Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Dang biggsy, I completely missed your unboxing there. I've gamed that shaft plenty in the past dude. You're going to be in heaven. I think you're going to have a combo in your hands that allows you to finally get after it, as opposed to trying to stear it.

JN, I hope the Blue does for you all you expect it to!

JN, I hope the Blue does for you all you expect it to!

At the price I got it for, if the experiment doesn't work, I'll happily go back to my C Kua. I just need the ball flight to lower just a bit, and I've had good experiences with heavier shafts in the past. I'm excited, dude!

That should be a killer combo. That is the combo that I am considering at the moment.

Are you going to be at the Outing?

No, unfortunately I can't make it or else I would be stealing one of the ones there :D

No, unfortunately I can't make it or else I would be stealing one of the ones there :D

Bummer. I thought you were going to be there so you could try biggsy's combo out. Doc, I'm going to be really honest with you. The CLassic head/Kusala Black shaft pairing is really special. I imagine you in the 61X would be ideal. I think you and I share a lot of common interest in being in that weight range without sacrificing launch.

Bummer. I thought you were going to be there so you could try biggsy's combo out. Doc, I'm going to be really honest with you. The CLassic head/Kusala Black shaft pairing is really special. I imagine you in the 61X would be ideal. I think you and I share a lot of common interest in being in that weight range without sacrificing launch.

I really wish Cleveland had fitting carts like the other companies. I can envision about 6 combinations that I think I would like. I wonder though if the 61X Black might be a bit much. I was thinking maybe the 72S in Black or Blue. I have enjoyed a little more launch, but I don't need more spin. Isn't that the Holy Grail of driver combos, mid-high launch with low spin. Question is what will get me there.

I really wish Cleveland had fitting carts like the other companies. I can envision about 6 combinations that I think I would like. I wonder though if the 61X Black might be a bit much. I was thinking maybe the 72S in Black or Blue. I have enjoyed a little more launch, but I don't need more spin. Isn't that the Holy Grail of driver combos, mid-high launch with low spin. Question is what will get me there.

I love fitting and have done many myself which includes fitting I had to be in the 43g C Kua/Classic combo that I am in now. As Teeth knows, I could have had any shaft in the Classic I wanted, and hit the Kusala in X and S as well as a couple of others and for me nothing compared to my numbers with the C Kua. I was reluctant, since I like a heavier shaft as well, but the numbers didn't lie, so I went with it and am very happy with the results.

My point here Teeth is I watched you hit the C Kua 43S/ Classic combo a couple of weeks ago and your results were awesome! You had a one or two snap hooks early, but absolutely bombed it for 20+ holes. I mean you hit a couple of drives out near 350, and hit a ton of fairways!! I get the feeling that you are shying away from the lightweight shaft and wonder why? I think a C Kua X may be a great option, but from what I saw at Chamber's, that 43S setup is about as good as you are going to find. All I am saying is check your launch numbers with the C Kua and if they measure up, dont be afraid to go with the stock offering.

As I had mentioned earlier, I missed the FedEx guy yesterday and thankfully I was able to sign the door slip knowing he would drop off the new Classic Driver at my front door today.

Even with the busy day, I could not keep my thoughts off the driver that was waiting for me when I got home from work. Sure enough, there was a box sitting at the door and I could not wait to get it open.

Just knowing that this came built exactly to my specs is such a thrill. Cleveland has been spot on with their builds and it's a real tribute to their attention to detail.

Here are a few pics I shot tonight as well as some thoughts on why I went with the specs I did:

I went with the Kusala Black 72X shaft. This is very similar to a weight I am comfortable with and it seems to be perfect for my swing tempo. I have never hit this particular shaft, but I did a lot of due diligence and read a lot on THP as well as got some advice from some fellow THPers to help with the shaft decision. I am beyond excited to see the ball flight it gives me. I also felt it would give me a good combination of feel going with a stiffer tip and softer butt. I tried a Kusala Blue last year that had an almost opposite Flex Code and I just couldn't get the feel I was looking for in the shaft.

Length on the shaft is 45.25", which is 1/2" longer than some of the other staffers. I did this for a couple of reasons. My last 3 drivers have ended up being this length, so there should be no learning curve there. One of the adjustments, if need be, is I could trim the butt of the shaft pretty easily.

4c650e3a-b936-efb0.jpg

It's hard to describe the artistry that goes into a Miyazaki shaft and pictures never seem to do them justice. Best way I can describe them is they are true works of art. I actually didn't realize there was blue mixed in with the shaft. Black and blue, a true bruiser! I like it, Miyazaki!

4c650e3a-ba38-ff62.jpg

4c650e3a-ba8d-6228.jpg

Flex Code on the shaft:

4c650e3a-bbdd-0ea7.jpg

I went with the 310 head due to a little extra weight as well as it's a tour head and a little open. It's something I am comfortable with and have had a great deal of success with them. Why I went away from it is beyond me. I've been missing it.

4c650e3a-bbe7-fe61.jpg

Just a random thought. I love how easily the headcover fits the club, but also how easily it comes on and off.

I'll get some more pics and feedback tomorrow and hopefully a video as well.

I really can't wait to hit it. Thanks again Cleveland Golf for stepping up and sponsoring this wonderful event. I feel very honored and privileged to represent your brand at the Morgan Cup in a few short months. You have supplied some wonderful tools thus far and thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks to THP for making it all possible. Your painstaking dedication and unwavering support make it all possible. Thank you for all you do.

john

Tappin from my iPad

I'm jealous Biggsy, that sounds like a really sick combo. Can't wait to see it in a couple weeks.

I wanted to like this club, I really did. I walked into Austad's, demo'd the Cleveland Classic 290, SL290, Taylormade RBZ, Ping G20, and Cobra ZL Encore. While I feel the Classic had by far the best looks out of all the clubs mentioned, I went with the Cleveland 290 as it just flat out performed better for me than any of the other clubs.

I wanted to like this club, I really did. I walked into Austad's, demo'd the Cleveland Classic 290, SL290, Taylormade RBZ, Ping G20, and Cobra ZL Encore. While I feel the Classic had by far the best looks out of all the clubs mentioned, I went with the Cleveland 290 as it just flat out performed better for me than any of the other clubs.

Perfectly alright. There will always be a best club for someone and it will be different across the board. The SL290 is a solid driver for sure!

I love fitting and have done many myself which includes fitting I had to be in the 43g C Kua/Classic combo that I am in now. As Teeth knows, I could have had any shaft in the Classic I wanted, and hit the Kusala in X and S as well as a couple of others and for me nothing compared to my numbers with the C Kua. I was reluctant, since I like a heavier shaft as well, but the numbers didn't lie, so I went with it and am very happy with the results.

My point here Teeth is I watched you hit the C Kua 43S/ Classic combo a couple of weeks ago and your results were awesome! You had a one or two snap hooks early, but absolutely bombed it for 20+ holes. I mean you hit a couple of drives out near 350, and hit a ton of fairways!! I get the feeling that you are shying away from the lightweight shaft and wonder why? I think a C Kua X may be a great option, but from what I saw at Chamber's, that 43S setup is about as good as you are going to find. All I am saying is check your launch numbers with the C Kua and if they measure up, dont be afraid to go with the stock offering.

TJ your pints are all right on. I got scared because the last two time I tried to get numbers with the Classic it was snap hook all day long. Now I know that it was my swing, but what I found with the original Mashie I had was this became the norm. When I went with the Mashie Tour with the heavier shaft, I have been much more consistent. But you are right, i was bombing this thing at Chambers which is what is bringing me back to it over and over.

TJ your pints are all right on. I got scared because the last two time I tried to get numbers with the Classic it was snap hook all day long. Now I know that it was my swing, but what I found with the original Mashie I had was this became the norm. When I went with the Mashie Tour with the heavier shaft, I have been much more consistent. But you are right, i was bombing this thing at Chambers which is what is bringing me back to it over and over.
I want you to get whatever you want, and also want you to be totally happy with it. Just trying to give you an outside point of view. Your game has improved so much since we first met and our swings are fairly similar. Believe me, I was shocked that the lightweight shaft gave me the best numbers, so I know the felling of doubt you have. If was blindly ordering, I would have probably went with the Kusala as well. In the end, the stock was best for me.

That's a great choice. I did this last year several times and went with the one that gave me the best overall performance(LM and range), even though I wasn't thrilled with the looks of it. I'm really hoping the Classic or the Black can improve on what I found last year, I'm going to try all the others also, just in case.

I want you to get whatever you want, and also want you to be totally happy with it. Just trying to give you an outside point of view. Your game has improved so much since we first met and our swings are fairly similar. Believe me, I was shocked that the lightweight shaft gave me the best numbers, so I know the felling of doubt you have. If was blindly ordering, I would have probably went with the Kusala as well. In the end, the stock was best for me.

Shocked is a great way to describe it. I was shocked too at those two rounds. Whether I go with the C. Kua or the Kusala, there is no doubt that the C. Kua is a sweet shaft.

Hi Doc!!!

CLassic.jpg

Hi Doc!!!

CLassic.jpg

What are you doing to me?!?! That just looks sick with the Instagram magic! Adds to the retro goodness of this driver. Also, I love the head cover in this driver! So much to love!

hahahahaha! Sorry buddy. I know you're in driver ponder mode.

Now that is key, the flat out best performer won.

What are you doing to me?!?! That just looks sick with the Instagram magic! Adds to the retro goodness of this driver. Also, I love the head cover in this driver! So much to love!

I had to take the picture of the Classic with Instagram yesterday, it just seemed like a perfect match.

I'll show you what this can do tomorrow :alien2:
As I had mentioned earlier, I missed the FedEx guy yesterday and thankfully I was able to sign the door slip knowing he would drop off the new Classic Driver at my front door today.

Even with the busy day, I could not keep my thoughts off the driver that was waiting for me when I got home from work. Sure enough, there was a box sitting at the door and I could not wait to get it open.

Just knowing that this came built exactly to my specs is such a thrill. Cleveland has been spot on with their builds and it's a real tribute to their attention to detail.

Here are a few pics I shot tonight as well as some thoughts on why I went with the specs I did:

I went with the Kusala Black 72X shaft. This is very similar to a weight I am comfortable with and it seems to be perfect for my swing tempo. I have never hit this particular shaft, but I did a lot of due diligence and read a lot on THP as well as got some advice from some fellow THPers to help with the shaft decision. I am beyond excited to see the ball flight it gives me. I also felt it would give me a good combination of feel going with a stiffer tip and softer butt. I tried a Kusala Blue last year that had an almost opposite Flex Code and I just couldn't get the feel I was looking for in the shaft.

Length on the shaft is 45.25", which is 1/2" longer than some of the other staffers. I did this for a couple of reasons. My last 3 drivers have ended up being this length, so there should be no learning curve there. One of the adjustments, if need be, is I could trim the butt of the shaft pretty easily.

4c650e3a-b936-efb0.jpg

It's hard to describe the artistry that goes into a Miyazaki shaft and pictures never seem to do them justice. Best way I can describe them is they are true works of art. I actually didn't realize there was blue mixed in with the shaft. Black and blue, a true bruiser! I like it, Miyazaki!

4c650e3a-ba38-ff62.jpg

4c650e3a-ba8d-6228.jpg

Flex Code on the shaft:

4c650e3a-bbdd-0ea7.jpg

I went with the 310 head due to a little extra weight as well as it's a tour head and a little open. It's something I am comfortable with and have had a great deal of success with them. Why I went away from it is beyond me. I've been missing it.

4c650e3a-bbe7-fe61.jpg

4c650e3a-bbf1-f5fa.jpg

Just a random thought. I love how easily the headcover fits the club, but also how easily it comes on and off.

I'll get some more pics and feedback tomorrow and hopefully a video as well.

I really can't wait to hit it. Thanks again Cleveland Golf for stepping up and sponsoring this wonderful event. I feel very honored and privileged to represent your brand at the Morgan Cup in a few short months. You have supplied some wonderful tools thus far and thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks to THP for making it all possible. Your painstaking dedication and unwavering support make it all possible. Thank you for all you do.

john

Tappin from my iPad

Just got done hitting the Classic at the range for the first time and I'm pretty blown away. I'll have some video and pics up a little later.

Just got done hitting the Classic at the range for the first time and I'm pretty blown away. I'll have some video and pics up a little later.
I can't wait to see and mostly hear what it sounds like when you hit the Classic Biggsy!

I saw the 310 for the first time yesterday. Weird, the "tour" head had a more shallow face. Smaller all around in that department. Wonder why?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I saw the 310 for the first time yesterday. Weird, the "tour" head had a more shallow face. Smaller all around in that department. Wonder why?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

May be for enhanced workability?

Back