Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

The pro shop at our club just got a couple late this week, but I don't think they got any demos either. Demo Day is the way to do it for sure. Hell, you could probably bring a couple out on the course to try some different lofts if you even wanted.

A 270 10.5 stiff, a 290 10.5 stiff and whatever else I want to bring. One of the great things about demo day.

I got the "pleasure" of hitting a 7.5* 290 w/ Kusala Black X flex today. Ooooohhhh did that thing SUCK for me! Low low low hard draws ie "smother snap hooks".

Can't wait for my 10.5 Kusala White...more of a fit for me!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Oh yeah, BTW I go my invoice from the Pro Shop for my Classic with Kusala upgrade. Are we allowed to post ridiculously low prices in this thread?

Well look what just arrived. My Morgan Cup gamer is here and I will get pictures up tomorrow for everybody. The club looks unreal. Nice to see my favorite all time shaft for me installed in this beauty....Yorkem approved which meant a lot too.

The Black and Blue is going to go nuts on some matches in the Morgan Cup.

Well, I know I'm crazy, but I just picked up a pre-owned Razr Fit to challenge the Classic for the leadoff spot in my bag. I love my Classic, and I feel like I was the pied piper of the Classic for a little while around here. I have had some fantastic driving days with the Classic: I recently shot even par by hitting fairways all day, and just last week I played a really long course here in Atlanta (Georgia National) and only had 1 hole where I really didn't think I had a shot at reaching the green.

But, I tend to get a little wild with the Classic sometimes and spraying balls OB off the tee is not something I can tolerate.

I went to our club's "Mega Demo Day" and put the Classic to the test against Ping G20, Razr Fit, Mizuno MP whatever number, and R11S. Way too much spin out of the Mizuno and Taylormade offerings. G20 was very solid, but did not seem appreciably different from the Classic. Razr Fit provided a little more spin than the Classic, but the dispersion was just so much tighter. I hit a couple of low hooks when I first started swinging it, but after that there were no mishits at all. Razr Fit provided more spin, but still a tolerable amount (averaged about 3300 rpm).

So, like Jersey Nate, I will be having a shootout between the Classic and the Razr Fit. The catch is I only have 30 days before I have to decide whether to return the Fit. If I cannot hit long enough drives with the Fit, or if I find I hit just as many wild shots off the tee, then I know it will go back. If my fairways hit stats go up, then I may wind up with the classic distance vs. accuracy decision.

Well look what just arrived. My Morgan Cup gamer is here and I will get pictures up tomorrow for everybody. The club looks unreal. Nice to see my favorite all time shaft for me installed in this beauty....Yorkem approved which meant a lot too.

Pictures are all well and good, but we really need a video. :alien:

Seriously, I know that you're going to be happy with the Classic driver paired with the Kusala Blue shaft. I've been working way too hard recently, I need to get my Classic driver out for some more practice soon.

Can't wait to see the pics!

LOL @ Yorkem approved. That's pretty important around here lately.

Congrats on getting your driver. I reckon it's going to be perfect for you.

A little Cleveland Classic Promo for my friends. I believe even Yorkem would approve of this video.

LOL!!!! Pure awesome JB. I'm loving the 12* selection.

JB, love the combination, the awesomeness that is the Kusala blue, combined with 12* of loft on a low spin head! I can't wait to hear how you are hitting it. It just sounds like a bomber.

A little Cleveland Classic Promo for my friends. I believe even Yorkem would approve of this video.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on the shaft on this as the 12 degree 290 is what i am going to get.

Nice promo right there! I was expecting a keyboard reference lol.

I hit this about as good as I could today. Forgot to charge my GPS, so no impressive numbers to share, but I had some real success finding the fairway and hitting the ball with some good distance. I wasn't always the shortest of my group and I was even the longest a few times, which is a new one for this guy. I'm seeing a mid to mid/high ball flight with a mostly straight path.

I did sort of slice one and pulled the heck out of another, but all the others were very playable shots. My predominant miss today was towards the toe. About half on the gold and half off. Ball flight on this miss is almost straight, maybe a little draw and I think I'm losing about 10-15 yards or so. Not bad at all.

Ok put me in official ponder mode now, the wife just told me she will buy me a Classic so now to decide which shaft.

Have you hit it with the stock shaft, RW? I wouldn't overlook it. It's a solid shaft that works well with the lower launch from the head. Not ideal for everybody, but I like it quite a bit.

Yes I have and I have not decided to not do the stock shaft, just considering all the options. I am leaning toward keeping a Miyazuki stock, White, or maybe a silver in it but the Matrix Radix and a couple of others have me thinking also.

Options are good!

Yes they are. By the way sounds like you had a great round with your Classic.

Yes they are. By the way sounds like you had a great round with your Classic.

For sure. I was really happy today, especially after how poorly I was swinging last week.

Ok I have a question for you guys, I cant remember for sure but I know JB has gone with the 12 degree but has anyone else gone with this loft?

Just JB, though some have gone higher in loft that they typically might.

Hi JB, I have been doing some research on the Miyazaki line and saw in an old thread you got some great results with the White in the J40 head. Would be interested to know why you have opted for the Blue instead of the White for the Cleveland Classic? Was there something in the LM numbers that swayed you? Thanks

Hi JB, I have been doing some research on the Miyazaki line and saw in an old thread you got some great results with the White in the J40 head. Would be interested to know why you have opted for the Blue instead of the White for the Cleveland Classic? Was there something in the LM numbers that swayed you? Thanks

I love the white shaft, but went with blue because I went with a 12* head rather than 10.5.

I love the white shaft, but went with blue because I went with a 12* head rather than 10.5.

Thanks - makes sense. I was contemplating getting a sleeve for my 910 or a Classic with the heavier White 72g. My SS is around 106 but I have a neutral/negative AoA so I am always keen for a higher lofted/higher launching shaft without too much additional spin (I generally hit a gentle fade). Watching Tadashi hit the White in the J40 head was an eye opener, as I would have thought the soft tip in the White would increase spin. How does shaft weight e.g 61g vs 72g effect ball flight and spin? (if at all). Cheers

Ohhh so sad. My Cleveland driver won't be here until after I've already left for TN... And it'll be sitting here waiting for me to spank some balls with it for well over a week before I get back and it gets to do its job.

Back