Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Over on the home page, THP has in hand looks at this incredibly interesting driver hitting stores in January. You can find some video of both the unboxing and then a little impact sound test. Check it out here.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=15261

Here are some in hand photos of the Classic.

i-c3cf9Rs-L.jpg

i-swmr4Zg-L.jpg

i-4bhqbqX-L.jpg

i-m67rz8T-L.jpg

i-TvHBg4Z-L.jpg

i-VtGTWkp-L.jpg

i-C4cvRZj-L.jpg

The in-hand pictures look much better than the ones I have seen over the last week. The Classic is absolutely stunning, just has a beautiful look to it. Plus, that headcover is sweet!

I'm not a fan at all of the looks of the driver or headcover. But if it gets it in the fairway better than anything else on the market, I'd surely give it a real look.

I'm a huge fan of the color on this one. C Kua stock shaft? Yes! Can't wait to see how this one turns out. I still love my TL 310 and really want to give this line a go.

That package is just downright cool!! Headcover is very interesting (almost looks handmade) but makes sense with the theme of the club. Definitely a bunch of depth in that face - interested to see how it helps with the hits high on the face.

Sounds is very tame compared to what we are used to hearing. Looking forward to hearing what the selling points of this driver are (more distance, better control) or if it is just kinda the rebadged nostalgia target.

I love the packaging that it came in. Reminds me of when I used to receive fishing rods in the mail. Definitely unique. I was really worried about the sound when I heard "largest face in golf." Reasson is, I remember Cobra saying that had the largest face in golf back a few years ago and that driver was as loud as can be. This one doesn't seem to have that loud crack but a rather nice thwack sound to it.

Its funny, the color of the driver has looked different in every set of pictures I have seen. From GMac's, to golf.com, to these. I actually like the color of it more as we get more pictures.

Hmmmm I am very interested in this one and will be looking forward to seeing how it feels on the range. It's a driver that would have to grow on me in the looks department however if that sucker is a fairway seeker, it could find a home pretty easy. :D

I think it's awesome. Not going to be for everybody, but it's a really fun idea. The face is so freaking deep! I thought the sound was pretty nice as well.

Alright, this thing is slightly growing on me, but that's mostly how Cleveland has fully embraced the Classic, all the way from the packaging to the headcover to the details.

So, how did it perform????

After hitting a few balls with it, I have to say that it is making it very hard to focus on the short game stuff I have been working on.

Alright, this thing is slightly growing on me, but that's mostly how Cleveland has fully embraced the Classic, all the way from the packaging to the headcover to the details.

Well that took long haha
I like the old style headcover, but I probably wouldn't use it. I'd stick with my Daphne's one. But it definitely is a cool touch. You are right they went all out in embracing the classic look.

The packaging is something else. It's so retro, I love the presentation.

That headcover is definitely a throwback. Really curious about it's functionality.

I hate to say, but I am not feeling this driver. I feel like you need the old cumbersome leather bag to go along with it. I hope it preforms because that is what I would need to bag it. I do like the way that Cleveland has gone full force at this project. I think a lot of people will jump on board and pick them up. I just like the new sleeker look of the drivers I have been using. I guess it is like driving a Classic Car to a New sports car. I would prefer the new sports car.

The packaging is something else. It's so retro, I love the presentation.

Me too. It was so unexpected and yet came across so well. Very cool touch.

Really curious about it's functionality.

I only got to hit a few balls with it this morning, but I can say that I liked what I saw. Love the deep face, but in my shots this morning, even hit one off the toe slightly and it flew rather well. Lots more coming in the next few days on this one.

Me too. It was so unexpected and yet came across so well. Very cool touch.

I only got to hit a few balls with it this morning, but I can say that I liked what I saw. Love the deep face, but in my shots this morning, even hit one off the toe slightly and it flew rather well. Lots more coming in the next few days on this one.

They said the deepest face they've done? This sounds extremely promising!

Nice looking, as someone who is relatively new to golf, the throwback look is not for me, it doesnt bring back any memories, but nice nonetheless.

Just when I think Cleveland can't do any better. This thing looks amazing. Much better in the video than the pictures. Can't wait to see how this thing performs. Packaging is such a cool touch and the head cover is just the icing on the cake.

and that's my miss, so that is something I am really looking for here. Good thing is, it seems like Cleveland once again will have a driver for just about any player out there. Is this still going to be around in a few weeks?

What is the standard length of this driver?

I find it really disappointing that we're hearing nothing of the performance of this driver. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this would suggest that Cleveland is advancing driver technology not at all, and they have resorted to pretty packaging to sell their clubs. So with that, are they admitting there is nowhere to go technology-wise?

And while I do think the headcover looks cool, I also think the driver itself looks kind of clunky. Sorry Cleveland.

I find it really disappointing that we're hearing nothing of the performance of this driver. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this would suggest that Cleveland is advancing driver technology not at all, and they have resorted to pretty packaging to sell their clubs. So with that, are they admitting there is nowhere to go technology-wise?

And while I do think the headcover looks cool, I also think the driver itself looks kind of clunky. Sorry Cleveland.

JB said there would be much more to come and I am sure performance will be a part of it. This was just an unboxing and some initial thoughts.

The in hand pics are awesome! I love the colors on this club. When will it be available?

Back