Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I played this driver in my Club Championship today and it was money! I shot a slick little 73 and I'm in first place heading in to tomorrow :blob:

Dang, OG! That's a good 9 holes you put together there!!! :alien: :bulgy-eyes: :blob:

JK. Congrats and put em' all through the ringer again tomorrow (for me)/today!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Decided to try my Classic on every hole except par 3s yesterday and was amazed at results. I actually hit 13 fairways. I did not use it one par 4 and opted for 3w instead. It really surprised and positioned me to get on in two on several holes. I had made 6 pars on non yesterday which were a direct result of accurate and longer tee shots with the CC. I need more work on consistent striking with the long irons but the driver was clicking on all cylinders yesterday.

TapAhoy!

I think I need to try out this driver. Sounds like everyone loves it. SMG, how do you like it compared to the Fit?

Went to play at my old course yesterday and they are carrying these in stock, every time I see them I am more impressed with them. I asked if they had a demo I could take out and he didn't have one in yet but as soon as he gets one in he is going to let me take it out to try. I haven't been able to make it to any demo days in my area this year yet so I haven't been lucky enough to try a lot of clubs yet and this one has been at the top of my list.

Decided to try my Classic on every hole except par 3s yesterday and was amazed at results. I actually hit 13 fairways. I did not use it one par 4 and opted for 3w instead. It really surprised and positioned me to get on in two on several holes. I had made 6 pars on non yesterday which were a direct result of accurate and longer tee shots with the CC. I need more work on consistent striking with the long irons but the driver was clicking on all cylinders yesterday.

TapAhoy!

Niiiiice Keith. HOTD in your future?

Tappin' dat pad on tapatalk

Let me give a little update on the Classic Driver. As many that have followed along know, I am using the 12* with the Miyazaki Kusala Blue shaft in stiff. My launch numbers with this driver have been better than any driver I have ever hit without question. Do you know what that usually means? It means success for me.

This weekend at the Texas Tour Van event, this driver was on display for me and for the first time possibly in my life, I have no hesitation at pulling this ever. I was hitting it longer than ever this week and no question straighter. Two more rounds in a row in the 70s at a course I had never seen before after driving 1100 or so miles and I was thrilled to death.

The forgiveness I am seeing with the 12* head is superior to any that I have worked with. Add to that this Classic driver has the largest face I have ever seen in golf and the accuracy has been amazing to me.

Some see this and say 12 degrees? No way, I would ever do that, I would be hitting moon balls. But before you think that, remember that high balls that are still low spin (lower spin) is a wonderful combination.

Let me give a little update on the Classic Driver. As many that have followed along know, I am using the 12* with the Miyazaki Kusala Blue shaft in stiff. My launch numbers with this driver have been better than any driver I have ever hit without question. Do you know what that usually means? It means success for me.

This weekend at the Texas Tour Van event, this driver was on display for me and for the first time possibly in my life, I have no hesitation at pulling this ever. I was hitting it longer than ever this week and no question straighter. Two more rounds in a row in the 70s at a course I had never seen before after driving 1100 or so miles and I was thrilled to death.

The forgiveness I am seeing with the 12* head is superior to any that I have worked with. Add to that this Classic driver has the largest face I have ever seen in golf and the accuracy has been amazing to me.

Some see this and say 12 degrees? No way, I would ever do that, I would be hitting moon balls. But before you think that, remember that high balls that are still low spin (lower spin) is a wonderful combination.

Thats pretty solid stuff considering the number of drivers you have hit. I really liked this driver I was a little straighter with my gamer.

Nice update JB, BTW your not helping with my ponder haha. I personally like the high trajectory low spin driver shots so if a 12* head paired with the right shaft could do that I would game it in a heartbeat.

I really want to try out the 12 degree classic. Last week I hit a 12 degree G20 and hit it really well. The fitter said a high lofted driver might fit my swing better.

That's awesome JB! This combo has really piqued my interest, I just wish I had way to try one out.

This driver has just been absolutely ridiculous in 5 rounds now I have combined to hit 68% of fairways while only knocking 2 OOB. One of those being a ravine in the middle of the fairway that I had to hit 275 to clear. I hit one out on the toe a bit and still only missed clearing it by about 10 or less yards.

Accuracy, forgiveness, and distance has all went up more than I ever could have hoped for.

This is the tell tale sign of any great driver and I'll ask for others to chime in if they've had this same moment with the CC. You take your back swing and go plowing through the ball but right at that moment of contact you think to yourself "ahhh $h!?". You just screwed that one up you think to yourself only to start looking for your ball and finding it flying fairly straight, long, and still on or near the fairway. I know I have...more than once.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I am with you COLT! I played 36 yesterday and I hit an average of 70% of the fairways with the first and last nine of the day being 100%. It is amazing to feel so confident in my driving, because it has always been an area that I have had the least confidence in.

mines just arrived, cant wait to get on the course with it

Since this driver seems to be so straight for many people, is it difficult to work a draw or fade when needed?

Since this driver seems to be so straight for many people, is it difficult to work a draw or fade when needed?

Not at all. Having a huge face and proper balance lead to the forgiveness here, but there is absolutely no issue of moving one to either side that I have seen.

This driver is most definitely workable if you need to. I don't really have a draw, but I've worked fades very well with this driver, and have seen Golf4Life hit some nice draws with his.

I don't think I've ever even tried to do any workabilitying with the Classic, but the deep face makes me assume it can be done easily if desired.

I hit the ball pretty poorly over the weekend, but I think I only had three 'big' misses out of the bunch. I was back on the heel quite a bit, which really sapped the distance, but I was still left with a shot most of the time. Refresher lesson tonight, so I figure I might be ready to hit some long ones later in the week.

I will be happy if it just goes straight, non of this working the ball for me, i tend to slice right when i mess up and i am working on my swing path to fix it. However i will take any help i can get untill i get there.

Played 18 on Sunday at a course I haven't played in years. Used the Classic 290 off the tee on every par 4 and 5, mostly because I had no course knowledge and therefore my strategy was go long off the tee, and see what happens. It worked for the most part. Shot 79 and hit 8 of 13 fairways with only 2 of my misses putting me in a little bit of trouble. I hit 2 high fades (not my normal miss) that put me in some tree issues and had to hit punch runners towards the green. The other 3 missed fairways were less than 10 feet off the fairway and clear to the green.

HIGHLIGHTS: Almost drove a 325 yard par 4, had a 20 yard chip and birdied. Piped a ball right down the middle 300+ on a 474 yard (on the card, playing north of 480) par 4 and had 7 iron to a back pin. Split the fairway on the #1 tee (2nd toughest hole), 458 yard par 4. Had 152 to the flag.

In short, this Driver flat out performs for me and I see it in my bag for a long time. I never had that feeling with the R11. I liked it, but never loved it. I have a full on love affair right now with the Classic 290.

Played 18 on Sunday at a course I haven't played in years. Used the Classic 290 off the tee on every par 4 and 5, mostly because I had no course knowledge and therefore my strategy was go long off the tee, and see what happens. It worked for the most part. Shot 79 and hit 8 of 13 fairways with only 2 of my misses putting me in a little bit of trouble. I hit 2 high fades (not my normal miss) that put me in some tree issues and had to hit punch runners towards the green. The other 3 missed fairways were less than 10 feet off the fairway and clear to the green.

HIGHLIGHTS: Almost drove a 325 yard par 4, had a 20 yard chip and birdied. Piped a ball right down the middle 300+ on a 474 yard (on the card, playing north of 480) par 4 and had 7 iron to a back pin. Split the fairway on the #1 tee (2nd toughest hole), 458 yard par 4. Had 152 to the flag.

In short, this Driver flat out performs for me and I see it in my bag for a long time. I never had that feeling with the R11. I liked it, but never loved it. I have a full on love affair right now with the Classic 290.

I agree with pretty much everything you said here TJ! I am feeling so confident off the tee. I have never felt that way before!

Is the Classic head similar at all to the original Launcher head design? Just curious as I have a 2006 model Launcher that is the absolute best, longest and straightest, driver I have ever owned and I worry that it will break some day and leave me hunting for a replacement. I have tried other drivers, the most recent being an Adams F11 and it is a good driver, very good in fact, but it isn't as good.

I just got back from Golf Galaxy where I tried the 9.0 stiff 290 CC. It felt great but I hit mostly draws around 260 yards (according to the video screen). My average club head speed was 96mph and the ball speed was 140. The one thing the sales guy mentioned was that I might want to try a heavier shaft. I really want to pull the trigger on a CC but now I'm not so sure about what model/shaft to go with. I currently play a Cobra 460cc x-speed with XX shaft. Thanks for any help!

I just got back from Golf Galaxy where I tried the 9.0 stiff 290 CC. It felt great but I hit mostly draws around 260 yards (according to the video screen). My average club head speed was 96mph and the ball speed was 140. The one thing the sales guy mentioned was that I might want to try a heavier shaft. I really want to pull the trigger on a CC but now I'm not so sure about what model/shaft to go with. I currently play a Cobra 460cc x-speed with XX shaft. Thanks for any help!

I wish we could help more, but it's really hard to make a call like that via the internet. The smash factor there is pretty dang good. Was there a problem with the ball fight or dispersion that makes you want a heavier shaft?

Is the Classic head similar at all to the original Launcher head design? Just curious as I have a 2006 model Launcher that is the absolute best, longest and straightest, driver I have ever owned and I worry that it will break some day and leave me hunting for a replacement. I have tried other drivers, the most recent being an Adams F11 and it is a good driver, very good in fact, but it isn't as good.

I'd say that the two drivers are completely different in head shape, face, and design.

I wish we could help more, but it's really hard to make a call like that via the internet. The smash factor there is pretty dang good. Was there a problem with the ball fight or dispersion that makes you want a heavier shaft?
No, just that I mentioned to him that my usual ball flight is a slight fade. I guess I'm fine with a consistent draw, but would obviously prefer dead straight!

Back