Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I saw the 310 for the first time yesterday. Weird, the "tour" head had a more shallow face. Smaller all around in that department. Wonder why?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

The Tour is a smaller head all around. It is 440cc compared to 460cc on the others.

This has become my favorite thread to read lately. So many great write ups and discussion about this club. You guys are doing a great job with your thoughts and reviews so keep it up and keep me drooling till I have mine.

I played my new classic 270 on Sat. Inconsistent both on the range and during play...but I hit two in the fairway over 260 which is long for me. Was suffering from slice and fades on most. I do remember not hitting a drive particularly well and was amazed to walk up to my ball which was through the fairway ! Made it to the range today and remembered a couple comments about choking up a little bit. I made two small adjustments. First I moved the ball slightly forward in my stance thinking the club head just wasn't getting square and I choked down about a half inch. Cannot remember ever hitting a driver better, most dead straight, long, and piercing flight. Hit 30 to 40 with the driver...I am so pumped to get back to the course...hope it carries over. I am hitting a 10.5 reg flex 270 and am a happy hacker!

I played my new classic 270 on Sat. Inconsistent both on the range and during play...but I hit two in the fairway over 260 which is long for me. Was suffering from slice and fades on most. I do remember not hitting a drive particularly well and was amazed to walk up to my ball which was through the fairway ! Made it to the range today and remembered a couple comments about choking up a little bit. I made two small adjustments. First I moved the ball slightly forward in my stance thinking the club head just wasn't getting square and I choked down about a half inch. Cannot remember ever hitting a driver better, most dead straight, long, and piercing flight. Hit 30 to 40 with the driver...I am so pumped to get back to the course...hope it carries over. I am hitting a 10.5 reg flex 270 and am a happy hacker!

I think you're the first to get a 270 version of the driver. Glad that you're happy with it!

Just got done hitting the Classic at the range for the first time and I'm pretty blown away. I'll have some video and pics up a little later.
Im pretty excited about seeing you bomb this one Biggsy.

I alluded to it earlier, but I got to the range this afternoon with the Cleveland Classic Driver. My post earlier was just pure emotion just minutes after hitting the club and watching the videos I had taken. I wanted an organic response at that moment.

Here are my thoughts right out of the box:

Looks: I haven't been very vocal about how I felt about the looks but have mentioned it a few times that I wasn't crazy about the throwback look. Well I hit the club for the first time outside and I must say the looks are really growing on me. I like the simplicity of the design from the single "Classic" alignment on the crown to the sole to the persimmon look finish on the that crown. When you get this outside in the sun and you just appreciate the effort that went into the technology and the design, it's hard not to appreciate the club's looks. I'm becoming a fan.

Setup: Very clean at address, easy to align with the "Classic" lettering on the crown. It appears to be more toe up than some other drivers to me at the same shaft length.

Sound and Feel: Very muted thud and not clanky. Very different, yet pleasant. I notice very little vibration in my hands, so a superior feel. Considering the number of shafts I hit from the Miyazaki line when demoing this driver, I would say the Kusala Black had a lot to do with that feel.

Shot Shape and Trajectory: I hit about 20 shots on the range. Let me just take a moment to say that the ball really jumps off the face and has a very straight penetrating flight, like a missile taking off.

My first shot was a little off the heel and ballooned with a slight fade and would have probably missed a fairway. I had it teed a little high and the alignment was off. Hey, it was the first shot.

The next 19 or so shots were just divine. I think a good majority of them would have hit the fairway, if not, they would have been close. I seemed to pull about a third them about 10-15 yards off target when the ball landed, a few I had a slight fade that started at my target and the rest were fairly straight on target for me, although from the angle of the video from the rear, I may pull out my alignment sticks. It may just be the angle of the camera, but it looked a little off. If I had to guess, I was getting a 10-12 degree launch angle, which is ideal for me.

You'll notice from my video that a few I really went after and were just monster shots and the shaft just stayed right with me. Yet, if I just went 80% on a shot, I still got a good deal of distance, unbelievable control and a great ball flight. I was really pleased to see that.

Here is a video from the side and rear that will give you an idea of the sound and just how quick the ball jumps off the face.

[video=youtube;rMNOak-UxbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNOak-UxbM[/video]

I have two rounds scheduled with THPers in Orlando tomorrow, so I am sure they will take some swings and I'll be able to get some distance numbers to go with the range work from today.

I really am beyond excited to get this out on the course tomorrow to see how it works with non range balls and real course conditions. So much so, I can't sleep. Just wanted to once again, and this cannot be said enough, that I feel unbelievably grateful for being a part of this event and for being able to represent Cleveland Golf and THP. Thank you again.

Sounds good, looks good, and looked to me like you were hittin those balls a ton Biggs. Thanks for the feedback. Can't wait for my 290 w/Kusala White!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Super videos there biggsy! It looks like you and that club are really going to get along.

I like it biggsy! Looks like you're just turning and ripping!

Nice videos there Biggsy. I get the feeling that you are hitting the ball a long ways with this setup.

Looking forward to the feedback from today's rounds.

nice vids Biggsy. Sounds like you were hitting it well and just unleashing hell on those range balls. Looking forward to some videos from todays round

great update on the Classic biggsy! best of luck on the course today with the big stick.
very envious...i really, really want mine to be here now!

Finally got to hit one of these today, man is it sweet! They didn't have the right combo for me though. I hit the 9* 290/43s (which was all they had in stiff flex) and the launch was a little low for me at 11-13*. I got excited when I saw a 270 10.5*, but is was a 39R. Oh well, I found another place later this evening that has some Classics I can hit in actual reality, so I'll be back there soon to do a shootout.

Nice vids big man! Thanks for sharing.

I watch Biggsy hit this 9.5* Cleveland Classic with Miyazaki Black x-stiff shaft to the moon. I'm not I've witnessed the ball being hit so high before yesterday.
On the opening hole of our second 18 he hit a towering fade down the middle of #1 on the north and was left with 50yds into the green, the hole measured 377.

I watch Biggsy hit this 9.5* Cleveland Classic with Miyazaki Black x-stiff shaft to the moon. I'm not I've witnessed the ball being hit so high before yesterday.
On the opening hole of our second 18 he hit a towering fade down the middle of #1 on the north and was left with 50yds into the green, the hole measured 377.

WOW!! That is flat out bombing it.

I really like the looks of this club. I've always thought that the persimmon clubs were visually far more appealing than their metal and composite counterparts. I think Cleveland has a real hit on their hands.Part of me wonders about the long term durability in the finish. Paint chipping is a very standard problem, and for some reason I think it will really detract here more than normal.

I really like the looks of this club. I've always thought that the persimmon clubs were visually far more appealing than their metal and composite counterparts. I think Cleveland has a real hit on their hands.Part of me wonders about the long term durability in the finish. Paint chipping is a very standard problem, and for some reason I think it will really detract here more than normal.
Why? I'm not saying you are wrong but just curious why you think that? Do you think Cleveland used inferior processes in the finishing of the Classic? I have had mine for 6 weeks and played 8 rounds on it and besides normal scraping on the bottom, it looks great.

I hit four balls with this guy today on the range and just stopped right there. All four were right in the center of the face and just beat by my standards. I felt the swing I had been working on since the lesson Monday and figured that was good enough for today. Taking it out for a scramble tomorrow, which should help me just swing away.

I hit four balls with this guy today on the range and just stopped right there. All four were right in the center of the face and just beat by my standards. I felt the swing I had been working on since the lesson Monday and figured that was good enough for today. Taking it out for a scramble tomorrow, which should help me just swing away.

Hope you didn't pay for a full bucket, lol.

I'm super jealous of all you guys with this stick. I have no idea if it would suite me or not, but still want that thing in my bag.

Always nice when you hit four balls so well you can put it back in the bag and walk away.

Always nice when you hit four balls so well you can put it back in the bag and walk away.

I'm always scared to keep going if things are going well haha. Always leave on a high note!

I'm always scared to keep going if things are going well haha. Always leave on a high note!

Testify! With how my range sessions have been going I'd walk away too if I bombed a drive or two. The shop at the course I played today carries Cleveland and I thought they might have a demo but no luck. I would have loved to take one out on the course. Demo day is coming soon.

Testify! With how my range sessions have been going I'd walk away too if I bombed a drive or two. The shop at the course I played today carries Cleveland and I thought they might have a demo but no luck. I would have loved to take one out on the course. Demo day is coming soon.

The pro shop at our club just got a couple late this week, but I don't think they got any demos either. Demo Day is the way to do it for sure. Hell, you could probably bring a couple out on the course to try some different lofts if you even wanted.

Hope you didn't pay for a full bucket, lol.

I'm super jealous of all you guys with this stick. I have no idea if it would suite me or not, but still want that thing in my bag.

I feel ya duey

Back