ball 155 yards with that 7 iron. I have never seen her more excited over a set of clubs. I was willing to buy them on the spot, but she wants to sleep on it. I think we might be getting these really soon. She loved the black finish and with the black graphite shaft they looked unbelievable.:clapp:banana::D:

Get some of that JB :D

Mine are due to ship out from Blind9 today or tomorrow and I'm super excited for them. The mizzie's are however crying in the closet due to being relegated to back up duty until they find a new home

Mine are due to ship out from Blind9 today or tomorrow and I'm super excited for them. The mizzie's are however crying in the closet due to being relegated to back up duty until they find a new home

Congrats ST and looking forward to your take on them!

Wow guys. I'm really pumped for you.I'm going to hit the PIF 7 iron tomorrow morning to see how these bad boys feel.

SuperTuna - How did you get the KBS shafts in them? I dont see them available as an option? I'm considering an iron purchase, also looking at the mizuno jpxs too. Waiting another month or so then will get fit and probably pull the trigger on a new set.

Back