Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

hey Kmac - if you were to consider the 270, would you consider the Black(if you could find a stiff flex)?

hey Kmac - if you were to consider the 270, would you consider the Black(if you could find a stiff flex)?

The Black driver? Probably not. Im not open minded. lol

Rumor has it the FLTC is out hammering the Classic right now and loves what he's seeing.

I heard that rumor. Can't wait to hear some details.

Here are a few drives I hit with the Classic 290 at Tour 18 Dallas last weekend. Some were asking about the sound recently and these videos will give you a good idea.

Good drive on hole 3 (Doral #18). Actually rolled through the fairway barely into the rough close to 300.
[video=youtube;yBqdHH-_OaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBqdHH-_OaY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]
This is a drive that went about 280 right down the middle with a slight draw on hole 7 (Harbortown #18).
[video=youtube;y-E9XOf80wQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-E9XOf80wQ&feature=player_detailpage[/video]
Another good one starting amen corner at 16. (Augusta #11)

Just thought I would help some of you who haven't seen or heard the Classic 290 in action. I am in love with this driver. Hit a solid 10 fairways with it again in this round. Double digit fairways hit in all but one round so far with this beauty.

thanks for the vids TH. Looks like you hit some solid drives. Love the commentary too

Nice buddy. Looking forward to checking those out.

LOL at your buddy in the first video. Great looking swing, man! I love the sound of this driver.

Tomahawk I'm loving the videos from that course dude. You hit some really good drives too! Thanks for posting those.

Rumor has it the FLTC is out hammering the Classic right now and loves what he's seeing.

I heard that rumor. Can't wait to hear some details.

I can confirm these rumors gentlemen. Today was the maiden voyage for the Classic. What I really want to type is OMFG! but that's not really appropriate. I hit this club on holes that I normally wouldn't, but hey, it's for the sake of feedback, and boy, if it wasn't impressive.

I will say that the first time I hit it, off the tee on Hole #2, I was very taken aback by the sound. I thought I broke something at first, LOL. Very muted "THUD" as opposed to the "TING" or "PING" I'm used to from the G20 and the R9. It wasn't bad or good, just different.

The ball just wants to go straight off this driver face. Anyone who's played any golf with me knows that I have one miss with the driver: a slice. Not a weak slice mind you, but what I refer to as the "Bubba Cut". I didn't see that shot at all today. While I did see some shots that moved right to left, I would call them "drifters" not slices.

I think it's great that I'm already confident in this driver. I found it incredibly easy to hit the gold section on the face and it really serves as a phenomenal alignment aid. I'm still not sure where I want to tee the ball up yet. I had great success tee'ing it up both low and high to be honest.

One thing found really interesting was how much better a premium, or Tour level, ball worked for me with this driver. I had all but decided to abandon the ZStar XV ball, but after today, it's definitely in the #1 slot. I was the first person out on the course so I played QStar vs. XV today. I rotated which ball I hit first off the tee on every hole, no matter what the outcome was. I hit 10/14 FIR's with the XV and 8/14 FIR's with the QStar. However, the XV absolutely destroyed the QStar in distance. This is something that I didn't see at all with the G20. I don't know what it means but I know I cannot sacrifice the 15-20 yards of additional distance I was seeing from the XV. Remember, this was rotating the golf balls on the tee so there wasn't a comfort advantage with one over the other.

I'm over the moon with my first time out results. I'm very pleased with my Kusala Black decision as well. I expected to see a lower ball flight but that just wasn't the case. I do believe that the XV flew a little lower than the QStar, and it definitely held it's line better, which again, wasn't something I was seeing with other drivers.

I have bad news for my competition at the Morgan Cup, and that's that this could be the straightest I've ever driven the ball. Not only did I hit 10/14 FIR's but I backed that up with 14/18 GIR's and a round of 1 under 71 in some pretty significant winds. Ruh Roh!!!!

I can confirm these rumors gentlemen. Today was the maiden voyage for the Classic. What I really want to type is OMFG! but that's not really appropriate. I hit this club on holes that I normally wouldn't, but hey, it's for the sake of feedback, and boy, if it wasn't impressive.

I will say that the first time I hit it, off the tee on Hole #2, I was very taken aback by the sound. I thought I broke something at first, LOL. Very muted "THUD" as opposed to the "TING" or "PING" I'm used to from the G20 and the R9. It wasn't bad or good, just different.

The ball just wants to go straight off this driver face. Anyone who's played any golf with me knows that I have one miss with the driver: a slice. Not a weak slice mind you, but what I refer to as the "Bubba Cut". I didn't see that shot at all today. While I did see some shots that moved right to left, I would call them "drifters" not slices.

I think it's great that I'm already confident in this driver. I found it incredibly easy to hit the gold section on the face and it really serves as a phenomenal alignment aid. I'm still not sure where I want to tee the ball up yet. I had great success tee'ing it up both low and high to be honest.

One thing found really interesting was how much better a premium, or Tour level, ball worked for me with this driver. I had all but decided to abandon the ZStar XV ball, but after today, it's definitely in the #1 slot. I was the first person out on the course so I played QStar vs. XV today. I rotated which ball I hit first off the tee on every hole, no matter what the outcome was. I hit 10/14 FIR's with the XV and 8/14 FIR's with the QStar. However, the XV absolutely destroyed the QStar in distance. This is something that I didn't see at all with the G20. I don't know what it means but I know I cannot sacrifice the 15-20 yards of additional distance I was seeing from the XV. Remember, this was rotating the golf balls on the tee so there wasn't a comfort advantage with one over the other.

I'm over the moon with my first time out results. I'm very pleased with my Kusala Black decision as well. I expected to see a lower ball flight but that just wasn't the case. I do believe that the XV flew a little lower than the QStar, and it definitely held it's line better, which again, wasn't something I was seeing with other drivers.

I have bad news for my competition at the Morgan Cup, and that's that this could be the straightest I've ever driven the ball. Not only did I hit 10/14 FIR's but I backed that up with 14/18 GIR's and a round of 1 under 71 in some pretty significant winds. Ruh Roh!!!!
Great feedback TC, I am so glad you finally are gaming the Classic. I pretty much agree with everything you are saying. This driver is amazing.

Note to self, do not try this driver when the new golf store opens in town. I made a promise not to buy anything this season...

Great feedback TC, I am so glad you finally are gaming the Classic. I pretty much agree with everything you are saying. This driver is amazing.

I love it when a product just confirms what a lot of people are seeing dude. You were spot on from the first time you hit it: it's just good. I feel like I can hammer this thing. I like it.

I'm so glad to hear that combo worked for you. I just had a feeling that you'd be really well off with that head if you found the right shaft to match. I know what you mean about the sound too. I'm stills struggling to describe it but good swings feel like you're smashing the ball.

That is awesome TC. I knew you would love that driver. TC in the middle of the fairway each is bad for the other MC opponents.

Almost forgot - nice 71!

Almost forgot - nice 71!
Indeed TC. Great score with a new driver! You are going to be a force in the MC!

That is awesome TC. I knew you would love that driver. TC in the middle of the fairway each is bad for the other MC opponents.

I only missed 1 fairway with this driver today dude. I like it a lot.

The sound is very different. Not sure what to think about it, but I don't really care either.

I only missed 1 fairway with this driver today dude. I like it a lot.

The sound is very different. Not sure what to think about it, but I don't really care either.

I remember the sound when I hit it. Very dudish, but with great results. It sounds like the length is a bit longer than the G20. That is going to be great for you.

I remember the sound when I hit it. Very dudish, but with great results. It sounds like the length is a bit longer than the G20. That is going to be great for you.

Well, it's not a J40, so I'm not sure if I'm seeing massive increases in distance. I was in pretty similar spots today that I usually am in the past.

You think the 10.5 head was a good call with that shaft, TC? Sounds like you weren't way too low, which is probably relieving.

Well, it's not a J40, so I'm not sure if I'm seeing massive increases in distance. I was in pretty similar spots today that I usually am in the past.

So you are getting the same distance, but less slice. That will be great for you. You did have a little bit of a Bubba Cut with the G20. I can only imagine what scores you are going to produce now with that in your bag.

You think the 10.5 head was a good call with that shaft, TC? Sounds like you weren't way too low, which is probably relieving.

I think the 10.5* head gives me a little more comfort and confidence to get after it. I was seriously expecting low bullets or something and that just wasn't the case at all. I would love to try the same combo in a 9* head but I'm comfortable with what I'm seeing.

Is it weird to think that maybe this driver performs better with a tour level ball? The QStar just got clowned by this driver today. Wtc is that?

I'm confused about it.

So you are getting the same distance, but less slice. That will be great for you. You did have a little bit of a Bubba Cut with the G20. I can only imagine what scores you are going to produce now with that in your bag.

Yeah, very similar distance. One or two holes today I know I hit the Classic to places I've never been before with the G20, but not by much.

Back